• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

CellShock

Hey everyone! I'm going through the thread and finding a lot of great info that I'd like to take a look at more. Especially regarding the mechanical comprehension section, which I'm struggling with the most. Wondering, however, if it would be a bad idea to reschedule my exam date as I've done that once already. I'd like to do as well as I can the first time around and avoid having to wait to retake it. Anyone know if that would tick off the recruiter or would he not care? I don't want to make a bad impression.
Brush up on your mechanical concepts and take the test, you'll be fine if you prepare. Be relaxed and be confident.

pYn9590

Brush up on your mechanical concepts and take the test, you'll be fine if you prepare. Be relaxed and be confident.
Appreciate the encouragement! I've been focusing on the mechanical comprehension portion of the test for the past couple days. Some of it goes over my head but I'm feeling more confident than I was a week ago. Though I think I could use a couple more days to prepare (plus some extra days to review the other sections). So I think I'll reschedule the exam for next week (was planning on taking it Thursday). Hopefully it won't reflect too badly on me.

Intel101

Ready too see my dream come a reality
Took my test earlier today and got a 50. Wanted a higher score but I can live with this.

Math: had a lot of DRT questions. Questions such as how far did did a jet go if it rate is 600 mph for 1200 seconds. Or what the speed of a jet given the sitance and time. Really basic DRT questions. I was waiting for questions such as one car leaves at this speed and 2nd CSR leaves two hours later going 20mph faster but I never got it. Also had exponent questions such as 5^-2. Then I had a more difficult one and my final answer was like 1/625x^3y^2.....so know your exponent rules and what to do when you have a negative exponent. Had a lot of geometry questions like 5...what height of triangle given base and area.....I received the radian questions 7pi/4= what degrees? Also got average questions I was prepared for these but I didn't get the difficult ones when they ask % of finals exams, homework and participation. Just very basic. Finding the next two score or one. Very easy. Also got a question about the shadow and tree asking. Also got probability nothing too difficult... One question dealing with dice. The math section only lasted 15 min for me and I probably answered 85-90% correct. I was surprised I received logarithms at the rate I was going but oh well

English. I did horrible at this section and I think this what brought down my score. The answers were so closely related. I ran out of time on this section.

Mechanics. A lot of spring problems and electricity. Know the affects of pressure and volume. The rate of falling things and pulley and levers. I got no gear questions.

Thanks to all the people who left previous post. If it wasn't for this site and all the study guides floating around I know for sure I would have failed. Awesome site! If anybody has questions don't be afraid to DM me.

Since y’all’s insights into the ASTB were so helpful for me, I wanted to pay it forward for the next people. I scored 64 8/7/7 which isn’t stellar but not bad.

The math section was difficult. I had about half word problems, none of which were super hard. Same as the others, test scores needed and a weighted test score problem, work together problems, rate problems, etc. I had the perfect number question posted earlier, a matrix multiplication problem, a couple logarithms, and a series question. I remember a question that had a cylinder inside a box and have to calculate something about the box. Also there were two cylinders with the same height, and you were given the volume of one and had to find the volume of the other. Most of the question’s I did not know, I said to myself “I knew I should have studied that.” I took my time and time did run out on this section.

The reading section was just as expected but the adaptive testing messed with me. I would feel so confident about an answer and then the next one would be easier. Know the Navy definitions of words stated earlier on here; shall, should, etc. I prayed for this section to stop because of how boring it was . It did finally stop with a couple minutes left.

Mechanical comprehension was a blur so I can’t be much help here. I did have several calculations. I had a question about a roller coaster and which track was better for someone when upside down, an oval or a circle. I had fluid question about velocity when the pipe gets bigger. That’s all I remember.

The Aviation/Nautical information was fairly easy. There are so many resources for this. I used quizlet flashcards mostly. I had a question about VASI, about what a cowling was, what the post for mounting things underneath the wing is called (I thought It was a pylon), color of light on the port side of a ship. This section was fairly easy so I don’t remember much. It cut me off way early.

There is nothing to say about the traits section. I want to call it stupid, but that is just what it looks like to an uninformed outsider.

The performance based measures are difficult. The compass trick works. Do the practice round a few times, just click the back button when you get to the end. It reads you the direction aloud slowly so what I did was orient my compass while it was talking and clicked just after finished. Someone earlier mentioned not listening and just reading, but if there was reading, I didn’t notice it because the listening worked well for me. Probably averaged 4 seconds and I missed 3. Tilting your head works and stay very focused, no wandering thoughts, they read it slowly and by itself is pretty easy. Joystick and throttle together is super difficult because the throttle pushes forward to move it up and the joystick pulls back to move it up. Finally, the emergency procedures were not any more difficult. You have to turn the knobs regardless of whether they are in the right position. Turn them and then turn them back to the proper position then push the clutch.

Hope someone finds some of this helpful. If you have anything specific pm me. Please read the last 50 pages of this thread as it will help you tremendously. Thanks to everyone before me who already shared so much.

AFSSgt10

Just finished taking the test! My scores were
Oar: 49
Aqr: 5
Pfar: 4
Fofar: 5

Talked to the recruiter about becoming a pilot but he said he is not sure if I got what I needed ( due to him driving at the moment).

exNavyOffRec

Just finished taking the test! My scores were
Oar: 49
Aqr: 5
Pfar: 4
Fofar: 5

Talked to the recruiter about becoming a pilot but he said he is not sure if I got what I needed ( due to him driving at the moment).

Study and re-take you don't qualify to apply for SNA