• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just selected, and got....

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
All good stuff.
The point was, and remains, if you're in a hurry to rack up your PIC hours (not 2P or some sort of SCT) then you're going to accomplish that fastest when you're the only with a set of controls.

Years ago when you, me, and GatorDev were all going through, I distinctly remember people telling me that if you wanted to go to the airlines you "had" to select a big airframe, multi-engine, multi-crew with long mission profiles to rack up the hours. While there are a lot good reasons to select MPRA, those are not distinct advantages over TACAIR - at least in this guys opinion.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The point was, and remains, if you're in a hurry to rack up your PIC hours (not 2P or some sort of SCT) then you're going to accomplish that fastest when you're the only with a set of controls.

Years ago when you, me, and GatorDev were all going through, I distinctly remember people telling me that if you wanted to go to the airlines you "had" to select a big airframe, multi-engine, multi-crew with long mission profiles to rack up the hours. While there are a lot good reasons to select MPRA, those are not distinct advantages over TACAIR - at least in this guys opinion.
Not arguing perception or what was, just the reality of today's hiring and my opinion of future hiring with the airlines. The hiring departments all understand the background differences, and quite honestly military guys are given a leg up on their civilian counterparts in some respects (civilians have the advantage of flow through rights). What the HR decision making computer algorithm is looking for on any given day is a mystery to most of us (is it hours, currency, quals, who you know? etc), but it is apparent that the majors value both JET and Large Aircraft backgrounds from their prospective new hires. Shrug, YMMV and I personally think that the hiring hurdles are only going to drop further as hiring continues. It just depends on when a JO is looking at getting out and entering the fray to get hired at the airlines. The hiring wave already started a year and a half ago (roughly) and the peak of the hiring will be around 2020-2022 (depending on which airline you are discussing).

Regardless I am curious what first tour JOs are leaving with for total hours, especially in light of how heavily the P8 relies on SIMs for the syllabus and flight hour reductions. In our time frame, there were P3 pilots on 42 month tours that were leaving with close to 1800 hours (and 900++ of that was PIC, Circa 2002)!!! I left my first tour three months early in 2004 during redstripe and still walked out with ~1450 hours. Part of the reason I avoided the boat (the other reason was a 2 year non flying staff tour in Japan, kill me now!) and was determined to keep flying as a priority. I had more hours during my DH tour than my CO and any of my DH peers. The only one close was the guy who did a VT tour and also went to VPU vice the boat.

All I am trying to say is that an SNA should talk to as many people as possible with varying backgrounds to get an idea of the plane and mission they want to fly. Bad gouge and VT instructors with shitty attitudes still exist from when we went through, but I would argue that there are more than enough VT IP guys and gals that can give you some solid advice and point the young SNA in the right direction to make a decision (if the "Needs of the Navy" even allows for that! :)). Anyways, best of luck with selection to the SNAs on here, and regardless of what airframe you get, you will love your first tour if you go in with an open mind and positive mindset.

End soapbox... The studying NEVER ends, back to prepping for my recurrent training back at the school house (similar to NX). Flash cards STILL work for me! :)

Last edited:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It will be interesting to see what the purebred P-8 pilots end up with for total time at the end of their tours. The first ones are coming up on two years in the squadron. I know thus far there have had to be a lot of flight time waivers for PPC making purposes, balancing 3710 and WTM rules.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

RLSO, you know nothing about what it take to get hired at The Show other than second-hand information. Back before IWAGR when I was active on this site, we used to tell the no experience know-it-all to STFU when they started pontificating or giving advise about things with no actual experience.

You have no actual experience with airline hiring. You need to STFU.

Centerline thrust multi-engine is not equal to non-centerline thrust multi-engine.

Single pilot PIC is not equal to multi-engine PIC.

Only SWA has a minimum 1000 hour turbine PIC requirement among the majors. FedEx's currently open hiring window perfers but does not require 1000 turbine PIC. The rest have no requirement and have hired many pilots with more SIC then PIC.

On any given day with all other things being equal, a P-8 (or P-3) pilot with 1500 total & 500 PIC will probably get the nod over a FAG with 1500 total all PIC. Why? Because HR now determines who gets interviewed and they use computer algorithms. These algorithms rank the "quality" of an applicant's hours. At The Show, we fly large non-centerline thrust aircraft using a multi-pilot crew.

There are also many other advantages for the P-8/P-3 types that appeal to airlines. Significantly more amounts of international flight experience and instrument flying are two of them.

Yes the airlines know the value of military time, even single pilot pointy nose time. FAGs will alway get hired because all things are not always equal. But the military large aircraft pilot has the advantage over the FAG. As John mentioned, in many cases a military fixed wing guy will have an advantage over a civilian because of the known quality of military pilots. This and the large number of flights per hour ratio is why a FAG can get hired with less total time.

Why do you thing airlines for the most part don't count helo time? It's not because it is shitty quality. In many ways it is actually higher quality in a pure stick and rudder sense. It's because the aircraft is so dissimilar. The more similar the type of flying you do, the better chance you have of getting called for an interview.

If the main goal is to go to the airlines at the end of obligated service, you will probably get there eventually no matter what you fly in the military as long as it is fixed wing. But the P-8/P-3 guy will get there sooner that the F/A-18 guy. The C-2/E-2 guy probably will too.

And we all know that the goal of everyone that's not an asshole.....

GOTOTHESHOW.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Hey, look. The internet tough guys is back. Welcome back, asshole. When you're done telling yourself how incredibly awesome you are, maybe you'll decide to stick around and contribute something valuable to the forum again.

But let's talk about what I do know, and how it's relevant to this thread. I do know that there is a shortage (let's read that as: near, if not, zero) TACAIR guys in the VTs. Understandable why, but the fact remains there are very very few folks to speak to how the other half lives. A guy comes here and explains why he's happy he selected what he did - and we're all happy for him, huzzah, good for him. However, it's also an opportunity to dispel a lot of the myths that are floating around the VTs, some of which you managed (somehow) to echo in your diatribe - that is: guys are getting hired from ALL communities.

Last edited:

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It will be interesting to see what the purebred P-8 pilots end up with for total time at the end of their tours. The first ones are coming up on two years in the squadron. I know thus far there have had to be a lot of flight time waivers for PPC making purposes, balancing 3710 and WTM rules.

Their sim time should be increasing though, are they taking those hours into account? HAL, welcome back. Do they count Level D hours for the airlines? I know actual flight time is desired but if you have sim time augmenting, does that help?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
lots of words...
I'm five months from retirement and balls deep in the airlines hiring process. Having listened to the hiring briefs at WIA, having done interview prep with ECC, and personally knowing 18 FAGs who have been hired over the last year at a major airline and reading their TRIP reports, the only thing certain in the hiring process for a major airline is you have to meet the min requirements and you have to network. Everyone of those 18 guys had someone either e-mail or walk their app to someone in hiring and shortly thereafter they received an interview call.

I have found it to be a common misconception with my bros in the fleet that being a mil pilot with an ATP guarantees you a job at a major airline. By most estimates, there are around 10,000 qualified mil & civilian folks who have their apps in for "the show". I have a buddy who is a 2800 hour F/A-18 RAG IP who retired last year and hasn't received one call and another buddy who has 1600 hours of Harrier & T45 time (and a DUI 20 years ago) who got called a few months ago by a major airline. The difference between the two is that one of those guys had a chief pilot meet & greet and the other has taken no time to meet anyone in the business.

As for no jet IPs in Primary land...it's always been like that. But it's ok that some IPs in primary like to throw jet guys under the bus and I don't take it personally. If the student buys into the BS, for me, it's just one more way to weed out the folks who really don't want to fly jets.

For me, back when I selected, I knew that post-mil career I would have an opportunity to fly a large, multi-engine, multi-crew aircraft so why not go fly a fighter-attack jet now since I had the chance. You can't say "well, after my mil career of flying KC-130s/P-3s/P-8s, I'm going to go fly fighter/attack jets and go land & takeoff of an aircraft carrier". To each their own.

S/F

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Hey, look. The internet tough guys is back. Welcome back, asshole. When you're done telling yourself how incredibly awesome you are, maybe you'll decide to stick around and contribute something valuable to the forum again.

But let's talk about what I do know, and how it's relevant to this thread. I do know that there is a shortage (let's read that as: near, if not, zero) TACAIR guys in the VTs. Understandable why, but the fact remains there are very very few folks to speak to how the other half lives. A guy comes here and explains why he's happy he selected what he did - and we're all happy for him, huzzah, good for him. However, it's also an opportunity to dispel a lot of the myths that are floating around the VTs, some of which you managed (somehow) to echo in your diatribe - that is: guys are getting hired from ALL communities.
Success! Getting RLSO all fired up! The true reason for my posting....

Yes, I enjoy my juvenile pleasures.

And why are you even posting about airline hiring? You used to claim you had no desire to ever fly for an airline. It's ironic that the guy who wanted nothing to do with the airlines is telling others what they need to get hired. I'm not a tough guy, I'm the guy who's been at a major airline for almost 15 years. You have nothing but second hand information at best yet you're telling people what they need to get hired.

I'm five months from retirement and balls deep in the airlines hiring process. Having listened to the hiring briefs at WIA, having done interview prep with ECC, and personally knowing 18 FAGs who have been hired over the last year at a major airline and reading their TRIP reports, the only thing certain in the hiring process for a major airline is you have to meet the min requirements and you have to network. Everyone of those 18 guys had someone either e-mail or walk their app to someone in hiring and shortly thereafter they received an interview call.

I have found it to be a common misconception with my bros in the fleet that being a mil pilot with an ATP guarantees you a job at a major airline. By most estimates, there are around 10,000 qualified mil & civilian folks who have their apps in for "the show". I have a buddy who is a 2800 hour F/A-18 RAG IP who retired last year and hasn't received one call and another buddy who has 1600 hours of Harrier & T45 time (and a DUI 20 years ago) who got called a few months ago by a major airline. The difference between the two is that one of those guys had a chief pilot meet & greet and the other has taken no time to meet anyone in the business.
TACAIR guys are absolutely getting hired at the majors now. Delta is hiring hundreds of pilots this year, United is hiring at least 1000 pilots this year. FedEx is hiring, AA is hiring, everyone is hiring. I even know a Navy helo pilot that got about 1200 in the T-34s for his last tour, flew King Airs in Afghanistan for a year, and was in a class at Delta within 15 months of leaving active duty. We are in the upswing for airline hiring and hiring is good. But when the cycle heads the other way, qualifications will be more closely looked at. When hiring is lean, those who fly aircraft that most match airline flying will get the calls first.

5 or 6 years ago you probably would not have seen those 18 FAGs being hired in a year. 5 or 6 years ago I knew many military pilots going to the regionals because the majors were barely hiring and were being very selective. True there were P-3 guys going regionals too but more P-3/C-130/USAF heavy guys were going to the majors than pointy-nose types. 5 or 6 years ago most of the pointy-nose types we hired at Hawaiian all had post-active duty flying in some sort of larger non-centerline thrust aircraft but we had a couple large aircraft military pilots straight from active duty. Airline hiring is cyclical.

During the lean times you will also be competing against civilian pilots with thousand of hours in transport category aircraft flying multi-piloted and in many cases with significant international experience. Again, HR computers are crunching the "quality" and picking those few who get interviewed. Computers aren't subjective. They compare apples to apples not oranges to apples. It's only after the computer/HR says you are good to interview will your LORs, Chief Pilot visits and other networking come into play. Airlines have started to be very strict with this HR process to protect themselves legally from accusations of discriminatory hiring practices so you won't see airlines going back to the old ways.

I never said not to fly TACAIR. I said if your goal is to do the minimum time as a military pilot and to use military flying as a stepping stone to the airlines, then P-8/P-3 aircraft are the way to go because their flying most resembles airline flying.

For me, back when I selected, I knew that post-mil career I would have an opportunity to fly a large, multi-engine, multi-crew aircraft so why not go fly a fighter-attack jet now since I had the chance. You can't say "well, after my mil career of flying KC-130s/P-3s/P-8s, I'm going to go fly fighter/attack jets and go land & takeoff of an aircraft carrier". To each their own.
If someone joins planning on doing a full career in the military I tell them to fly what they want and have fun. But there are a significant number who join either because they see military flying as a means to get the training for an airline career, or because while they want an airline career but what to serve first so they go military instead of a solely civilian flying path. It was toward these guys my post was directed.

Their sim time should be increasing though, are they taking those hours into account? Do they count Level D hours for the airlines? I know actual flight time is desired but if you have sim time augmenting, does that help?
No major airline counts any simulator time towards total time. If you included it in your total, it will probably get your application thrown out.

HAL, welcome back.
Thanks but it will be mostly lurking unless the opportunity for mischief is too good to pass up.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Their sim time should be increasing though, are they taking those hours into account? HAL, welcome back. Do they count Level D hours for the airlines? I know actual flight time is desired but if you have sim time augmenting, does that help?

As of now not being taken into account for PPC (there will be verbiage in the new WTM throwing some bones, can't remember exactly what, mainly because I'm a double anchor type) but sim time now counts partially for PPT purposes. Without getting into all the detailed PPT rules from the WTM, it basically boils down to 1/3 of your PPT hours and landings each month can be from the OFT.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Doesn't sound completely different than before. I was curious if VP-30's head would explode trying to handle PPT with the P-8 since it's not like the P-3.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, not difficult to manage at all on a monthly basis. Just takes a little more diligent tracking for the appropriate ratio than before, but a good prebuilt SHARP report makes it pretty painless. The push for lower flight hours to make PPC has been pretty much universally accepted up to the CPRG level as common sense, but 3710 requirements are actually the major hindrance since we run into requirements from other communities. Again, more to it than that, but more than I care about at this point as a double anchor. I do care about pilots making PPT though, signed a former squadron readiness, now wing readiness type.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I so don't miss SHARP, but of course there's always a tracker. I know it's early to tell, but what are P-8 guys looking at for end of tour flight hours?

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We will know in a year. Will also be interesting to see how that will vary by deployment site.

Ralph

Success! Getting RLSO all fired up! The true reason for my posting....

Yes, I enjoy my juvenile pleasures.

And why are you even posting about airline hiring? You used to claim you had no desire to ever fly for an airline. It's ironic that the guy who wanted nothing to do with the airlines is telling others what they need to get hired. I'm not a tough guy, I'm the guy who's been at a major airline for almost 15 years. You have nothing but second hand information at best yet you're telling people what they need to get hired.

TACAIR guys are absolutely getting hired at the majors now. Delta is hiring hundreds of pilots this year, United is hiring at least 1000 pilots this year. FedEx is hiring, AA is hiring, everyone is hiring. I even know a Navy helo pilot that got about 1200 in the T-34s for his last tour, flew King Airs in Afghanistan for a year, and was in a class at Delta within 15 months of leaving active duty. We are in the upswing for airline hiring and hiring is good. But when the cycle heads the other way, qualifications will be more closely looked at. When hiring is lean, those who fly aircraft that most match airline flying will get the calls first.

5 or 6 years ago you probably would not have seen those 18 FAGs being hired in a year. 5 or 6 years ago I knew many military pilots going to the regionals because the majors were barely hiring and were being very selective. True there were P-3 guys going regionals too but more P-3/C-130/USAF heavy guys were going to the majors than pointy-nose types. 5 or 6 years ago most of the pointy-nose types we hired at Hawaiian all had post-active duty flying in some sort of larger non-centerline thrust aircraft but we had a couple large aircraft military pilots straight from active duty. Airline hiring is cyclical.

During the lean times you will also be competing against civilian pilots with thousand of hours in transport category aircraft flying multi-piloted and in many cases with significant international experience. Again, HR computers are crunching the "quality" and picking those few who get interviewed. Computers aren't subjective. They compare apples to apples not oranges to apples. It's only after the computer/HR says you are good to interview will your LORs, Chief Pilot visits and other networking come into play. Airlines have started to be very strict with this HR process to protect themselves legally from accusations of discriminatory hiring practices so you won't see airlines going back to the old ways.

I never said not to fly TACAIR. I said if your goal is to do the minimum time as a military pilot and to use military flying as a stepping stone to the airlines, then P-8/P-3 aircraft are the way to go because their flying most resembles airline flying.

If someone joins planning on doing a full career in the military I tell them to fly what they want and have fun. But there are a significant number who join either because they see military flying as a means to get the training for an airline career, or because while they want an airline career but what to serve first so they go military instead of a solely civilian flying path. It was toward these guys my post was directed.

No major airline counts any simulator time towards total time. If you included it in your total, it will probably get your application thrown out.

Thanks but it will be mostly lurking unless the opportunity for mischief is too good to pass up.

Biggest load of BS I've read on here. I believe United asks on the app if you have flown fighters because they prefer them.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Biggest load of BS I've read on here. I believe United asks on the app if you have flown fighters because they prefer them.
I believe you don't know what you are talking about.

United and other airlines ask about flying fighters to help them judge the applicant's flight time. 1000 hours in fighters probably means 800 flight with 800 takeoffs and landings where 1000 hours in other aircraft means less, longer flights with fewer takeoffs and landings. So someone with 1000 hours in fighters would compare with someone who has a higher number of hours in larger aircraft. Airlines will adjust competitive time minimums downward for fighter guys to account for this. But it will take the fighter guy just as long if not longer to get his lower competitive total time than a non-fighter guy to reach his competitive total time. This is just one of many metrics being considered.