• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

X-47B UCAS-D gets first trap at NAS Pax River | Video

jmcquate

Contributor
If I had to wager a guess, I'd bet that it would push on time, and probably fly the numbers just as well as any of us do.
Eh........who's CATC talking to? A guy at a computer? Is the push, pattern, pass flown by a person or are pre-programed?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Well, there IS good news!

With the expansion of UAVs into the fleet, that'll free up more aviators for staff jobs and other "opportunities" to expand our officer experiences.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Eh........who's CATC talking to? A guy at a computer? Is the push, pattern, pass flown by a person or are pre-programed?

Couldn't tell you, though I'm guessing it will be some variation of the current Mode I ACLS like R1 mentioned, and probably altogether quite automated. There would be no reason for it not to be, at least with the technology that we have nowadays.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Couldn't tell you, though I'm guessing it will be some variation of the current Mode I ACLS like R1 mentioned, and probably altogether quite automated. There would be no reason for it not to be, at least with the technology that we have nowadays.

I heard a rumor that they took an early version of the software to LSO school and had to do some serious rewriting, because it had something like a five second "no waveoff" window prior to trapping that needed to be shortened. So apparently paddles has some level of control. You bet your ass they're gonna hawk that foul line when this thing is recovering.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, I'm sure there are/will be a lot of kinks to work out of the system. I was there doing air wing CQ (on another airwing's boat mind you) last summer on the HST when VX-23 was flying a converted F/A-18B doing case I stuff with said software/computers. Looked like it went relatively smoothly, of course that being a proven aircraft simply demonstrating that the automated approach works in current form.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
I haven't heard if the controllers for these things will be ashore somewhere in a box or will they be on the boat? I know the guys on deck were doing the taxiing but who flys the thing and from where?

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
I’m curious as how the thing is going to behave in the Marshal stack or the bolter/wave-off pattern.
Probably a lot better than I do...

What remains to be seen is how it will do when someone else screws up. Kinda tough to see and avoid when you have no eyes, and it is not inconceivable that someone marshals on the wrong altitude. All in all though I think the Case III recovery isn't really a difficult task for a UAV. Are the planning on recovering these Case I as well? Or will they just loiter until the stack collapses and then push?

I haven't heard if the controllers for these things will be ashore somewhere in a box or will they be on the boat? I know the guys on deck were doing the taxiing but who flys the thing and from where?
I might be mistaken, but I think that the intent is to simply program them to fly some sort of mission, and then to let them go on their own. I think that's an option anyway.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ll be sold on the technology when it gets aboard on a case 3 pitching deck.
Or what happens when the controlling CPU's R-2574 burns out; while C-2813 shorts out simultaneously (or their ultra hi-tech counterparts)... on close final to jmc's pitching deck?:eek::p
BzB

707guy

Or what happens when the controlling CPU's R-2574 burns out; while C-2813 shorts out simultaneously (or their ultra hi-tech counterparts)... on close final to jmc's pitching deck?:eek::p
BzB

There's an app for that...

707guy

I might be mistaken, but I think that the intent is to simply program them to fly some sort of mission, and then to let them go on their own. I think that's an option anyway.

Wonder if the operators are going to get centurion patches for their office chairs...