• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Interesting Air Superiority article

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's more? I just keep scanning for another post from Catmando - that's good stuff!

OK, here’s one titled “How Wrong We Were.”

On my first cruise aboard the USS Midway, there were these little strange pipes sticking up out of the deck, one or more next to each chair in the ready room. One day the Skipper decided he wanted a new colorful RR deck, so our metal smiths spent several nights with hammer, chisels and grinders getting rid of these useless pipes.

As we know, it was thought that before Vietnam, the days of WVR were over with our new BVR missiles. Thus no gun on the F-4. Moreover it was thought that the F-4s primary mission would be BVR intercepts of inbound hostiles at very high altitudes.

For this F-4 envisioned mission it was believed that our crews would need to be in fully pressurized flight suits for these high altitude intercepts. So our ready room – even after a recent major overhaul and 6 years into the Vietnam War - still had these archaic little pipes sticking up a few inches above the deck … for crews briefing to hook up to with their full pressure suits.

navymk4-03 (1).jpg

Renegade One

None
...So our ready room – even after a recent major overhaul and 6 years into the Vietnam War - still had these archaic little pipes sticking up a few inches above the deck … for crews briefing to hook up to with their full pressure suits.

View attachment 14751
I recall using the air flow from these when we wore "ventilated wet suits" onboard several CVs (cold WX ops)…they really helped us stay comfortable during briefs and/or alert 15s in the RR.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another thing planned for that never (thankfully) developed was tactical nuclear air warfare. Navy crews were issued lily-white flight suits, torso harnesses, and gold visors to protect from the nuclear flash.

Later while the gold visors and white flight suits had all disappeared because guys wanted them, hundreds of ugly white torso harnesses sat unwanted in supply. To get rid of them, every SNA arriving to VT-7 was issued an ugly white torso harness, like it or not! We couldn’t wait to get out of the squadron and pitch them.

ma2nuclear.jpg z3antignuclear.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another thing planned for that never (thankfully) developed was tactical nuclear air warfare. Navy crews were issued lily-white flight suits, torso harnesses, and gold visors to protect from the nuclear flash.

Later while the gold visors and white flight suits had all disappeared because guys wanted them, hundreds of ugly white torso harnesses sat unwanted in supply. To get rid of them, every SNA arriving to VT-7 was issued an ugly white torso harness, like it or not! We couldn’t wait to get out of the squadron and pitch them.

View attachment 14752 View attachment 14753
I keep reading about things like that, the Davy Crockett, and the nuclear-tipped SA-2, SA-5, and Nike Hercules. It never ceases to amaze me how at one time we planned to chuck nukes around in a war like so many rocks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I keep reading about things like that, the Davy Crockett, and the nuclear-tipped SA-2, SA-5, and Nike Hercules. It never ceases to amaze me how at one time we planned to chuck nukes around in a war like so many rocks.

Even better, there was Green Light, where Delta operators would jump with 'backpack nukes' behind enemy lines to destroy mountain passes and other enemy lines of advance. Originally for Eastern Europe, the plan was revived for the Iranian border in the event of a Soviet invasion toward the Gulf, once that became the thing we freaked out about.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Would have been a great time behind the boat in that get-up :)

Actually, the Hornet still has the little knob in the cockpit for adjusting the temp of the air flow to such a suit. Not sure if that was intended for some old variant of an exposure suit, or a partial pressure suit, but it's there on the right console, completely non-functional.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
And the fucking nuke enable switch, which is wired backwards half the time and always records the wrong DDI

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would have been a great time behind the boat in that get-up :)

Actually, the Hornet still has the little knob in the cockpit for adjusting the temp of the air flow to such a suit. Not sure if that was intended for some old variant of an exposure suit, or a partial pressure suit, but it's there on the right console, completely non-functional.
Interesting...probably 'poopie-suit' air conditioning, rather than pressurization-suit pressurization, maybe?

OT - There were some times where I was also, ah, maybe, "completely non-functional," albeit still government supported and subsidized.
But OPSEC precludes me from exposing said experience(s).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And the fucking nuke enable switch, which is wired backwards half the time and always records the wrong DDI

welcome to the fleet brother......enjoy that dick dance :) You will know how to reach that stupid thing by feel very soon at least. The viper has one too, though it has no actual function as far as I can tell.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Interesting...probably 'poopie-suit' air conditioning, rather than pressurization-suit pressurization, maybe?

OT - There were some times where I was also, ah, maybe, "completely non-functional," albeit still government supported and subsidized.
But OPSEC precludes me from exposing said experience(s).

yeah, I think it is some old poopie suit we dont wear anymore. Sadly, the current poopie suit has no apparatus for "ventilation". Mine is currently in the furthest reaches of my wife's walk in closet, having been angrily thrown there months ago because I hate it so much.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the record, I've worn my dry suit exactly once in my career. Nobody could fit their G-suit over the dry suit, so we said "fuck it" and went without. Good times.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Me too. I believe the evolution was referred to as "the fitting process." 10 years later, it expired and I haven't seen it since.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's ports for drysuit ventilation in the back of the E-2. Hasn't been used in living memory, and nobody was even sure if they still worked. I always figured it was for NBC suits or something.

I wore my drysuit exactly once in the Fleet, but we wore them all the time in Pax River. Nothing like stripping it off at the end of a flight and filling the paraloft with five hours of vacuum-sealed farts...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For the record, I've worn my dry suit exactly once in my career. Nobody could fit their G-suit over the dry suit, so we said "fuck it" and went without. Good times.
Every W-237 flight. Even the ones in June. With PRs on hand to adjust/readjust G-suits. God, that thing is/was a pain in the ass.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Every W-237 flight. Even the ones in June. With PRs on hand to adjust/readjust G-suits. God, that thing is/was a pain in the ass.

I never had one, but the new drysuits looked better - the ones with the integrated nomex exterior so you don't have to wear a bag over it.