• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

Michael Andrew

I want to apply for the SWO program. I just graduated from the University of Miami with a dual major degree in Exercise Physiology and Philosophy with a 3.1 GPA. I've purchased some ASTB study materials. How competitive are the SWO programs?

HawaiiIDC

PRO-REC Y IP 1820
SWO is the least competitive designator to get recommended for. I have seen anywhere from a 80%-100% acceptance rate.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SWO is the least competitive designator to get recommended for. I have seen anywhere from a 80%-100% acceptance rate.
Are you sure about that? It wasn't long ago that SWO was more difficult. I am not sure now, but just consider the numbers. Not many SWO slots compared to Aviation. Your observations have to be considered from your vantage point. I'll take the word of one of our members that is a current or recent recruiter.

exNavyOffRec

That was an anomaly, normally it is much much much lower, something that has helped the select rate is they only look at those who put SWO 1 or 2 so now those that put it 3, 4, or 5 are not considered.

Historically the highest selection rate is Pilot followed by NFO, and that is because it has a lower age limit, and you have to meet additional requirements so you get a smaller pool of applicants for more billets

Edit: SWO also has a higher GPA minimum 2.8 so fewer people able to apply now.

Michael Andrew

That was an anomaly, normally it is much much much lower, something that has helped the select rate is they only look at those who put SWO 1 or 2 so now those that put it 3, 4, or 5 are not considered.

Historically the highest selection rate is Pilot followed by NFO, and that is because it has a lower age limit, and you have to meet additional requirements so you get a smaller pool of applicants for more billets

Edit: SWO also has a higher GPA minimum 2.8 so fewer people able to apply now.

Is there a minimum OAR score as well? I've been told to shoot for a 50, but I'm just wondering if a 45 or something close would be considered good enough. I haven't taken the ASTB yet but I've been doing practice questions. I seem to do very well on the reading part, but the math and mechanical sections are my weaknesses.

dbluestyle

Active LS2 with five years of service
BS in Human Resource Management (UMUC)
2.92 GPA
ASTB: 47 5/5/6
Interviews are pretty good from an O4 and two O3's (Currently routing CO's approval)
Evals (EP, EP, MP, EP)
ACFL, AUPC, OPTAR Program Manager
Programs applying: AMDO, Supply, and SWO.
Was originally applying for NFO but the waiver given was only 39 months instead of the full 48.

Any feedback will be greatly apprecaited.

exNavyOffRec

Active LS2 with five years of service
BS in Human Resource Management (UMUC)
2.92 GPA
ASTB: 47 5/5/6
Interviews are pretty good from an O4 and two O3's (Currently routing CO's approval)
Evals (EP, EP, MP, EP)
ACFL, AUPC, OPTAR Program Manager
Programs applying: AMDO, Supply, and SWO.
Was originally applying for NFO but the waiver given was only 39 months instead of the full 48.

Any feedback will be greatly apprecaited.

I would resubmit the waiver for NFO, it is odd to not get the full 48 month waiver as long as you can commission by age 31, with that low GPA and not in an aviation rate/experience AMDO is a very long shot.

dbluestyle

NavyOffRec,

Thank you very much for the response. I will request another waiver, I was told by several people here that I couldn't get another waiver, If I get the full 48 months I would definitely retake my ASTB(that was my first time taking it).

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

Thank you very much for the response. I will request another waiver, I was told by several people here that I couldn't get another waiver, If I get the full 48 months I would definitely retake my ASTB(that was my first time taking it).

when do you turn 31?

dbluestyle

I would ask again, you should have no problem going to board and getting to OCS in plenty of time, you might even be able to get to board and OCS with the 39 month waiver if your application is ready to go
NavyOffRec,

Thank you for the information. I have my package ready to go. There is a board in October, if I get picked up, do you think I will be able to commission before 21 February 2016? I already requested a new waiver letter, hopefully i get the full 48 months this time.

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

Thank you for the information. I have my package ready to go. There is a board in October, if I get picked up, do you think I will be able to commission before 21 February 2016? I already requested a new waiver letter, hopefully i get the full 48 months this time.

maybe