• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Zeta liners and other helmet goodies

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Don't waste your own money on this stuff - supply, and in turn your flight e, can get all this and more. The locker tends to fill up with the amenities toward the end of the FY when budgets are being spent out. If the training command is being stingy just be patient, it's in the fleet. And unless you are an exceptional axxwipe, there's no reason why they won't set you up. If you make it your whole fleet tour and they still can't find one for you it's probably a hint.

I'm not sure what fleet you're in Yoss, but I've been flying out here in the desert for 3 weeks without my own helmet. When I was back at homeguard I flew exactly once with my own helmet because it took the PR shop 3 months to get my stuff up, and even then it was only because I was getting ready to leave. Then they shipped it out here and who knows where it ended up. It took supply 4 weeks to get me flight boots. That was on a rush order since I was leaving. They sent us out here with Mechanic's boots. Zeta liners are completely out of the question. We can't even get any more visors so basically we fly everywhere visors up because you can't see through them anymore. By the way, that was all back at homeguard, not just on det. Don't get too comfortable with the idea that your fleet squadron will just throw stuff at you when you walk in. Everyone's hurting for money right now. Make nice to the supply and PR guys and you might, MIGHT, find some stuff, but be prepared not to.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do they have HGU-84s or HGU-68s?

They could not get my O2 mask to seal correctly with the HGU-68 withoutthe helmet blocking vision for the T-45 and the PR's at Krock set up my HGU-84 with the T-45 plugs and such. If you take an XL-Wide, its legal.

Do they have big heads?

The elastic visors for Tailhook guys have been around for some time and replaced/augmented the older "T-34-type" helmets. I don't know if they actual number is the same as a -84, but I don't think it is.

Kmac, we still have the old school rail designs, since they're cheaper and in the pool. That's why I keep bitching about missing my helo helmet/dual visor system.

I asked the PR's (Mike) about the hush kits and was told they're not authorized/crash-worthy. I've also heard that your fleet squadron will give them to you once you make it that far... so I don't know who to believe.

I know we keep going in circles about this on other threads, and I never have found the actual answer, but I guessing that a "Hush Kit" is different than just the Zeta and ear seals. I believe the Hush kit also changes the ear cups themselves (better insulation) and that's what makes the mod illegal. I suspect that people just refer to the ear seals as hush kits because they do help and it's part of the whole kit. Ear seals are totally legal, and that's from a VERY anal HSL wing inspector. I wear them now, as well, and they're fully endorsed by Sikorsky (old L3, etc), and those guys don't tend to bend the rules.

FLY_USMC

pilot
You can take your HGU-68 helmet to the PR guys and tell them you want the bungee style visor put on and they'll do it for you, it's a simple mod. The HGU-56, the AF style helmet comes standard with it. If your TACAIR, your helmet will automatically be converted to bungee style when you hit the RAG, because you can't use NVG's with the railed visor system. The REAL question is why in god's name can't we wear the combo clear/tinted visor on the bungee style like the AF can? You never have to swap visors, and for ultra long flights, you're prepared to daylight and night. I've never used the railed kind, have always used the bungee style, money$$$$.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know we keep going in circles about this on other threads, and I never have found the actual answer, but I guessing that a "Hush Kit" is different than just the Zeta and ear seals. I believe the Hush kit also changes the ear cups themselves (better insulation) and that's what makes the mod illegal. I suspect that people just refer to the ear seals as hush kits because they do help and it's part of the whole kit. Ear seals are totally legal, and that's from a VERY anal HSL wing inspector. I wear them now, as well, and they're fully endorsed by Sikorsky (old L3, etc), and those guys don't tend to bend the rules.

Yes, the Hush Kit is a specific product available from Oregon Aero and it does include new ear cups (or maybe just extra insulation, can't remember) and the synthetic leather ear cup seals. The PR's at South Field will give you the ear cup seals if you ask for them, but the complete hush kit was not authorized when I went through last year.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'm not sure what fleet you're in Yoss, but I've been flying out here in the desert for 3 weeks without my own helmet. When I was back at homeguard I flew exactly once with my own helmet because it took the PR shop 3 months to get my stuff up, and even then it was only because I was getting ready to leave. Then they shipped it out here and who knows where it ended up. It took supply 4 weeks to get me flight boots. That was on a rush order since I was leaving. They sent us out here with Mechanic's boots. Zeta liners are completely out of the question. We can't even get any more visors so basically we fly everywhere visors up because you can't see through them anymore. By the way, that was all back at homeguard, not just on det. Don't get too comfortable with the idea that your fleet squadron will just throw stuff at you when you walk in. Everyone's hurting for money right now. Make nice to the supply and PR guys and you might, MIGHT, find some stuff, but be prepared not to.

It sounds like you have a shitty aircraft/PR division or squadron as the case may be. My experiences mirror that of Yoss. In fact, towards the end of my fleet tour we had the best damn PR branch in HS, if not the Fleet. You can take a guess who the Aircraft Divo was. ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
I put the whole shabang in mine, the ear cup seals and what not...the PRS did not even realize it when I did my 90 day...like they look at that crap anyway

For better or worse, good or bad, not all communities are as free and easy. It doesn't help when you're living in a salt-water environment, either. Lots more to look for on inspections.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
That was Corpus...we don't have helmets in the E-6, we have a shitter and racks :)

Fair enough, but my statement still holds true. And I don't count Corpus as a "salt-water environment."

hscs

pilot

Think that it has been said before -- but you need a hard look at how the 7F is getting spent in your squadron. This is serious enough that the MO and possibly the front office need to know about it. You shouldn't be flying potential border crossing missions with your visors up. If the shitheads shoot at you -- those visors might help keep plexiglass out of your eyes (that is if the bullets miss you).