• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Would appreciate help with a serious problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarious

in 1 1/2 weeks i will be going to nrotc orientation to enter as a college programmer. My question is whether or not there is a drug test during orientation. While at a concert im pretty sure i inhaled a fair amount of second hand smoke from marijuana and as i understand it that can show up on a drug test. I would like to know whether there is a drug test and if there is or is not what is my best course of action. Do i need to tell someone at orientation? please send a quick respons as i need the help soon. Thank you.

schmuckatelli

Tell someone ASAP. Bad news does not get better with age. If you wait until after the whiz quiz it will look a lot more suspicious if you try to explain it away. Also, if you can provide a ticket stub from the concert or other supporting evidence that will probably help your case.

Alex Fowler

I got my share of second-hand smoke last year (try not to hang out w/ people who do that kind of crap, but it can be hard when it's pretty much everyone living in your hall) and never popped positive. I asked my advisor about it at the beginning of the year (I was worried because my roomate and a lot of my friends from outside ROTC were huge potheads--great guys, but huge potheads) and he said it won't show. So I would definitely tell someone about it when you get the drug test but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
Not too make u nervous but my OSO told us of a person from his office that got accepted to OCS and the week before went to a concert, was around it and tested positive when he got down there and was sent home. Def. tell someone and try to stay away from that kind of environment. Don't mean to come down on you or anything but you had to have known that there would be weed at the show. Use your head!!!

HoursHore

Go Buy some golden Seal at GNC. I'll help. Plus Secondhand smoke shouldn't pop you positive. It takes a lot.

AviatorMR239

I was arrested years ago after a kid left a weed pipe in my car after giving him a ride home from a party.

I didn't smoke either, but had been around those who did (adults have this misconception that only shady crackhead people smoke weed, it constantly amazes me the people that i see smoking the stuff) and I was freaked out that somehow i had inhaled enough second hand smoke to taint my urine sample.

The reality is unless the person who is smoking it is exhaling right into your mouth, and you are inhaling.. or you are in a tiny smoke filled room for hours on end, you won't test positive.

I'm sure you, like me, have been careful to avoid doing that. An outdoor event like a concert doesn't provide enough exposure to test positive. If that was true, us non-cigarette smokers would need a nicotine patch every time we left a smoky bar or night club. If you are really that freaked, there are labs that do urine testing that you could go to and see for yourself.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The NROTC has the option to test you for drugs at orientation, but the reality is that it takes a bit too much time. Like AviatorMR239 said, it would take a lot of second hand smoke to pop positive from MJ. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. Be assured you will get tested at some point thoughout the semester (random or unit sweep). This is a reality...the NAVY & MARINE CORPS does not like drug users....if you are caught using drugs in the NROTC you will be disenrolled (Scholarship or not). Do the smart thing and use your head. Don't do drugs and DON'T hang out with those that use.....you can get into trouble by using bad judgement. Remember that MJ and other drugs are illegal. Be smart.
ea6bflyr

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Second hand smoke should not make you pop positive. We had a guy at our Unit pop a piss test. He claimed it was from second hand smoke, but the Lt. Talked to us afterwards and explained that the Navy actually has alot of leniency in what pops specifically so that second hand smoke doesnt make you pop. This kid was smoking regularly. Also as a word of advice, you shouldnt be hanging around at places where you could be compromised. The Navy will not tolerate drug use, and as an officer you need to try to set yourself apart from things like that. There will be several drug tests during your ROTC time, CNET has recently made a big deal about testing and its mandatory that Units conduct a certain number of tests a year now.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Don't worry about it. You most likely will not be tested at orientation! If you are second hand smoke will most likely not show up. As long as it was only second hand!

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine. Second hand smoke won't make you pop. However, I would suggest staying away from that enviroment. CNET passed and instruction last year allowing unilateral drug screening of all ROTC mids. They can do it at any time so be prepared. Just leave the area when that stuff comes about. I had to when the guys in my frat would do it. Just goes with the territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.