• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

wondering about best school for online MBA ?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
what types of positions/jobs are military types landing at the big corporations ?

For example, a Submarine commander (there are no subs outside of the military) what type of skills, resume is articulated and what kind of jobs are being landed.

Obviously, leadership, critical thinking, etc but I wanted to ask

Um....just a shot in the dark here really, but I'd say they'd go on to be nuclear engineers more frequently than anything else if they had a clue what they were doing. Just sayin'. :D

phrogpilot73

Um....just a shot in the dark here really, but I'd say they'd go on to be nuclear engineers more frequently than anything else if they had a clue what they were doing. Just sayin'. :D
Actually, a submarine COMMANDER probably isn't going into a basic engineer position. If he's going into an engineer's position, it's going to be as a VERY senior engineer. More than likely middle to upper management.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
So, don't fool yourself into thinking that the flavor of online MBA you get really matters. If you're ever going to apply for a job, and market yourself based on your education, then you need to bypass all of the schools mentioned in this thread, get out of the military, and go get a real MBA.

Getting out is a real option if you're eligible for 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill. I've crunched the numbers, and you can get an MBA from schools such as Dartmouth, Northwestern, Penn, Cornell, etc for a couple thousand dollars out of pocket as opposed to going nearly 6-figures in debt.

On another note, some officers seem to think an online MBA is the way to go in their last few years of service so they can transition to a civilian job when they separate, but I've done the research and found that investing 21-months of your life in a top MBA program is well worth it, especially if you're considering a drastic career change. Also, there's a lot of prep work in applying to business school...you can't just wake up one morning and decide you're going to do it.

phrogpilot73

Getting out is a real option if you're eligible for 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill. I've crunched the numbers, and you can get an MBA from schools such as Dartmouth, Northwestern, Penn, Cornell, etc for a couple thousand dollars out of pocket as opposed to going nearly 6-figures in debt.
OR, if if you did a better job of crunching numbers - you'd realize that you could get paid $20,000 to attend Wharton. Wharton = $52,000 for two year program. Post 9/11 tuition rates for PA + Wharton participates in yellow ribbon program = over $45K. Still not enough? You're going to a resident school! Cha-ching! BAH = $25K. Oh, and don't forget the $1K/year for books. Total cost to attend Wharton (if you qualify for 100% post 9/11): The VA pays you $20K.

Post 9/11 is the shit.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
OR, if if you did a better job of crunching numbers - you'd realize that you could get paid $20,000 to attend Wharton. Wharton = $52,000 for two year program. Post 9/11 tuition rates for PA + Wharton participates in yellow ribbon program = over $45K. Still not enough? You're going to a resident school! Cha-ching! BAH = $25K. Oh, and don't forget the $1K/year for books. Total cost to attend Wharton (if you qualify for 100% post 9/11): The VA pays you $20K.

Post 9/11 is the shit.

Right. I failed to mention that in my calculations, I was including costs such as Room & Board, health insurance, Books, computer etc. Most schools I looked at, the BAH vs. Room and Board was a wash. Philadelphia in particular has a current rate of $1701 for E-5 w/dependents, and you'll only get that 9-10 months out of the year, which is fine, because you should be making decent scratch at a summer internship, which is yet another reason to go to a full-time 2-year MBA program.

http://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admissions/cost-summary.cfm

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As a Wharton undergrad alumni (who's successfully pissed away his degree) who got his MSBA (the S is to distinguish it from the resident school) from the Boston University distance education program, I'll throw in my two cents.

Career goals and timing will throw some curves into your calculations. One, realize that the Marine Corps doesn't give two shits about officers getting graduate degrees. Other services tend to give it more credit. As they say, the three things a Marine promotion board doesn't care about are "medals, muscles, and master's."

A guy getting out after his first hitch at 30-ish years old is in a good position to get accepted to, and attend a top resident MBA program, especially if he is single or has a wife with decent earning potential. He has to think about what he wants to do, though. Different schools are better known in different fields. For example, University of Chicago and University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) are known for finance and a strong quantitative emphasis. If you want to build your own business, you may not need or want an MBA to sell shit on E-Bay, but if you are going to try to build a business requiring venture capital, you could do worse than to go to Wharton and have some of the country's top entrepreneurs coaching you on building your business plan.

For the guy getting out at 20, it's probably not so much of an option to spend a couple years in residence to get an MBA. However, a degree from one of the "everywhere else" schools is certainly not going to hurt. It shows that you know more than just how to fly a plane and will put you ahead of the thousand other ex-military around. A friend of mine who worked closely with a major defense contractor in an acquisitions billet told me that former COs would call his civilian counterparts regarding positions. The conversations would go along the lines of,"So, what experience do you have in defense contracting?"

"Well, I was a squadron CO."

"We don't have squadron COs at XXX. What else did you do?"

Yes, the military experience goes very far in getting one in the door ahead of some other guys, but the more of the total package you can give, the better chance you have of getting hired.

The alumni networking of distance or online programs is much less than in resident programs. However, in a distance (extension campus), type program, you will get very close with your classmates, and those are some of the people who later will get your resume put closer to the top of a pile. Also, whether online or at an extension program, go to one that has a reputable brick-and-mortar campus. You will get access to alumni directories and career placement/referral services, just as if you went to the main campus. Those don't hurt.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Quick question...I've seen lots of talk about the post 9/11 GI bill, but what's the relation between that and the Yellow Ribbon program? I've seen it mentioned at a lot of schools (Business and otherwise) and was wondering how it helps in reducing overall costs.

This has also probably been covered, but why did they change from Montgomery GI bill to post 9/11? As a side note, the MGIB is what got my dad through B-school.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Quick question...I've seen lots of talk about the post 9/11 GI bill, but what's the relation between that and the Yellow Ribbon program? I've seen it mentioned at a lot of schools (Business and otherwise) and was wondering how it helps in reducing overall costs.

This has also probably been covered, but why did they change from Montgomery GI bill to post 9/11? As a side note, the MGIB is what got my dad through B-school.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/post-911/post-911-gi-bill-summary/
http://www.gibill.va.gov/post-911/post-911-gi-bill-summary/yellow-ribbon-program.html

I noticed from your profile that you're an ROTC MDN, FYI, you won't be eligible for the 9/11 GI bill until you've completed 3 years of service past your 5-year ROTC commitment. If you go Pilot/NFO, that obviously won't be an issue.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Indiana is a top tier, top 20 MBA program, so I wouldn't dismiss the flavor of an online degree so quickly.

I didn't. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company did.

You've got your opinion, he's got his...but I know which one I'd take to heart if I were interested in a future in business.

ryan1234

all a big networking thing.

I've heard the exact same thing countless times from people who have made it in the business world. If you really want an MBA to be worth something - get one with a large, high rolling network.

Ben_Dover

For the OP,
I just started my MBA w/ City University of Seattle and it is in an online format (so far). The school is a legit B&M school with branch campuses all around the PNW, along with several campuses throughout the world (something they like to emphasize). I will be PCSing to the PNW within the year so I will transition to their "hybrid" courses which is one nightime course/week along with some online requirements.
The price is pretty amazing for active military. The standard costs is $600/credit for graduate credits. They cut that in 1/2 for military. Throw in tuition assistance from the Navy and I'm paying maybe $400-500 per course. However, the credits are quarters, not semesters, so I will be taking 16 courses for the degree. The school is regionally accredited but not a member of the ABSCB (or whichever one is the most exclusive).
Like I said earlier, I'm still new to the program (two weeks) but so far I have been impressed. The support staff was helpful, the professor is engaging and provides prompt, relevant feedback, and the online forum is user-friendly. The assignments are enjoyable as well. It isn't the standard 8-page paper due every week type of requirements, it's more geared towards creating a legit business plan. I can go in to a lot more detail if you'd like but I'll save everyone else the x's and o's. Shoot me an email if you'd like to know more.
I should also note that I started the MBA program with AMU last fall and really didn't like it. Dropped it after the first four weeks. Boring assignments, professor was non-existent, and wasn't getting the warm and fuzzy from the school as a whole.
Just my .02