• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Woman + Subs

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
Factual data of how many women would have or would join the submarine force if given the opportunity.
Well, now that the announcement is official they're interviewing 21 females and taking 18. And I know of one female who REALLY wants sub nuke who passed her swo nuke interview but was denied a new interview for subs, and IMO she would make a stellar sub candidate.

m26

Contributor
Especially among the officers, I would wonder how many women actually want to serve on subs as opposed to other ships vice how many want to be "the first female" (officer on sub, DH, XO, CO, etc).

I know it sounds cynical, but if there's a rush of applications now I'm not sure that will carry over once this become old news.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doubt that. Under that reasoning there would have been a huge decrease in women who want to be aviators since the risk rule was abolished. There are more and more women in aviation with every year now.

m26

Contributor
Is that analogous? That was a transition from "non-combat" duties to "combat" duties, whereas a switch from (say) DDGs to Subs is a less dramatic switch.

Plus, let's face it, everyone wants to be an aviator. :)

You're probably right, though. I just wonder about ways statistics can be corrupted.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
whereas a switch from (say) DDGs to Subs is a less dramatic switch
A would challenge you that it is. We're in a world very few want to enter and I think resembles in little to no ways our surface counterparts. We get no email on a regular basis, we see no sunshine, spend endless weeks on station trying to just not get caught wherever we are. We recirculate farts, and in a few short months won't be able to even smoke underway.

Hell, I remember briefing pulling into Virginia with the piloting party and we got into a pretty heated argument a day ahead of time about "dipping the ensign" because nobody knew off the top of their head what the protocol for it was. It's a different place, and right now for whatever reason its a world fewer and fewer men want to be a part of.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In terms of the nuke draft I think you'd see a good amount of interest from women. My senior year when they held off some of the service selections for SWO to "encourage" some people to go nuke, my roommates and I all agreed that, if given the choice, we would have picked subs over SWO nuke. Basically all I learned from my 2/c cruise was that gouging out your eyeballs would be less painful than being a nuke SWO.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
"I was really impressed by the enlisted crew. They all loved their jobs and wanted to teach you about them," said Midshipman 1st Class Laura Martindale, of Roselle, Ill. "It was a unique environment that we hadn't been exposed to before as women."
She should've spent more time on board. Our enlisted nukes have less than 20% retention.

phrogpilot73

She should've spent more time on board. Our enlisted nukes have less than 20% retention.
Loving your job has absolutely nothing to do with retention. You can love your job, but want to stop dealing with the bullshit. Case in point - I loved (and still love) flying. I got out. I'm a retention problem. So as a sailor starts talking about what he likes (his job), what he doesn't like (you, the navy, this boat) isn't going to be transmitted.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So after reading that article, I can see the SWO Nukes being interested in the sub route, but the aviator and marine selectees?

Edit: After re-reading, I realized one of the SWO Nuke selectees was one of my plebes. She's good people, and insanely smart. If she's any indication, it looks like they put some thought into who they picked.