• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Zeta liners and other helmet goodies

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
I've seen active noise reduction kits added on to navy helmets. I got to try it out for a flight.....worth every penny. The guy paid ~250 out of pocket and had the pr's modify it to work with his helmet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, in 8 guys have to share helmets, for the fellas that don't have a helmet they have to go to NATOPS and get a skull cap so they share the helmets. Me, I'm just glad I have a head the size of a beachball so I have my own "special" helmet.

Sucks to be you guys. I still stand by my statement that it's not a permanent condition.

Honestly, other than the gel ear seals (which are very nice) and a liplight, there's not much else you can do that won't fail after 2 weeks at the boat. I miss my dual visors, though.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I managed to finagle (helps to get to know the pr's!) a zeta liner from the pr's over in HT land last night and man is it the difference in night and day! So, my question is, what other stuff can you do to a helmet (or flight gear in general) to up the comfort level? I've heard of the earpiece/hush kits from Oregon Aero but I don't know if the pr's give that stuff away. Plus, I'd much rather get it from the paraloft instead of having to pay for it. So, any tips? Thanks.

How the hell did you manage that? I had to pay out of pocket for mine (actually my wife got it for me for my birthday)? It's well worth the price, but still... how'd you convince them you NEEDED it?

I asked the PR's (Mike) about the hush kits and was told they're not authorized/crash-worthy. I've also heard that your fleet squadron will give them to you once you make it that far... so I don't know who to believe.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How the hell did you manage that? I had to pay out of pocket for mine (actually my wife got it for me for my birthday)? It's well worth the price, but still... how'd you convince them you NEEDED it?

I asked the PR's (Mike) about the hush kits and was told they're not authorized/crash-worthy. I've also heard that your fleet squadron will give them to you once you make it that far... so I don't know who to believe.

It's called smooth talking one of the female pr's. :D

Seriously, I just asked and she was like, sure, here you go, although that was after I talked to her for about 20 minutes. I was always told, make nice with the pr's and they'll give you cool toys.

Yoss

Don't waste your own money on this stuff - supply, and in turn your flight e, can get all this and more. The locker tends to fill up with the amenities toward the end of the FY when budgets are being spent out. If the training command is being stingy just be patient, it's in the fleet. And unless you are an exceptional axxwipe, there's no reason why they won't set you up. If you make it your whole fleet tour and they still can't find one for you it's probably a hint.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok another helmet additon... or swap actually: those visors that have elastic on them rather than the standard rails and locking mechanism. I wonder if the T-34 squadrons have those. They're much easier to manage, and can be replaced with just a couple of snaps. Have any of you guys used em?

Rubiks06

pilot
For the record, it's pool gear and it's not like it goes from one head to another. Studs (and IPs) have to use the pool gear while their helmet gets built up/fixed. The sooner you get in to have your helmet fitted/parts turned in, the sooner (usually) you get it back. Some classes/studs start up faster than others, so it doesn't always get done in time for Fam 1.

For a while there the helmets were going from head to head. To the point that there were people getting canceled for flihts because they couldnt get helmets. Its gotten a little better now because they have gotten some more helmets in. It was the grossest thing int he world to slide your grape into a bucket that has some other dudes sweat in it and the liner was still wet. The guys at the supply issue said it was so bad that they have sent four or five guys to the FRS without helmets. The problem now is not that we dont have helmets but that there are very few PR guys to put them together.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kmac,

The HGU-84 (aka the Helo Helmet) has that stock. Are you sure you are not seeing the Helo/P3 guys wearing it?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my copilots are not Helo/P3 guys. I'll ask them if they are though. ;)

MasterBates

Do they have HGU-84s or HGU-68s?

They could not get my O2 mask to seal correctly with the HGU-68 withoutthe helmet blocking vision for the T-45 and the PR's at Krock set up my HGU-84 with the T-45 plugs and such. If you take an XL-Wide, its legal.

Do they have big heads?