• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Words of wisdom

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
beau said:
Tracom words of wisdom: Never underestimate the importance of Sleep, Food, and Gouge before any event. Know that in flight training the flying is the easy part...being able to put up with various BS and still coming out with a professional attitude is a good characteristic (aka play the game)! Show up early to briefs to hammer out "gotca's" that inevitably come up.

Yep, harassment is part of the package. The simulator instructors don't really hate you (though they sure seem it sometimes). If you get yelled at in the jet, it's most likey because you did something dangerous, didn't realize it, and yelling is a VERY effective way to make you not do something again. It's not personal.

Believe me, you WILL have your days when you ask yourself "Why am I doing this?". Then you look up in the sky and see a division break overhead and all is right :)

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Have a good attitude in every thing you do! Even when the chips are down, midway through cruise, after your 5th consecutive no-fly day at sea, keep it positive.....no one in the ready room likes a "moody" squadronmate.

Oh, and sleep at least 12 hours a day while deployed.....makes a 6 month cruise into a three months!

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
If you're relatively new (say less than 6mo or even a year) don't punk out on wardroom activities during normal working hours. It is understandable (and many JO's will b!tch about it) to be pissed at having a wardroom function on what would normally be "your" time - e.g. the weekends. But if a day off is scheduled for the entire wardroom for the purpose of doing something as a wardroom (ski day, beach day, remote DrinkEx, etc), and you would otherwise be working, don't pull the "I want to spend time with my family card." Even if you're senior this is lame, but a bit more understandable as you've already given up a LOT of weekends and nights to the Navy.

There is a lot of mandatory fun you’re going to do. It sucks sometimes, especially when as I said above, it occurs during your “off” time, but it IS important to do.

Whatever you do, DO NOT send out mass emails unless it is SPECIFICALLY work related. Mass emails to JOPA are not a good idea, especially if you share your opinion…

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PropStop said:
Whatever you do, DO NOT send out mass emails unless it is SPECIFICALLY work related. Mass emails to JOPA are not a good idea, especially if you share your opinion…
As a corollary, DO send out mass emails professing your gay love, or regarding your auto-erotic proclivities by hijacking an inattentive O-4's email account. :D

Brett

Raptor2216

PropStop said:
If you're relatively new (say less than 6mo or even a year) don't punk out on wardroom activities during normal working hours. It is understandable (and many JO's will b!tch about it) to be pissed at having a wardroom function on what would normally be "your" time - e.g. the weekends. But if a day off is scheduled for the entire wardroom for the purpose of doing something as a wardroom (ski day, beach day, remote DrinkEx, etc), and you would otherwise be working, don't pull the "I want to spend time with my family card." Even if you're senior this is lame, but a bit more understandable as you've already given up a LOT of weekends and nights to the Navy.

There is a lot of mandatory fun you’re going to do. It sucks sometimes, especially when as I said above, it occurs during your “off” time, but it IS important to do.

I had no idea there was any such thing as "mandatory fun day". I don't have problems getting along with people and I know when to keep my mouth shut.

When you get to your new unit, are you usually the only new guy there? Do you stay with your squadron during your entire career or are you switching every few years? Let's say that I get stationed in san diego after I get my wings. From what I understand, this will mean that I will be on the west coast for my entire career. Now lets say that the aircraft I fly is either based out of pendleton or miramar. Does this mean that I will be in that area for however many years?

How does deployment work? Is it true that if you are based on the west coast, you will only end up transferring to Japan and not Europe for a year or two? How long do these deployments usually last?

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
Everything in moderation as the new guy. Take some shit, give some shit... never give more than you take. Ask some questions, but not too many. Get a little drunk, but not so much that you suck on your Intel-Weenie's toes in the hot-tub. Kiss a little ass to the front office, but never in front of the whole Ready Room.

Now hear this!!!

The second most important FNG rule ever: Realize that everyone you will ever work with has goods and bads. Nobody is ever perfect, and nobody is ever a complete asshole. You can learn something from everyone (even if it's that you don't want to be like them). You should take as many goods from people as you can and develop them yourself. Spot as many bads as you can and leave them behind. Always take every experience and see how you can improve upon yourself as both an Aviator, and an Officer. Don't forget that you're an officer first, and an avaitor second. Being a man that others look up to and want to be like is way more important than being a good aviator. Aviation can be trianed, but if you're a natural asshole, nobody will ever give a shit about you.

The most imporant FNG rule that will save you for your whole career is: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS tell somebody senior to you. You will never have your ass handed to you by the CO if your department head said it was OK. You'll never have the Master Chief light YOU up in HIS office if you called the MO and told him about Airman JackNutz "incident".
NEVER BE THE LOW GUY WITH A SECRET! Chances are you will cost somebody a lot of pain and paperwork because you were too lazy to call the Skipper and see what HE wanted you to do. No matter how small it may seem, just pick up the phone and call somebody who really knows what's going on. Even if it's 0300, everyone out there would rather have you call than find out Monday morning that AN JackNutz was down at county jail for the last two days and YOU KNEW ABOUT IT BUT DIDN'T TELL ANYBODY!!!

One last thing... if you're married, don't f-ck around when you're on cruise. She will always find out and nobody you ever work with again will respect you. I know a guy who if he was on fire, I'd walk across the street and get a wet baseball bat to put him out with for what he did to his wife.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Story time.

Fly, you obviously didn't read the rest of the post.

One last thing... if you're married, don't f-ck around when you're on cruise. She will always find out and nobody you ever work with again will respect you. I know a guy who if he was on fire, I'd walk across the street and get a wet baseball bat to put him out with for what he did to his wife.

Obviously what he did involved toes and an Intel weenie.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Fly, you obviously didn't read the rest of the post.

Obviously what he did involved toes and an Intel weenie.

Hey, could be seperate stories. Or I just have self-induced ADD.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Fre@kshow!! said:
The second most important FNG rule ever: Realize that everyone you will ever work with has goods and bads. Nobody is ever perfect, and nobody is ever a complete asshole. You can learn something from everyone (even if it's that you don't want to be like them).
Dead on. Truer words have never been spoken.

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
OK, clarification... yes, my Intel guy was a guy... and yes, a little toe sucking did ensue one glorious sunny afternoon in South Lake. I mean, come on, who hasn't sucked on a buddy's toe? Well, uh... ummm.... I mean.... D'OH!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fre@kshow!! said:
OK, clarification... yes, my Intel guy was a guy... and yes, a little toe sucking did ensue one glorious sunny afternoon in South Lake. I mean, come on, who hasn't sucked on a buddy's toe? Well, uh... ummm.... I mean.... D'OH!

Sure that was his toe.... ?