• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

jooman360

Better chance to go Marine Air with lower scores?

On my ASTB score was very good but not outstanding where it needs to be to be picked up as a pilot for the navy. Then i talked to my friend who is an has been pro rec'ed for marine pilot. He said his score would not have been good enough for the navy since there is more competition so he recommended that i apply for marine pilot. Can anyone confirm? Also just out of curiosity does anyone know the general numbers of each marine aircraft or the ratio of helos to fixed wing. I want to get an idea of what I would likely be flying. Thanks for the help.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Its all about timing and which OSO office you would be going out of. Different areas are going to be more competitive than others. It also depends on what the Corps wants at that time. A lot more is going to go into your package than just ASTB score - its about the total package that you can put out there. Grades, references, PFT, etc... Go talk to your local OSO office if you are interest. They can give you specific info in the area you live.

As far as aircraft goes, the Marine Corps runs on helos. There are opportunities to fly jets, Hercs and Ospreys as well, but a majority of the Marine Aviators will be in a helo. BTW, you rarely find a Marine who doesn't love his community - no matter what he wanted coming out of primary. Good luck.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
First and foremost make sure you know what you're getting into. If you are on the fence between Navy and Marines you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your thinking. If you want to just fly, the Marine Corps is NOT for you. Granted you will also fly but you had better want to be a Marine before anything because there is more to a Marine pilot than just a pilot. That might seem like a cliche response, but as soon as you get to OCS and then on to TBS you will understand what I'm talking about. On to your question regarding the ASTB, the Marines do have a little bit lower cutting score with regards to the PFAR, FOFAR and AQR. I am not certain of the specifics and my information is dated about 2 years so things might have changed, but most likely not. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
First and foremost make sure you know what you're getting into. If you are on the fence between Navy and Marines you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your thinking. If you want to just fly, the Marine Corps is NOT for you. Granted you will also fly but you had better want to be a Marine before anything because there is more to a marine pilot than just a pilot. That might seem cliche, but as soon as you get to OCS and the on to TBS you will understand what I'm talking about. Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
You Sir are wise beyond your years:D..Guess what, works the same way in the Navy.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
If you want to be just a military pilot get to your nearest Air National Guard unit and pledge. Part timers pretty much just fly, and they fly as much as they want to.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
You Sir are wise beyond your years:D..Guess what, works the same way in the Navy.

Ok Ok I figured a squid would hose me for that - What I meant was that I have seen people decide to go Marine Corps based solely upon reasons he stated (lower ASTB requirements) and guaranteed flight contracts. Once they get to OCS they get a rude awakening that they really are going to be trained to be a provisional rifle platoon commander not JUST a pilot and possibly do something to that nature later on in their career. There were Lts in TBS that were complaining about the training that we were doing by saying, "Man all I'm going to be is a pilot why do I have to do this crap." I do realize that no matter what the service, an officer is to be a leader first and a master at is job a close second, but in the Marine Corps it tends to be a bit more distinct.

FLY_USMC

pilot
First and foremost make sure you know what you're getting into. If you are on the fence between Navy and Marines you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your thinking. If you want to just fly, the Marine Corps is NOT for you. Granted you will also fly but you had better want to be a Marine before anything because there is more to a Marine pilot than just a pilot.
As much as SSGT Henderson would have my arse for saying this, you gotta really WANT to be a Marine IOT get through OCS and TBS. After that, you gotta really WANT to be a pilot for essentially the next 3 years because anything even resembling the Marine Corps is pretty much non-existant after that. In my experience.

On a lighter note, FIGMACS UNITE!!!!

Raptor2216

Ok Ok I figured a squid would hose me for that - What I meant was that I have seen people decide to go Marine Corps based solely upon reasons he stated (lower ASTB requirements) and guaranteed flight contracts. Once they get to OCS they get a rude awakening that they really are going to be trained to be a provisional rifle platoon commander not JUST a pilot and possibly do something to that nature later on in their career. There were Lts in TBS that were complaining about the training that we were doing by saying, "Man all I'm going to be is a pilot why do I have to do this crap." I do realize that no matter what the service, an officer is to be a leader first and a master at is job a close second, but in the Marine Corps it tends to be a bit more distinct.

The wise words of wisdom from the A-pool types....priceless.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
When people say that getting a pilot slot in the Marines is "less competitive", they are generally talking about grades, major, and test scores. What they don't say is that they expect you to make up for that in terms of physical peformance and leadership under pain and pressure. The Marine Corps is looking for more of a well rounded person. A "total package".

It is important to want to be a Marine, but don't let the fact that you really want to fly seem to negate that. It's not either/or. You are going to need a desire for both.

You may go off to OCS thinking that all you want to do is fly and find out that you really want to be a Marine as well. You might also find out that being a Marine isn't what you want at all. Either way, you wil definitely find out at OCS one way or the other.