• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yet More From Iran...

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Looking at the wikipedia page (take that for what it is worth) of the Iranian Navy. It looks like they might have three Frigates that could make the journey. Obviously, that leaves them with nothing at home, and certainly that's a long way away from home for not very large ships.

Reconjoe

If only we could claim their ships crossed into our unmarked maritime waters and take them as prisoners for 2 years....

Terminator

Looking at the wikipedia page (take that for what it is worth) of the Iranian Navy...

Also, if you look at the rest of their "fleet", they're mostly (severely) outdated US, British, German, and Russian ships that were sold to them and retrofitted with outdated weapons and radar systems. Again, it's from Wikipedia, so take it for what its worth. You LANTFLT boys and girls have fun now, ya hear? Don't play too hard with the Iranian yacht club.

And I'll owe a sixer to the first -18 stud that goes supersonic over their laughable congregation of ships, should they make their way to our side of the world.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Driving a boat from point A to point B isn't "deploying". The Russians can barely manage to get operational units to this side of the pond, and fucked up as they are, they still have vastly more money, assets and experience than the Iranian Navy or IRGCN.

I do agree that should one Iranian boat manage to limp into Havana or Puerto Cabello, the spoolup on our part will be as epic as it is disproportionate.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone see this actually happening? I know the Iranians did a Suez transit recently and have been deploying ships to protect their shipping from pirate activity. What I wonder is if they actually have the logistical implements in place to actually conduct long range ops.

Thoughts?

Yeah, likely this:

Ain't gonna happen.

As Fester already pointed out it would be a considerable undertaking for them to make it across the pond and they have very minimal experience with out-of-area ops, the Med 'deployment' was their first in over 30 years that far out. I almost wish they would try it and then see them utterly and completely fail at it.

But it is not out of the realm of possbility, port calls in Havana and Puerto Cabello could be on the agenda. Wonder if the crew would be able to sample the local delights?

Do they even have anything larger than a corvette in their "fleet"? This should be fun to watch.

No, they have the 3 old corvettes made in the UK and a newer version of the now 40-year old corvettes that was recently built in Iran. Unless you count the fleet oiler that accompanied their corvette that went through the Suez. That is about it, the IRGCN doesn't have much more than missile patrol boats and armed speedboats.

*Yeah... I BLUF'ed it... *

Party foul. You want to do that, join the Army.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Ain't gonna happen.

Brett

Common Brett, give me a chance. If they show up, I will be the first to BOOM their armada. If they thought we messed with them in the gulf, they can't imagine what would happen in W-72. Please, pretty please let them come here.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Maybe they just want to defect and open up used car lots?! Anybody think of that? One port call in the Western Hemisphere...would be interesting to see who shows back up for work.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Maybe they just want to defect and open up used car lots?! Anybody think of that? One port call in the Western Hemisphere...would be interesting to see who shows back up for work.

Or some clubs with gold curtain rods?