• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

X-47B's First Cat Shot

Sonog

pilot
How long until camera, sensor, and communications technology is so good that the pilot can be "virtually" in the cockpit to the point where flying the plane remotely is almost indistinguishable from being in the cockpit? I would imagine security of the data and communication links to the UAV would be the major issue?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
One more reason to fly CODs... you can replace the fighter, EW, AEW, etc. but until people are comfortable with R2D2 driving the bus, I think this community will have a flying job to do.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's see it operate against someone who takes EA seriously and doesn't give a shit about our JRFL. Then we can talk. No, we'll never answer that question here, but just a thought . . .

Flugelman

Contributor
How long until camera, sensor, and communications technology is so good that the pilot can be "virtually" in the cockpit to the point where flying the plane remotely is almost indistinguishable from being in the cockpit? I would imagine security of the data and communication links to the UAV would be the major issue?

I see an opportunity here. I'm startin' my design om a "Full Motion" office chair right now! :)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's see it operate against someone who takes EA seriously and doesn't give a shit about our JRFL. Then we can talk. No, we'll never answer that question here, but just a thought . . .
A lot of the mission is completely autonomous. It's a lot less dependent on maintaining a link than its predecessors, so if anything, it's susceptibility to EA is going to be less than the current generation of UAVs.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
A lot of the mission is completely autonomous. It's a lot less dependent on maintaining a link than its predecessors, so if anything, it's susceptibility to EA is going to be less than the current generation of UAVs.
...and a hell of a lot more likely to go all SkyNet on us.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There was an interesting story I read today about the legal aspects of the autonomous use of deadly force. I have no doubt that we'll be there at some point, but we're not there yet, and the legal framework behind such things haven't matured sufficiently to allow it yet.

dilbert123

pilot
Has anyone noticed this thing is a dead ringer for the invading spaceship in the original "War of the Worlds"??? Has the Navy been infiltrated by aliens? Are we all doomed?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Edit and my apologies, the tag line for the video says it occurred in Pax. I wasn't aware they had an operable steam catapult there. Our squadron has been operating there with the X-47, and while they have caused some minor inconveniences, it hasn't honestly been too bad.

I agree that the human element will probably never go away, but this does bring a pretty amazing capability to the CSG that I think would be pretty difficult to deny ourselves of. It will be interesting to see these things operate on the flight deck where things are already really dynamic. I just don't think that the technology will mature enough to allow simultaneous ops with manned aircraft. There are just too many variables with respots, spinoffs, suspends, simultaneous launches and recoveries, helo ops, four guys directing different aircraft all in fairly close vicinity of each other, etc.

I definitely can envision a UAV only launch and recovery where nothing else is moving up there.

I guess the good thing is that they won't have to waste a whole day and night getting CQ done at the beginning of cruise, right?

concur. This thing will probably be tractored to the cat, be hooked up for an early go and launched by itself. It will most likely have it's own recovery too. I think it has a long way to go to be completely integrated.

jmcquate

Contributor
There was an interesting story I read today about the legal aspects of the autonomous use of deadly force. I have no doubt that we'll be there at some point, but we're not there yet, and the legal framework behind such things haven't matured sufficiently to allow it yet.
Well.....we do have ICBMs.