• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ip568

None
When did they start allowing women at OCS?

I believe it was beginning in 1981 but not sure.

Much has been made about the double standard in PT for women vs. men at (A)OCS (see http://www.cmrlink.org)

FlyFastNow

Blonde
pilot
Back to the original post, I am a female in Primary flight training who had the pleasure of going through, and excelling at OCS some months ago. I can answer any questions you may have, just ask. You can also PM me. Some months back I posted something similar so you may want to look for that. Otherwise, just send me a message and I'll tell you what you want to know.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
"Female" sounds like John Wayne talking. "Come on, you OCS females, we're burnin' daylight..."

So you're a woman at AOCS, or a girl, or a chick, or a lady...good luck in Primary, no offense, but "female" sounds so bland in its self-descriptive use, especially tacked onto a superlative. That being said, women have been at OCS fully integrated since 1973, AOCS had its first class in 1975. Thirty two years is a long time, hint, hint...

I think the politics only really showed up in the late eighties, with your carrier aviation and random scandals. The ladies got to do FCLPs all the time since 1975 but it took a while for them to get to the actual boat. OCS isn't hard if you can run, so tell that to whoever PMs you. Out-

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Highly,
Did you go to OCS? I"m guessing not from your post. FlyFast calling women (which she seems to be) Females is exactly what the DIs call them at OCS. You seem to be alittle to easily offended.

BlkPny

pilot
No, Neo, I'm afraid I'll have to agree with HighlyRandom on this one. "Chick", as in "Chick Commanding Officer of VFA-XXX" or the "Chick LCDR bringing the Super Hornet aboard" sounds much more professional than "Female", and certainly demonstrates more respect for a fellow Naval Aviator and/or Officer.

Now, where's that damn sarcasm button???......

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
The intent was obviously not to offend; of course I would refer to a female lieutenant commander as such and not a "chick." It's just that I've never heard "female" so frequently used in the first person as on Airwarriors, so excuse me for being a little behind the times. All of the women I work with like it about as much as footbinding, glass ceilings, or double PT standards...so naturally I wouldn't expect a fellow officer off duty to use the term.

Then again, you're right - I didn't go to OCS, and this Navy stuff is all foreign to me. Note that I threw "lady" in after "chick," which should make this post less offensive to the women at OCS than half of the above comments. I think you're reading too much into it..."female" is a technical term like "Panel Nav," which I've mentioned before, but "woman" and "P-3 Advanced" are much easier on the ears. That's all. Say what you feel like, I don't care. FlyFastNow, I'm sure you did excel, don't mind me, and I really do mean good luck in Primary - I was reading that and I know it sounded sarcastic, sorry.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I think we're in agreement that there are 4-8 women (no more than 2 rooms) in a class?

ok, good.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to highlyrandom again."

In all seriousness, class act.

Status
Not open for further replies.