• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your retirement plans . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While I'm still a ways away, I know it will creep up fast, so another thing I've started looking at is the additional expense of Medicare in order to keep the level of my current "free" healthcare. I've only done some initial research on the various Parts and how they interface with Tricare For Life, but when those of you more "aged" start to deal with that, please spread the gouge!

taxi1

pilot
Friend of mine retired from Penn State about 4 years ago, and he and his wife spend ther summers out west while he works as a whitewater rafting guide, then they spend the winter in Jackson Hole as ski bums. Shoulder seasons back home.

He works in the rental shop for a couple of hours morning and evening, skis the middle of the day. Every day. She works in a high end clothing shop, her passion. Work covers the apartment, food, and drinks. They go dancing at night. He says he’s aged out of the guiding this year, curious to hear his new plans.

I ski bummed in Vermont for a winter season in college, and “park bummed” in Glacier National Park for a summer. There’s something about working in a place that gives a whole different experience to just visiting as a tourist. You get immersed.

Kind of thinking about where id like to spend a season when I finally retire from the main job. Spending a northern hemisphere summer ski patrolling in Australia would be cool. Summer employee at Isle Royale National Park. Visiting professor at an overseas English-speaking school. I’m thinking…

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I tried to retire at 55, but I was pulled back in to do part time intermittent work.

I looked at my life, and the only reason I was working was to pay my mortgage in our 2500 sf home in San Diego. We love San Diego, but got tired of the rat race.

In 2018, we bought land in Southern Oregon to build our retirement home. We took out a HELOC to pay for the build of our new home. Oregon home was completed in late 2020, sold our home in San Diego and earned enough from the sale to pay off both homes. We are now mortgage free which allows us to live on my retirement.

Tricare/VA is enough to handle our medical needs, but we do dental out of pocket when needed. Anyone else find a low-cost dental solution?

are we rich beyond belief? No, but we live a comfortable lifestyle and have money to do with what we want.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Tricare/VA is enough to handle our medical needs, but we do dental out of pocket when needed. Anyone else find a low-cost dental solution?
What are you able to use the VA system for vice the Tricare network? I haven't been able to crack that nut...

Would like to hear responses on your dental question. I remember reading in another forum a guy saying that he just pays cash, and is able to negotiate a cash discount with the dentist's office (bc they'd rather not deal with the insurance company). I don't have any experience with that, but curious if others do.

exNavyOffRec

Well, I tried to retire at 55, but I was pulled back in to do part time intermittent work.

I looked at my life, and the only reason I was working was to pay my mortgage in our 2500 sf home in San Diego. We love San Diego, but got tired of the rat race.

In 2018, we bought land in Southern Oregon to build our retirement home. We took out a HELOC to pay for the build of our new home. Oregon home was completed in late 2020, sold our home in San Diego and earned enough from the sale to pay off both homes. We are now mortgage free which allows us to live on my retirement.

are we rich beyond belief? No, but we live a comfortable lifestyle and have money to do with what we want.
I have had decent luck with the retiree dental, what issues are you finding? Is it a lack of dentist that take our plan?

robav8r

None
Contributor
I have had decent luck with the retiree dental, what issues are you finding? Is it a lack of dentist that take our plan?
I use Tricare Dental (Met Life) with no issues. In fact, probably having a cracked molar pulled next week. My wife and I routinely see the a great Dentist in Fairfax for cleanings, x-ray, etc. Very affordable and user friendly . . .

exNavyOffRec

I use Tricare Dental (Met Life) with no issues. In fact, probably having a cracked molar pulled next week. My wife and I routinely see the a great Dentist in Fairfax for cleanings, x-ray, etc. Very affordable and user friendly . . .
Metlife, that is who I use as well, I always forget who the actual company is that is doing the insurance for FEDVIP.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are you able to use the VA system for vice the Tricare network? I haven't been able to crack that nut...
Based on some very cursory research (I.E. no actual experience), my understanding is that if you qualify for VA (any percent disability), you can use a VA medical facility for your primary care and not have to deal with Tricare. It was described to me like going to medical on base. Not sure if VA does dental, but they do optometry, pharmacy, PT, mental health, etc. The guy I talked to said it was much less hassle than Tricare, and some of the VA medical centers these days are really good.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I too have heard of folks using VA for primary care. Only caveat is if you have dependents, you still need an option for that.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Based on some very cursory research (I.E. no actual experience), my understanding is that if you qualify for VA (any percent disability), you can use a VA medical facility for your primary care and not have to deal with Tricare. It was described to me like going to medical on base. Not sure if VA does dental, but they do optometry, pharmacy, PT, mental health, etc. The guy I talked to said it was much less hassle than Tricare, and some of the VA medical centers these days are really good.
VA will treat your service-connected disabilities at any rating.
40% gets you medical coverage for anything (except prescriptions not related to your service-connected disabilities.
50% gets you everything.

Like @SynixMan mentioned, if you have a family the VA doesn't really help there.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Would like to hear responses on your dental question. I remember reading in another forum a guy saying that he just pays cash, and is able to negotiate a cash discount with the dentist's office (bc they'd rather not deal with the insurance company). I don't have any experience with that, but curious if others do.
@JTS11 , what Brett said. I use the VA as my PCM and I don’t have to deal with TRICARE. My wife uses TRICARE.

After doing the math for Dental, it’s cheaper to just pay outright for our annual cleaning than to make monthly payments then pay a co-pay.

exNavyOffRec

The VA can be a mixed bag and if you don't live close to a VA facility it can be inconvenient, for instance I know several that use the VA spend about an hour to get there before check-in, and an hour to get back after their appointment the end result is almost 3 hours out of their day for a 30 min appointment while I spend about an hour going to the place close to me.

Lack of continuity of doctors is another aggravation for those I know that use the VA as it seems to be a revolving door and the guys I know rarely see the same doctors year to year. I don't have much room to talk on this though as I have experienced doctor turnover as well.

I have had almost no issues with Tricare, I wish I could get appointments quicker but those that I know that use the VA have the same issues.

The area you are in will probably guide you to one way or another as not all VA facilities are the same.

exNavyOffRec

@JTS11 , what Brett said. I use the VA as my PCM and I don’t have to deal with TRICARE. My wife uses TRICARE.

After doing the math for Dental, it’s cheaper to just pay outright for our annual cleaning than to make monthly payments then pay a co-pay.
That is what my father in law was doing, then he had to have some significant dental work done and it blew his plan right out of the water. Given some of the additional upcoming work he will need done he just signed up for dental insurance for the 2024 year. It is a roll the dice type of thing, right now with now 4 people on my dental plan we come out ahead by using the FEDVIP instead of paying out of pocket.