• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yuma Airshow

phrogpilot73

This is the first I've heard of navy canceling. Did you tell anybody here?
I'm guessing they didn't because they assume you knew based on a recent SECNAV message. I got it in my email at the squadron (because we do a lot of COMREL/air shows) and can send it to you if you want.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'm guessing they didn't because they assume you knew based on a recent SECNAV message. I got it in my email at the squadron (because we do a lot of COMREL/air shows) and can send it to you if you want.

I knew that we weren't getting a DEMO weeks ago. I was told that we were still getting a static display E/F/G.

I'm working it. All our USAF stuff is out, too.

phrogpilot73

I knew that we weren't getting a DEMO weeks ago. I was told that we were still getting a static display E/F/G.

I'm working it. All our USAF stuff is out, too.
I send you an email on your .mil with the memo that everyone's working off of. I think Wings/Groups are reading this sentence: "Fleet/Service weeks as well as military open houses, and local community relations activities are permitted as long as the support/equipment can b eprovided locally anat no cost to the Department." and thinking "no static displays unless they're on our base".

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I send you an email on your .mil with the memo that everyone's working off of. I think Wings/Groups are reading this sentence: "Fleet/Service weeks as well as military open houses, and local community relations activities are permitted as long as the support/equipment can b eprovided locally anat no cost to the Department." and thinking "no static displays unless they're on our base".

Yeah, I knew about that. It looks like "locally" is being interpreted in whatever direction best serves the unit at the moment.

phrogpilot73

It looks like "locally" is being interpreted in whatever direction best serves the unit at the moment.
Shack.

Our "local area" stretches up to New York/New Jersey when it comes time for the CO to go visit with the group CO. However, an airshow static display that's closer is off the table. Makes sense to me.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I'll put $2 down that you'll get the Blues if you don't cancel.
Call me an optimist.

By rule, if the Blues don't come, then I can't have an airshow.
If the Blues are shut down for long enough, then they will cancel their Airshow Season (which is CY based, not FY).
So, even though my Air Show is FY-14, if the Blues cancel for CY-13, then I'm S.O.L.

I'm holding out hope that at some point during the summer, this will be figured out, the Blues will get their funding back and will say "game on" for all dates after X.
Since we are the second to last Blues performance of the year, we may still have an air show, assuming the Blues are allowed to practice before the summer is over.

Our plan is to keep planning for the show based on all the above.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

I got a copy of the memo.

That's some serious cherry picking of the document, though. That specifically comes from the paragraph titled "Support to Non-DoD Organizations".

The paragraph titled "Demonstration Flying", which includes airshows and open houses specifies that support will stop 1 April.

Our show is this weekend.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Key West is still planning on having their air show, they are 23-24 March.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Well, supposedly these are Bravos, and one of the pilots is married to the FA-18F pilot coming out for the airshow. I am assured that we will have a Rhino here, so go figure.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I stand corrected. You don't normally see the buckets on Bravos unless you're doing some super-sweet tactical mission. Question: Why the IRCM? Is someone going to stay with the aircraft all night?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I stand corrected. You don't normally see the buckets on Bravos unless you're doing some super-sweet tactical mission. Question: Why the IRCM? Is someone going to stay with the aircraft all night?

They're on our secure flightline right outside my office, so I doubt it. There's a T-34B parked between them now.

Why would somebody need to stay with them all night? There's IRCM on almost every prop/chopper in the Marine Corps, including our newer OSA aircraft. Never been a problem.