• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Zeta liners and other helmet goodies

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I'm pretty sure they're aware of the situation. The squadron CO is out on this det with us and flies right there along side us. I haven't flown with him yet so I don't know if he goes visor up or not. They did recently give us new yellow visors, which some guys like but I'm not a big fan. I usually just put my sunglasses on while I fly-- Maui Jim Wailea, by the way. Highly recommend them. Not only are the lenses polycarbonate, but the frames are just about indestructable and you can easily put them on and take them off without removing your helmet. Plus they're thin enough that I don't even really notice I'm wearing them, but I digress.

hscs

pilot
Sly -- still unsat situation. I would audit that 7F funding -- especially since we are in the final quarter of the FY. I have been at other squadrons that have managed to buy all aircrew zeta liners, Danner boots, and 3 day pack for the strike crews. I find it very hard to believe that they cannot pay for regular boots and visors. Stick your XO on it -- he is a tough one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Would those "yellow" visors actually be LEPs or just something different than the smoke? If they are LEP, and someone thinks there's a credible threat, I'd be wearing those down all the time.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the LEP visors were green. I had yellow helmet visors and have them now for my cranial goggles. Yellow is just high def and it cuts through haze and whatnot.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Stick your XO on it -- he is a tough one.

Is that the PCO or the PXO? The current XO will be taking over the command next month -- out here, no less. You're right. He's a great guy to serve under. I'm not entirely sure what is going on with the stuff. It may just be a logistical problem. I just know that if I had a dime for every time I asked for an "issue" item and was told that the squadron had just ordered a bunch of them right before I got here, so I'm just a little too late...I would be a rich man. As far as visors go, no one in the command has good visors. We've been told flat out that they will not order more visors.

The yellow visors, as was said are a higher definition visor. They seem to make everything really bright during the day and it's bright enough out here already. Maybe when I eventually get my own helmet I'll try the yellow visor in conjunction with my shades and see how that works.

\The REAL question is why in god's name can't we wear the combo clear/tinted visor on the bungee style like the AF can? You never have to swap visors, and for ultra long flights, you're prepared to daylight and night.

Just keep two visors on there at all times. One clear, one tinted.

-jai5w4

FLY_USMC

pilot
You can't, at least in TACAIR land you can't. I had a clear visor with extra snaps on it tha allowed you to connect a tinted visor over it, hence you had them all the time. PR guys said no and cut the snaps off, not real cool.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought the LEP visors were green. I had yellow helmet visors and have them now for my cranial goggles. Yellow is just high def and it cuts through haze and whatnot.

I thought I remembered ours being yellow and reacting like the way Sly describes, bright as hell ("Sweet, I can't see, but at least I'm safe"). Maybe it was more of a Gatorade color, but I honestly can't remember. I do suspect there's more than one NSN, though.

MasterBates

Our LEP was yellow, and worked great for spotting fish at AUTEC when not on range.

We found a few good spots for Bonefish that way.

You can't, at least in TACAIR land you can't. I had a clear visor with extra snaps on it tha allowed you to connect a tinted visor over it, hence you had them all the time. PR guys said no and cut the snaps off, not real cool.

That's exactly what we had in the T-6. What's the logic behind the PR guys' doing that?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought I remembered ours being yellow and reacting like the way Sly describes, bright as hell ("Sweet, I can't see, but at least I'm safe"). Maybe it was more of a Gatorade color, but I honestly can't remember. I do suspect there's more than one NSN, though.

The LEP visor they're using here is kind of a yellow/green... actually not that far off from Gatorade color. Maybe it's high definition also, kind of as a side effect? They're used at the FRS for preventing eye damage due to reflections from your own equipment. Obviously we don't face enemy laser designation threat in a training command. They're making it a really big deal (as I think it should be) to educate everyone on the damaging effects the equipment can have without LEP.

FLY_USMC

pilot
That's exactly what we had in the T-6. What's the logic behind the PR guys' doing that?
I have no idea, but inside I was pissed. They didn't even ask me, they could have told me and I'd have removed it, to me it was worth it's wait in gold.

I have the weird orangy colored visor as well, supposed to be good on low light hazy days, I find, though it's like shooting glasses and everything is clear, if it's low overcast, the horizon and the clouds look the same.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
The LEP visor they're using here is kind of a yellow/green... actually not that far off from Gatorade color. Maybe it's high definition also, kind of as a side effect? They're used at the FRS for preventing eye damage due to reflections from your own equipment. Obviously we don't face enemy laser designation threat in a training command. They're making it a really big deal (as I think it should be) to educate everyone on the damaging effects the equipment can have without LEP.

The HSC FRS is giving out the LEP visors now? What -60S equipment is putting out laser energy now that wasn't when I was there 4 months ago? That's really weird.