• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your retirement plans . . .

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
My dad was one of these guys. He would blame it on thousands of hours of flying a pair of Wright 3350s and a couple turbojets around hunting subs. But I think it was probably moreso old age since he last did that in the mid-70's. I'm on the same track. Probably worse honestly. My wife and I generally yell (everyday requests) at each other across the house and neither of us hears the other. Screaming children don't help.
That's just part of being a dad. My late uncle was an artillery guy. He would just turn down the volume on his. My aunt and cousins would annoy him back by just mouthing conversations when he had it turned on.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There is also convincing evidence that hearing loss is associated with, if not an actual cause, of dementia. Best to get checked sooner rather than later.
V/R

I could definitely see this being a cause. At least to the layman like myself, it would seem to make sense anyway

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
It's gonna be different for everyone's situation, but the general consensus I've seen floating around out the internet is:

1. Contribute at least 5% to TSP to get the free match money (if you have BRS)
2. Max IRA
3. Max the rest of your TSP

Anything beyond that is up to you. I personally use a taxable brokerage when my other stuff is maxed out.

Then there's the Roth vs Traditional discussion. Generally speaking, Roth is better if you plan on being in a low tax bracket now vs in retirement. Traditional is the opposite. For that reason, a lot of younger folks or low-earners go with Roth
This☝️

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
The VA still has issues, not as many as they did years ago but they have a long way to go, I have friends that have had good care, bad care and everything in between.

About hearing aids, too many vets put off getting them and the VA does pay for some good ones, I know as the VA outsources many vets to civilian Audiologist one of which happens to be my sister. Her frustration is that when a person starts to have hearing issues the longer the hearing aids are put off the more damage you actually do to your hearing, my FIL is a prime example of this.
As someone who has hearing aids, this is not exactly true. If you turn up the volume of the TV, radio, etc...because you can't hear, then yes, it will do more damage just as other loud sound will. But hearing aids don't preserve your hearing otherwise. I got my hearing aids for free coming off AGR. They were about $4k each. I haven't yet had to do anything with them with the VA, so I can't speak to that aspect.

I have to stand up for the VA Health Care system. It has been great for me. MUCH better than the healthcare I got while on active duty. With over 30% service connected, I have not spent $0.01 on healthcare since I retired. That includes free prescriptions mailed to my house.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Any comment on GS post retirement healthcare option for non-mil retired?

I've been advised to delay any VA disability path until I am at 5 years of civil service. As a Desert Storm and a helo' bubba, there are a variety of paths (back, SPH-3 helmet, etc)
Why is that? Maybe because you will be vested at 5 years and eligible for GS medical retirement at that point? Do you get civilian flight physicals and have to report VA disability eligibility? When I switched back to GS-13 from AGR just before I retired, I got my last flight physical with the guard. The latest military flight physical form added a question about eligibility for or receiving VA disability benefits. Answering that question honestly resulted in losing my flight status for three months while I had to straighten out the issue(s). I got an up slip eventually and was flying up until two weeks prior to my last day, but it was a pain in the A$$.

FWIW, after flying H60s for 26 years, I have 0% for hearing loss, despite needing 2 waivers for hearing loss to keep flying and being provided hearing aids while still AGR. I did get 10% for tinnitus and 10% for degenerative disc issues in my lower back. YMMV, but hearing is not a big ticket item. For back issues, you'll probably need documentation that you sought medical attention for it prior to leaving AD in order to get a higher rating than 10%.

Having said that, even 0% is worth something, as it gets you "VA Disability" status. I think 30% total gets you service related VA healthcare with copays. I can't find the reference for that. 50% or more gets you Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) and no copays. 100% gets you a ton of other things, including property tax exemption (Florida), free car tag, etc... When your claim is approved, the VA will send you a booklet showing your priority group and outlining your costs and eligibilities.

VA Healthcare Costs

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
…after flying H60s for 26 years…For back issues, you'll probably need documentation that you sought medical attention for it prior to leaving AD in order to get a higher rating than 10%.
Great call out. In my last year of service, I was experiencing some nasty neck, shoulder, and back pain that was making life difficult and impacting my sleep. I got my flight surgeon to put in a referral for a chiropractor, and started treatment about 180 days from retirement. So by the time I submitted my VA claim 90 days from retirement I had it pretty well documented in my records and also had learned by then that I had some limited range of motion in multiple places. This all came up in my VA medical exam and definitely contributed to the list of issues adding up to 100% for me.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Why is that? Maybe because you will be vested at 5 years and eligible for GS medical retirement at that point? Do you get civilian flight physicals and have to report VA disability eligibility?
Exactly. A Second Class medical is a condition of employment for me. I submit a scan of my medical certificate every year to the AF Personnel Center at Beale. The AF gives you 13 months to get your medical back if something happens and I've seen the command extend that to 2+ years on a case by case basis (generally to assist folks wanting to get 5 years of GS service for FERS). My AME was the one who advised me to hold off on any VA claim until I hit 5 years. Although I have a buddy who flies for United with 50% VA disability for sleep apnea and that has not been a barrier to a First Class medical interesting enough.

Longevity is incentivized in the GS system clearly. We had a GS15, retired O-6 just punch out at 72 years old.

OscarMyers

None
Apparently hearing aids have Bluetooth now!!! Forget about turning them down to ignore people, straight up turn on some jams and slide in your hidey hole. I just hope BT hearing aides can down out the tinnitus.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently hearing aids have Bluetooth now!!! Forget about turning them down to ignore people, straight up turn on some jams and slide in your hidey hole. I just hope BT hearing aides can down out the tinnitus.
There was a woman at NAWDC with cochlear implants, and she would be beaming tunes directly into her brain. Pretty wild.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Mine have noise cancelling, Bluetooth, and a setting for white noise or ocean sound for tinnitus. BUT... it's a pain when my hearing aids, phone and car all fight for who is in control.