• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your retirement plans . . .

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The whole disease is just super wild.....I never knew it possessed so much magic until I first heard about shingles. Flash back to like 1989, friend's mom came and talked with my mom and said her kids had just caught chickenpox and did I want to come over to get it, since it was summer? I was like "hell no" and then I caught it that fall, fortunately after school was in session so I got a week off :) I won

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
The whole disease is just super wild.....I never knew it possessed so much magic until I first heard about shingles. Flash back to like 1989, friend's mom came and talked with my mom and said her kids had just caught chickenpox and did I want to come over to get it, since it was summer? I was like "hell no" and then I caught it that fall, fortunately after school was in session so I got a week off :) I won
As I understand it (pre-kid vaccine for chickenpox), it was assumed that your kid would get it at some point, with the preference being the younger the better.

What's crazy is that tthere are still parents doing this at present.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
It does seem like the anti-virals they prescribe start doing their job within a few days. It's the type of drug though, that if you saw in the medicine cabinet of someone you just started dating, you'd throw a ninja smoke bomb and exfiltrate the premises (Valtrex). 😆

haubby

None
Contributor
It does seem like the anti-virals they prescribe start doing their job within a few days. It's the type of drug though, that if you saw in the medicine cabinet of someone you just started dating, you'd throw a ninja smoke bomb and exfiltrate the premises (Valtrex). 😆
I got shingles in my mid 20's prior to meeting my wife. When we moved in together she found the Valtrex bottle with a couple of leftover pills in the shoe box full of old medications. That surely was an interesting conversation as I could see on her face that she immediately questioned her life decisions. It was the definitive "You see what had happened was" type conversation. That was almost 20 years ago and now we sometimes joke about that moment in time.

And shingles sucks big time. Never want to experience that again.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
...It was the definitive "You see what had happened was" type conversation. That was almost 20 years ago and now we sometimes joke about that moment in time....
Well, that conversation would certainly be easier to logically walk your way through than trying to explain to your girl why she needs to get a penicillin shot bc you had a "kidney infection".😁

Llarry

The shingles vaccine is fully covered by TRICARE, and by most other plans. If you ever want to know if a particular intervention is effective, check if it covered by insurance. Health insurance companies live and die by minimizing outlay. If there is solid data that it would cost them less to prevent a condition than to treat it, they will usually make the decision to cover the preventive option (vaccines, bariatric surgery, colon cancer screening).

V/R
My situation may be different, as my Shingrix was NOT covered by Medicare. Accordingly, I assumed (there's that damn word again! that TRICARE for Life would not cover it. AFTER paying $225 cash on the barrelhead for the first of two Shingrix immunizations, I contacted TRICARE for Life and was told that, no Medicare doesn't cover it but TFL will do so with a $150 copay. The rep that I spoke to did not seem too knowledgeable on the subject so I'll be prepared for anything in a couple of months when I get dose number two.