• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worth Wild?

akdorsey

You got a problem with me?
I've been accepted to some schools near here and some way out of state. I would like to go out of state but i've never lived away from home. Would it be worth it to take the risk and go across the USA for college?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would like to go out of state but i've never lived away from home.
breastfeeding05.jpg

Enough said.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Worth wild?!?

Did you mean worthwhile? Using spell check is always worthwhile.:D
</soapbox>

Can you live away from home for long periods of time? If you want to be in the Navy you're going to have to do it anyway, so you might as well learn to be independent now.

Steve said it all.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I've been accepted to some schools near here and some way out of state. I would like to go out of state but i've never lived away from home. Would it be worth it to take the risk and go across the USA for college?

ABSOLUTELY!

GET THE FUCK OUT AND SEE THE WIDTH AND BREADTH OF THE COUNTRY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Dude, get as far away from Mom & Dad as you can! I went from NORCAL to sunny Daytona Beach - any farther and I'd of left the country! Have no regrets about that.

By the way, nice photo, Steve.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I moved out when I was 20 to work out of state and have say that it is well worth it. Its amazing how much you learn living on your own. I work as an advisor for high school students and always suggest getting out of the parents house if possible. Remember that going to college is not just an educational experience, but a new life experience as well.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
When I was trying to decide where I was going to go to school, I factored in the distance to a degree. I decided I didn't want to drive all day or have to fly to get back home for breaks, but that was me. I ended up going to a school that was about 3 hours away (out of state), and that was about perfect: far enough away that your parents don't visit all the time, close enough to go home if you have to.

That said, I wonder a little how things would've been different if I'd gotten completely out of the Midwest--I think I would've liked it, personally. Just go where you think you'll do the best and have the most fun. I read somewhere that if you had an exact duplicate that went Ivy League and you went to Podunk U, you'd both be making about the same money in ten years.

I'd also say that if you haven't lived out of state and out of the reach of your folks by this point, you should give it a shot now. You learn a heck of a lot about yourself by living away from home.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
What is the worst that could happen? My roommate at the University of Central Florida had never been away from home either. I guess he wasn't too fond of being away because he locked himself in his room for the first week of classes. His parents came and moved him back home that weekend!

Total time separated from parents? 7 days.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
What is the worst that could happen? My roommate at the University of Central Florida had never been away from home either. I guess he wasn't too fond of being away because he locked himself in his room for the first week of classes. His parents came and moved him back home that weekend!

Total time separated from parents? 7 days.
I can't believe that. He and his parents should be smacked into reality. It takes time to acclimate to a change in life, longer than 7 days for sure. That kid is gonna be eaten up if he, and they, dont cut the cord.

akdorsey

Well I live in Georgia and I have a accepted letter for Arizona State and University of Arizona as well as a few in California and I just didn't really how it would be having to fly home for all holidays and then the first drive out there.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I was accepted to the University of Arizona and moved to Tucson from Michigan at the age of 17 without ever having seen Arizona or lived away from family before.
I never looked back, although I was always greatful to have my ROTC "family" around for things like car rides to the grocery store and Thanksgiving dinners because I was so far away from home.
Arizona was the best four years of my life. I had a blast, made friends that will last a lifetime, and learned a lot about being self-sufficient. You'll feel homesick and out of place for the first few month or so, and then get over it and start having an awesome time. If it doesn't work out, you can always head back home and start over next year. But I can almost guarantee that it will be an experience you'll never regret.

akdorsey

Yeah i've never been out west or anything and I applied to the school because I heard they have a ROTC program and its a good school. I want to go and visit the city this summer and look around the campus and see how I like the school and the weather they have.

zachary2777

Banned
Go to the school that fits you, wherever it is. Don't worry about mom and dad. You have to say good-bye to them eventually, especially if you're going into the Navy. I'm out of state and I've never regretted it. It's time you left the nest dude, enjoy it.

akdorsey

I'll probably go to one of the colleges in Arizona to get away from the parents and if I don't like it I can always transfer back to one in GA.