• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst parts of Naval Aviation

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So for their qual/currency purposes, sim ordnance counts differently than something coming off the aircraft? That would make sense, but I didn't realize that was the case if so.

Yes. If memory serves, 6 of the initial 12 (and of the annual requirement) must be "live" controls. I don't have a TACP T&R or JFAC(A) MOU handy, but I'm fairly sure that's what the breakdown is.

Edit: also, "sim ordnance" means nothing to a JTAC. It's all about the type of control for logging purposes (yes, and the need to see various profiles). Whether you push a button on a sim profile means nothing and, unless you're flying a Harrier with a release tone, the JTAC won't know whether you were in AG master mode with a sim weapon selected or not.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds awesome to be in a community where you have to fire multiple live things a year. In VP P-8 land, our CBM requires 1 live missile shot and 10 crews successfully completing a torpex (extorp or rextorp, not an actual MK-54). To be the crew that actually gets to fire the missile is an honor.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yes. If memory serves, 6 of the initial 12 (and of the annual requirement) must be "live" controls. I don't have a TACP T&R or JFAC(A) MOU handy, but I'm fairly sure that's what the breakdown is.

Edit: also, "sim ordnance" means nothing to a JTAC. It's all about the type of control for logging purposes (yes, and the need to see various profiles). Whether you push a button on a sim profile means nothing and, unless you're flying a Harrier with a release tone, the JTAC won't know whether you were in AG master mode with a sim weapon selected or not.

So you are saying that the type of sim ordnance doesn't matter? That would make sense, as I wouldn't expect it to. But I guess the question being: does a type II control with inert ordnance equal a type II control with live ordnance for the sake of seeing a type II control for instance?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Holy shit, this is way too much shop talk for a Friday night. I really hope this isn't some form of TACAIR readiness you guys are talking about.

Navy Ship

Being deployed to the other side of the world when your daughter is born has got to be on the list somewhere.

PCS'ing every couple of years gets difficult as your kids start making friends.

Staff work.

That being said, I have no regrets!

Do helo squadrons PCS more than others?

Navy Ship

Why "the worst"? How about a different word and the flip side

Best / toughest

- Great friendships that last forever / losing them to something avoidable (I will attend a memorial service for one tomorrow)
- PCSing every 2-3 years and you get to put "not so good" in your rear view mirror / putting "REALLY GOOD" in your rear view mirror
- Job security / you have to get out and if you go corporate you can be axed in a heart beat...for nothing..and with no recourse...no protections
- Challenging rewarding work / finding challenging rewarding work on the outside
- The flying / not flying
- Doing stuff that very very very few people on this planet will ever get to do / not getting to do it anymore
- Flying high enough on a clear day to see the curve of the earth and the deep rich darkness above your canopy/ knowing you may never see that again
- Participating in selfless service / dealing with selfishness outside the main gate
- Raising children while on active duty and witness them joining the Navy / watching them join the service knowing how tough it can be

Not sure why your asking the question, but I have no regrets serving. Anything you do in life that is worth doing will have good times and challenging times. It's how you handle those tough times that will define you and those you work with. Good luck figuring whatever it is you are after.

Cheers!

Before I even finished reading that last one I was expecting:
Raising children while on active duty and witness them joining the Navy / watching them join the Air Force

IRfly

None
Back to worst parts of Naval Aviation...

Has anyone mentioned standing watch? (sent from a watchfloor)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Even "worster"... standing watch when bad things happen 'on your beat'!:eek:
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

I clearly remember the words from my Skipper when I picked up O-4; "you don't stand duty and you get your own parking space".