• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lifestyle MV-22 Osprey Pilot?

J

JJax107

I was just wanting some real insight on the lifestyle of a MV-22 Osprey pilot (Marines). Tilt-Rotor is still new compared to rotary and fixed wing so theres not as much information out there yet. I see plenty of information about the tilt rotor pilot training and the actual Osprey itself, but not on the pilot lifestyle once you get into your job. Typical day? Ground job? Living locations-living quarters? Jobs after your first tour? Since its both like a helo and plane, what post career options do you have. does it count toward helicopter hours or fixed wing hours, both or neither?

Thanks guys

KBayDog

Osprey lifestyle? Well, starting this year, Osprey pilots will be able to serve openly for the first time. ;)

In all seriousness, Phrogdriver can probably best answer your questions, as he's been flying Ospreys since Guadalcanal.

J

JJax107

haha yea. its seems likes hes the only one on this whole board so far. ill send him PM

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Must be able to look in the mirror and say 'yeah, i'm kind of a big deal.'

Also, phrog isn't the only one, but I'll let the others come out of the closet themselves if they so choose.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The typical day is the same as a rotary-wing squadron in terms of collateral duties and such. The biggest difference is that for a training hop you might end up going a lot farther than in a helo.

Right now your duty stations are MCAS New River in Jacksonville, NC and MCAS Miramar in San Diego. That's it. I'll leave it to others to give the relative merits of each.

Right now, the V-22 community is like a roach motel--you check in, but don't check out. That's because there still aren't enough qualified pilots to fill all the required V-22 billets. Only a few senior field-grade have escaped. A few have gotten parole to EWS or C&S. Everyone else recycles into another fleet squadron, the FRS, group, or VMX. This should start to change over the next year or two. By the time you'd have to worry about it V-22 guys will take most of the same B-billets as other rotary-wing communities.

As far as the outside, I'll let you know when I get there. Very few V-22 pilots have gotten out yet, so it's hard to say. V-22 time is "powered lift," but you will have commercial airplane and helo certificates, if you choose to get them. It's up to employers how they want to characterize the time. I'd suspect that smaller companies might understand the value of V-22 time once one interviews, but bigger companies, with more rigid policies and hundreds of applicants, might be less willing to consider it.

J

JJax107

what is typical day like for rotary wing squadron? or do you have a link? do rotary wing officers live with and pretty much have same lifestyle as ground officers when deployed? a jet pilot might have job as maintanence officer on aircraft carrier or forward air controller as ground job etc. is this pretty much same for tilt and rotary wing pilots?

and is the primary mission for Ospreys transport of troops in the zone? and do Ospreys have the luxury to shoot off heat flares like the C-130? lol i know i alot of questions but this should answer it all

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
what is typical day like for rotary wing squadron? or do you have a link? do rotary wing officers live with and pretty much have same lifestyle as ground officers when deployed? a jet pilot might have job as maintanence officer on aircraft carrier or forward air controller as ground job etc. is this pretty much same for tilt and rotary wing pilots?

and is the primary mission for Ospreys transport of troops in the zone? and do Ospreys have the luxury to shoot off heat flares like the C-130? lol i know i alot of questions but this should answer it all

Most of this has been answered in many different threads. I'd do a search and come back with some more specific questions.

81montedriver

pilot

I would think that when deployed they have the same lifestyle as other tilt-rotor guys- Flying ISO their mission sets

FlyinRock

I am hopeful this Marine, or one of his classmates will know him and pass along the word. I'm ashamed to say I can't recall his name but he took time to find me to tell me he had been selected for Ospreys. He was one of my IFS studs at KBFM a number of years ago. I know I'll recognize the name instantly but what can you do when you are afflicted with old timers? If any of it rings a bell, please help out an old gray haired fart?
Meantime, my training as a sim instructor at LAFB moves along at a brisk pace. Learning the new language is just one of the challenges and being back on an active duty base is too. They have me isolated lest I taint the USAF instructors!! Pretty good bunch of people overall and we all have a lot in common even if from different points of view.
Semper Fi
Rocky

J

JJax107

Most of this has been answered in many different threads. I'd do a search and come back with some more specific questions.

I hear ya talking, but my questions also asked for a link. Because I did search and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Lots on the lifestyle of c-130 pilots and jets. But not helos or
props. I'll be waiting or just PM me

I would think that when deployed they have the same lifestyle as other tilt-rotor guys- Flying ISO their mission sets

Ok so again exactly what is that? You're not flying all the time. And you will have other jobs other than flying Osprey all day.

This made me laugh

Lol coming in 2016!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I am hopeful this Marine, or one of his classmates will know him and pass along the word. I'm ashamed to say I can't recall his name but he took time to find me to tell me he had been selected for Ospreys. He was one of my IFS studs at KBFM a number of years ago. I know I'll recognize the name instantly but what can you do when you are afflicted with old timers? If any of it rings a bell, please help out an old gray haired fart?
Meantime, my training as a sim instructor at LAFB moves along at a brisk pace. Learning the new language is just one of the challenges and being back on an active duty base is too. They have me isolated lest I taint the USAF instructors!! Pretty good bunch of people overall and we all have a lot in common even if from different points of view.
Semper Fi

Rocky
Do you know if he was a Whiting or Corpus guy?

FlyinRock

I dont recall. When he came to talk to me I don't even remember if it was in Bay Minette or KBFM. the time frame was kind of mixed but I think it was at Bay Minette. I do know he was jazzed and said he had the best of both worlds and knew I'd appreciate it being both FW/RW.
Semper Fi
Rocky

81montedriver

pilot
JJax107 said:
Ok so again exactly what is that? You're not flying all the time. And you will have other jobs other than flying Osprey all day.

"Support the MAGTF commander by providing tactical mobility and logistical support for the MAGTF, day or night, in all weather conditions by conducting mission essential tasks, which include shipboard operations, sea and air deployment operations, air assault, amphibious assaults and raids, distribution of supplies and other transport services, joint personnel recovery, and conduct of noncombatant evacuation."

There you go. Amazing what a quick search will find you.

phrogpilot73

I hear ya talking, but my questions also asked for a link. Because I did search and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Lots on the lifestyle of c-130 pilots and jets. But not helos or props. I'll be waiting or just PM me
I guess we should just spoon feed you everything, huh? Amazingly enough - I found out a lot of this stuff pre-Internet days...

Don't hold your breath waiting for me to answer or to PM you. It's on this website - just search.