• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Yes Another UT A&M decision

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Don't stress out over the "hazing". Axehandling is a long since dead tradition. I went to A&M and was in the Corps of Cadets. My sister went to t.u..

We both had a great time and learned a lot. There are many paths to get to where you want to go.

Obviously, I'd vote for A&M and being in the Corps. If you pick t.u. that doesn't necessarily make you a communist.......just well on your way.

Smiles of course.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
To add what Bevo said the unit now has two 1 1/2 hour drill sessions Tuesday and Thursdays. You'll wear a uniform one of those days and "appropriate civilian attire" the other.

sanders

I am a graduating senior in the Corps... so of course I am going to tell you to go to A&M. Freshman year is tough, but then again it really helped me make it through OCS. I am in an all male outfit and somehow I have made it 4 years without getting "ax handled" or any of that crap. There is no saluting of dogs, beating the crap out of each other, and after fish year, the haircuts are not that bad. I can tell you from experience, the majority of "hazing" charges that freshmen report come from guys and girls that quit and are simply looking for an excuse so they don't feel like a puss. As far as the commandant denying all charges of hazing, this is absolutely not true. Most people feel he is actually too strict and it can get very frustrating having buddies getting in huge trouble and sometimes even getting removed from the Corps for even mildly punishing an underclassmen without permission. As a freshman you will be watched closely by your upperclassmen which really sucks sometimes, but then again the very highest grades I have made in college were from both semesters fish year. People will tell you that College Station sucks but honestly, I lived in Houston all my life and living in a smaller town is pretty freaking nice. Plus Houston and Austin are just about 1.5 hours away, and San Antonio is about 3.

There are some pretty silly traditions here, but I think you would get that at just about any school you choose to go to. A&M is a blast. If you want any more info, PM me and I can even give you some advice on what outfit you might want to join.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Helping out like you asked, Bevo, I promise! I hope we don't have it out by PMs like we did last time...:D

OK.... saluting dogs?

No one in the Corps salutes that bitch. Truth be told, after Rev VII bit half a dozen cadets and generally pissed everyone off, the reputation of the dog has tarnished significantly. The only outfit that cares about Rev is E-2...

Not sitting down at football games?

How many schools have insignificant little traditions like this one? Oregon does their little O-face hand signal thing...Illinois had the Indian dancer dude, Oklahoma has the wagon and horsies thing, Baylor has........well, anyways, and Texas has their steer that stands at the field. We all have those dumb little things that makes each school unique.

Not being able to wear a hat to a football game?

See above. The actual tradition is that you uncover when you are doing a yell. People (read as 'idiots without their priorities straight') get uppity about it, and I never understood why.

Some others like (help me out here) "roll call" where they honor classmates who have died are kind of neat.

The "Roll Call" is called Muster, and honors Aggies who have died in the past year. Held on April 21 each year, Muster, along with Silver Taps, are two of the most revered traditions at A&M. The saying goes, from the 1923 Texas Aggie, "If there is an A&M man in one-hundred miles of you, you are expected to get together, eat a little, and live over the days you spent at the A&M College of Texas."

No need for the super-moto-corps-cut.

Agreed. But then again, the Senior Militaries are supposed to emulate the service academies, and THEY have the super-moto-corps-cuts. No real harm there. I know I never had trouble picking up women when I had my fish cut...

There is no comparison to night life in Austin vs. College Station. There just isn't. Austin has more clubs/bars/resturants in a half mile on 6th Street than all of College Station. Enough said.

I'll concede it...Austin is a great place to go party.

If you like sports, either as a fan or participant, Texas is the clear choice.

Anyone who has been following sports and is a resident of Planet Earth knows that one. Our rebuilding year is turning into a highly embarrassing rebuilding decade...no worries though. The A&M - Texas game is still a really really good show.

I know that high school students at Texas seem to keep the reputation that The University is ultra liberal, anti-military, anti-conservative, etc? I honestly never experienced any of that. I came from a small town, grew up on a ranch, am gun owning, and was very outspoken in class (I was a Government major,BTW [what Texas calls Poly-Sci]). Sure, Austin has more that it's share of granola crunching hippies. So what? If you fear hippies and out-of-the-box thinking, then go to a place where "tradition" is the rule of the land. If you want to be a grown up and have a well rounded college experience, then Austin is the place for you.

As a high school hippie and someone from one of the most liberal places in the United States, I was admittedly nervous going to A&M. Everyone who knew that I was from Portland (Oregon) though that I should have gone to Texas. Truth is, there are liberals in the Corps, there are liberals at A&M, hell, there are even full-blown hippies in the Corps! The school has expanded from the one-sided image that dominates its history, and there's a lot more diversity of thought than people will admit. Like Bevo said, though, reputations die hard...so I'm sure it will take many many years to break that one. I'm ok with it!

Either way, you're going to get a great education. I'm not posting on this thread anymore, as I've put in my two cents...twice over!

Best of luck in your education, wherever you end up.

MPrice07

Traditions are only "stupid" if they aren't important to you. There is a saying at A&M, "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it; From the inside looking out, you can't explain it."

Please also note that many give us hell for standing, taking off our hats, or doing our "yells" but no one complains that we also have a tradition that you kiss your date when we score. Granted, our team isn't doing as much scoring recently, but if you are choosing your school based on your football's success, then you are an idiot (in my opinion). Besides, you could choose to go to UT this year, and in two years, they could be a losing team. Just a thought.

That being said, Austin is a cool town, but so is College Station once you are an Aggie. :)

poprlj

"Hookem Horns" a good school in a great town, U.T. 60 to 65 after five years in the USMC. Youngest son was an Aggie, Class of 2001 after five years in the Navy. Both schools are as good as you will find anywhere. I think the Aggies have an edge in taking care of their own though.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I have no dog in this fight whatsoever....

But I think this is one of the most recockulous spectacles I've ever seen.

kicked%20in%20nuts%20txt.jpg

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2006/10/and-this-is-tradition-because.html

WTF is up with the jizz jar and throwing poop on opposing team's bands??

Bevo16

pilot
Just in case Mumbles' video did not do the trick. This is what a cheerleader is supposed to look like:

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
That being said, Austin is a cool town, but so is College Station once you are an Aggie.

I only have one point.

Compare the number of Aggies living in Austin to the number of Longhorns living in College Station...enough said.

1356 days until I retire and move back to Austin.

Hook 'em

MPrice07

Flyboyd,
Oh, I totally agree that Austin has a lot more to offer than College Station! ;) However, I would choose College Station over Austin any day!

I see you are in Corpus...we are headed that way in a week. We are coming to Kingsville. How is Corpus? It's going to be the closest "big" town near us.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Flyboyd,
Oh, I totally agree that Austin has a lot more to offer than College Station! ;) However, I would choose College Station over Austin any day!

I see you are in Corpus...we are headed that way in a week. We are coming to Kingsville. How is Corpus? It's going to be the closest "big" town near us.

So you are saying that, after retirement, you would rather go live in College Station than Austin? Really? ummm okay... to each their own I guess but I would like other Aggies to voice their opinions (objective if possible) as well.

Kingsville will make you miss College Station. Corpus is good for me because it is not a boat or the desert. It is close enough to take advantage of my season tickets at Texas. Opinions will vary...mostly negative. Search for Corpus vs Whiting in the primary forum for some other's opinions. Don't hold your breath.

MasterBates

Corpus is good for some shopping but don't expect much in the way of culture.

My roommate had an Acura. She had to go to SA, 2.5 hours away for service. Hardly a rare car.

Not much for shopping save WalMart, Bealls, Sears and maybe another department store.

Lots of illegals without insurance that drive like maniacs. Fairly high crime rate even for a smaller city. Not a whole hell of a lot to do after you have been there for a month or two and have done everything twice. SA, Houston and Austin are 2.5-4 hours away.

Corpus > Krock, but Pcola > Corpus.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you are saying that, after retirement, you would rather go live in College Station than Austin? Really? ummm okay... to each their own I guess.....

Who the hell would want to retire to Texas anyways?

;)

pat.mckinney1

Hey come on now. Everyone knows Texas has the best of everything lol. I am thinking about location too. I live in San Antonio and have a lot of fun over here. That's mainly cause I enjoy muscle cars and restoration work. Just finished my 1980 Chevy Malibu and fixing to start doing a full restoration job on my 1971 Plymouth Roadrunner (Anyone wants pics let me know). I would kinda prefer being close to SA cause god knows if I go to the Naval Academy, I won't be seeing much of my hobby anymore. Just hoping that my Malibu doesn't get stolen since it will be my daily driver. As far as paying for college, Dad (retired HT1 USN, 23 years) is declared 100% disabled by the VA and my college will be paid by the VA, and since he enlisted here in Texas, I'm also covered under the Hazelwood Act. Basically meaning that the state of Texas is also paying for all my college. So having the NROTC scholarship on top of that, along with Financial Aid etc., I'm set and don't have to worry about loans.