• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Would You Do IT Again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsh932

I am a recent college graduate who has a love of aviation and has always wanted to be a pilot. I am now sitting at at crossroad in my life. Do I set out on the goal of becoming a naval aviator or do I just go to my local flight school and fly circles around an airport.
My question for any current or former naval aviator is would you do it all again. Given the sacrifice, the hard work and the time away from home would you do it again. Is the lifestyle of a naval aviator one that is worth the sacrifice. If you have any experience with naval aviation please share with me your thoughts on your experience.Just take the time to reflect back on your experience and share with those in my situation.Thanx

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Although I'm not a Naval aviator, I think I may be able to help you out a little on this one by giving you my perspective. I too have a love for aviation. Since I was a sophomore in high school when I took my first flight at the local airport, I have tried to soak up as much information as I possibly could about the subject. Near the end of my high school days, I decided to enlist in the Navy with the hope I would be picked up for an officer program and ultimately be selected for pilot. I somehow had to get my college degree in order to get my commission, which is a prereq for being considered for a pilot slot. So for me, my only option was enlisting and taking the chance of getting where I wanted to go. Things tracked right along as I had hoped through the years leading up to my commissioning, and even selection for a pilot slot for that matter. I even earned my pilot's license along the way since I had the funds to do it (no inference that I needed it in order to succeed in Primary).

However, when I finally got into Primary, I hated it. It was not fun for me like flying a C-172 was and I subsequently DOR'd. There are many reasons why I came to that decision, but that is not the point of this discussion. It was a hard one to make, but I think it was ultimately the right one for me. Being out of the pipeline now since June 99, I realize I didn't give the training the chance it truly deserved. Am I better off for it now? Well, who knows. I'm a Surface Warfare Officer and have had experiences in just the two years of my first division officer tour that few aviators will ever have until they make LCDR and above, along the lines of leadership, management, and responsibilities. But at the same time, I also have the option of renting a plane and flyng my wife to some place an hour or so away for lunch or down to San Francisco for the weekend. I also have the option of not flying if I don't feel like it.

If you have never taken an introductory flight lesson, then I suggest taking one. It's a little different than going flying with your dad or uncle and getting to hold the yoke during straight and level flight. At least this way, you'll get to see if you think you may enjoy flying. If you've done all this jazz and have a few hours under your belt then you're going to have to decide if you want to continue with your training. I can honestly say that there are far more opportunities to fly in the civilian world than in the military. However, the training you'd get with the military is bar none, the best. This does not mean you can not fly as safe or as professionally if you don't go the military route. Being a professional and safe pilot, whether you're flight instructor or crop duster, is entirely up to you.

If you're considering the military route even in the slightest bit, ask yourself if you want to be in the military if you were not a pilot. If the answer is a resounding, "Hell no", then you might want to look elsewhere for a job.

It's hard to give you any specific advice because I don't know what your specific goals are or where you want to be in 10 years. But to try to answer your question, of the aviators I do know, I think the sacrifice and hard work they put into getting their wings was certainly worth it for them. As for wondering if the lifestyle of a Naval aviator is for you, you'll have to ask yourself two very important questions. Do you like to sleep and do you like to play Play Station?

--Steve

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I guess I can probably answer this question. I spent 12 years on active duty and with my commissioning program I have 16 years in the reserves. Presently, I'm an airline pilot. I was designated a Marine Corps aviator on 21 FEB 1992. Would I do it again.....Hell yes! First and foremost, I am a Marine Officer. I'm very proud of that fact. Being an aviator was the icing on the cake. Not only did I have a career path I truly enjoyed but I also had a path to take me to a career in the outside world. I stayed in the reserves for the people. People who shared my convictions and understand my acronymical way of speech. There is no honor or integrity and very little self sacrafice for others in the civilian world. Civilians believe they understand these ideals but they don't and you won't until you've walk tall as a servicemember.
If your goal is to make flying a career eventually in the civilian world, I believe your better off in the military. Todays climate for aviators is a shakey one. There will always be a need for aviators but how much crap do you have to put up with to do your job? IE security. Corporate pilots and freight dogs are the only two groups that are shed of most of the BS and very few corporate pilots earn airline wages. While in the military, civilains looked upon me with an eerie sense of reverence. They all wanted my autograph after I would perform in an airshow. Now, I'm just a piece of meat in the front who is probably drunk. Trust me, an airline pilot is a great way of life to enhance your free time. I have more time now then I ever did in the military but it will always be just a job. A military officer is a way of life. I mindset that you will have for the rest of your life. Once again, Hell Yes.....I would do it again!
Semper SoapBox, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

marcb747

Major Frumby, I hope you don't mind me asking, what were the factors that made you decide to go to the airlines and not the full 20 yrs, or possibly more? Also, how did your family, your wife in particular like the military way of life?

I will be leaving for OCS soon on an 8-yr NFO contract. I have a wife and 2 kids. I know this is a long commitment and I just want to find out if this decision not only works for me, but for my wife and kids as well. Can you mention some advantages of being a military family as opposed to civilian?

And if you were to ask your wife, would she also do it again?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

regards, marc

Dave Shutter

To throw in my 2 cents: what little active duty time I have is divided between being a Navy Officer in training and an Army dog up to his waist in half-frozen mud. The more senior aviators I meet and the farther along my friends ahead of me in the pipeline get, the more I realize that this is very different than what I perceived. I'm working a lot harder than I imagined. Sure, some things suck, but other things are a lot cooler as well. The only real advice I could give you is to realize that this won't just be a job but a way of life. Your duty to the Nation as an Officer will always be first and foremost, flying is something you'll do on the side (so I'm told) The list of "cons" to being in the military can be pretty long sometimes but the "pros" are things you will not, cannot see anywhere else. I've had a lot of major problems back at home these past months and the lengths my superiors have gone to help me out has my jaw on the floor. At any one of my old jobs I'd be told "Tough shit! Get back to work!" You really can't say enough about the joy of working with top notch people, dedicated to their work and the other poeple around them. You may not make as much as a systems engineer or a finance consultant but the pay's actually better than most jobs out there, and working for people who care about more than just the "weekly numbers" is a huge breath of fresh air, trust me.

marcb747

Hey Dave,Do you have your family with you at API?
Are you finding alot of married SNA's and SNFO's with their families with them? Reason I've asked is because I'm trying to figure out if I need to relocate my family prior or after API, before starting primary.

Thanks in advance,
marc

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
March747,
First off, let me say that I commend you on trying to find out what to expect for your family. Your obviously a great husband. Don't let that go.
Truthfully, I have never left the military, just active duty. Hell, I was born in Pensacola! I have had an ID card for as long as I can remember and I still have one as an active reservist. (Reserves ID's are green now, not that damn pink thing the used to issue). I could site many reasons such as Op Tempo, lack of flying due to no funding and tired of funerals but that wouldn't be the accurate. Truthfully, those are more excuses then reasons. I could live with those excuses. I left because one fine evening, I was involved in a major accident that killed 14 Marines. (No, I wasn't flying but it was an aircraft accident). Amidst the confusion, my wife was told that I was KIA. When I finally saw her again, she still had that look of terror on her face. She had been crying for most of the day to the point that her face was swollen. I never wanted to see that face again or give it the opportunity to resurface. Do what you want with me but don't mess with my family. I still harbor major resentment to the person that told my wife I had been killed. When the opportunity looked good to get out, I did.
Now for the same reason I got out is the reason I love the military family. My wife was not alone the entire time. There was food at the house, music was playing and one of my friends even mowed my lawn. Imagine coming home to what might have been your own wake. It was a moving experince. We still see and talk to friends from our active duty days. There is a unifing bond between us all that will last forever. This bond even goes back to my military brat days. I was given a letter of recommendation from a senior Captain at Southwest. He was a squadronmate of my father and our neighbor at El Toro. The military family runs very, very deep.
You asked if my wife would do it again. If you were to ask her, she would probably say "Hell No!" She would probably say that she likes the fact that I'm home all the time. She also enjoys the ability to travel cheaply. Where do we travel to? I've flown in to Raleigh NC to drive to Cherry Point to see friends as well as Seattle to travel up to Whidbey. We fly to San Antonio all the time because two of my squadronmates and their famlies live there. We are bombarded with Christmas Cards and we spend a couple hundred dollars annually on baby and birthday gifts. My caller ID looks more like an international directory from all the calls we receive from across the US and around the world. Would she do it again? She is still doing it but she just doesn't realize it.
I hope this helps. Every persons experiences will be different as active duty member. What will always be the same is the lifelong friends you will make during those experiences. Good luck.
Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

marcb747

Major Frumby, thanks so much for your insight and for going out of your way to answer my question. Although I am not in the military yet,
I can already attest to the camaraderie you've talked about through this forum.

Again,thank you.

regards, marc

Status
Not open for further replies.