• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Youkuska v. pt. Magoo

tshort

Im an intel officer about to put in his preference on where he would like to go for his first tour. Iwo of the possible options that interest me the most are Youkuska and pt. Magoo. (I probably hacked both those names, sorry) I know they are like comparing apples and oranges but I was hopeing that those that have been there could put in their two cents. Thanks.
~Tom

Tomodachi

pilot
I'm stationed in Yokosuka, Japan right now. GREAT PLACE! The base won the 2008 base excellence award for all of the Navy. Which means its a damn good base. The best MWR program in the Navy is in Japan, so much to do and see. You have family? Theres alot for your children to do as far as youth sports and fun things to do on base.

The money is pretty good here, you get more than enough COLA, you can live on base and have American style living arrangement or you can go live off base and try out living as a Japanese person, which is what i'm doing now and its pretty fun. Only thing that sucks is we have to sort the trash and they pick up trash several different times during the week.

I dont know anything about the other duty station you are considering, but I put my highest recommendation to come to Japan. The weather is pretty good, last winter it didnt snow, but I heard the year before it snowed a little bit. We just got past the rainy season, and its pretty hot now being summer. The beaches here are small and generally very packed.

Any other specific questions you have I can answer, I work for base security so I know alot about the base.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I've been to Yokosuka a couple of times and, while there, had the opportunity to visit Tokyo, et al.

I loved Japan.

If you can swing it, do it; I would.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mostly depends on your living situation. Married? Single? Kids? The guys I know who went to Japan loved it. Good money, clean and safe and lots to do. You're on the pointy end when it comes to East Asia (Korea, Taiwan, etc). OTOH, you're not going to get back to CONUS much if at all, so not the choice if you want to spend Christmas with Mom & Dad. And CAG-5 is on the road a LOT (see above re: pointy end).

Mugu is a neato place. Sandwiched between the PCH and the ocean, small and quiet. Not a military town - there's plenty of people in Ventura and Oxnard who don't even know there's a Navy base there.

Either choice isn't bad, but being stationed in Japan is very different from being stationed anywhere in CONUS. I'd say go Nippon - you may not get another chance in your career.

MasterBates

Different community, but as a Hummer dude with with similar choices, I am putting the following down:

1-Japan (different base)
2-Pt Mugu
3-Norfolk (where I am now for the RAG)

I have not met a married, single or divorced guy who did not enjoy Japan.

Some were ready to come back after 3, others were sad to leave, but all were glad they went.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Never been to either but you may never get another chance to get stationed overseas, I say pick Japan.

On another note, you're probably the first person I've ever seen who refers to himself in the first and third person in the same sentence!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Youkuska v. pt. Magoo ... I was hopeing that those that have been there could put in their two cents. Thanks.
~Tom
Learning how to spell Naval bases & air stations is always a plus ...

You can always 'do' California. Having lived & breathed in both -- I'd take Japan. And Yokosuka (sic). :)

My $20 worth ... you are welcome.

Short

None
I loved Japan, although I was only down in Yokosuka long enough to have a few drinks before walking aboard the boat.

On the plus side for gaijin life in no particular order...
-chance to live overseas in a part of the world than doesn't end in 'stan, and where you can easily travel to other kick-ass locales
-already on-scene in an AOR that is only becoming more and more interesting
-COLA
-gaijin upgrade means that you can roll out to a bar and hook up while putting in less effort than it takes to bust ass after taco day on the boat
-when the overseas screening is actually applied, you get some great Sailors
-soju on the train to tokyo
-a constant re-affirmation that despite what some people say, the US is far, far, far from being the most racist country in the world. This might sound weird, but as a white dude, I found it very valuable to get to see a small glimpse of life as a racial minority

Negatives
-very restrictive liberty policies for Sailors and Officers alike, which constrict every time someone does something stupid
-you may spend your entire time working AOR specific issues, and never deploy to the 'stan or Iraq. Obviously, still doing good work, but can be a little demoralizing.
-there is an extra degree of difficulty for everything, from getting your car registered to moving off base, and unlike Olympic diving, there aren't any extra points for it
-having to cut off a finger if you dishonor your command

For the pilots and 'FOs out there, I recommend CAG FIVE highly. The 'wing is very tight, you get a great understanding of other platform's capabilities as a result and the port calls are epic.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Im an intel officer about to put in his preference on where he would like to go for his first tour. Iwo of the possible options that interest me the most are Youkuska and pt. Magoo. (I probably hacked both those names, sorry) I know they are like comparing apples and oranges but I was hopeing that those that have been there could put in their two cents. Thanks.
~Tom

I had to debate a moment on whether to counsel you as a peer or just yell at you. You write like a 14 year old. You want fellow O's to take the time to give you advice but you can't take two seconds to read through what you wrote and then transmit? Come on Dude...

That said, I'd go for Japan. The opportunities I've had living OCONUS (albeit in Europe) have been amazing, you should try to do it at least once in your career. The few months I've spent in Japan were a good time, living on or off base would take some consideration though.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Learning how to spell Naval bases & air stations is always a plus ...

You can always 'do' California. Having lived & breathed in both -- I'd take Japan. And Yokosuka (sic). :)

My $20 worth ... you are welcome.

Aaahhh.......it's good to see you're back........rested and ready to spread the love.:D

poprlj

I spent seventeen months in Oppama Japan( 15 min by electric north of Yokosuka) in the 50's. I had one of the best times of my life. It helped that the rate of exchange was 400 Yen to the dollar(Milt. pay wasn't that great in the 50's) but even without that it was GREAT duty.

tshort

Thanks for the heads up on the grammar mistakes. Lesson learned. That being said, I appreciate everyone's response. I also was leaning towards Japan and with everyone’s input it seems like a no-brainer.
~Tom