• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WW II Memorial...Catch it if you can passing through DC.

Citation3

If any of you ladies or gentlemen are passing though DC, and have the opprotunity to take in the sights, the WW II Memorial should be on your short list.

DSCN2060.jpg

DSCN2064.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN2067.jpg

DSCN2068.jpg

DSCN2069.jpg

DSCN2070.jpg

DSCN2071.jpg

DSCN2077.jpg

DSCN2079.jpg

4000 Bronze Stars each representing 100 lives sacraficed.

DSCN2075.jpg

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
Sorry for the late response to this thread. I don't look at the miscellaneous forum much. This memorial is my favorite in DC. Nothing against any of the others, they are all very inspiring and humbling to spend time at, but there is just so much detail in this memorial, maybe because it is so massive. Great quotes all over the memorial and I really love the metal scenes like in the 2nd picture. I think there are 8-16 of them at the memorial. Finally if you think the memorial is great during the day, it is even better at night with things lit up, especially the "Price of Freedom" pool.

World_War_2_Memorial.jpg

Visiting in the summer during the day you can count on many busloads of vets from Korea, Vietnam, and a few from WW2 still. It is even more humbling being at the memorial in their presence. Great pictures.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would love to have seen the WWII Memorial, but of course it didn't exist when I went back from Phoenix to DC to visit the Vietnam wall in 1988. I had to go back at least once, to pay my respects to our ~60,000 Warriors who made the ultimate sacrifice... on the ground, in the air, and on the rivers of Vietnam.:( RIP

I also found the names, got to salute, and make wall tracings of my two VA-146 brothers KIA over NVN; our CO CDR H. B. "Hubie"Loheed ('66), and LT Charlie Lee ('67). It was a sad but very moving experience. One I had to make, but would not care to go through again. I felt good for a bit when I placed a Sqdn patch under each name.VA-146 Patch     Pre-1968.jpg

I also remember returning back into Phoenix on this trip, on the approach to Sky Harbor Int'l, very low nearly over ASU Sun Devil stadium, looking down at the Cardinal/49er game on 11/06/88 (Cards first season in Arizona).:)
BzB

jmcquate

Contributor
I haven't been there in a while. It's only 2 blocks from office. I think I'l walk down to it at lunch this week.