• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Winging next month. Any suggestions on what to select?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
HSC - Hollywood: SOF, ASUW, PR; Actual: Ass and Trash, Starboard D
HSM - Hollywood: ASW, ASUW; Actual: SSC
HM - Hollywood: flying a monster helo; Actual: ground turns

I know it was the "Company Kool Aid Line" we heard at the briefs in HT Land at the Fleet Fly In, but it seemed things were slowly changing with the new capabilities the Sierra 3A and Romeo are bringing to the table, and the HSC CVN/HSM CVN setups. They're doing workups together and developing new tactics. In talking with a LCDR, today's possibilities are a far cry from what he had (HSL, HC, HM, HC), with specialty mission sets that barely touched each other.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
.... today's possibilities are a far cry from what he had (HSL, HC, HM, HC), with specialty mission sets that barely touched each other.

Capabilities on paper or practice? The H-60 community has become great at doing nothing truly "great".

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Capabilities on paper or practice? The H-60 community has become great at doing nothing truly "great".

I'm paraphrasing He said when he was selecting, options were:

HSL/60B: Newer, did ASW, SSC, Starboard D. Small boy Dets. LAMPS and all the good and bad that comes with.
HM/53s: Mine shit and big Ass n Trash. Dets to land.
HS/ F/H was coming online: ASW and Starboard D, CVN Life.
HC/ Old Phrogs: Vertrep vertrep vertrep, USNS Life

Everyone did their thing more or less independently. Today, the game changer is Link16 allowing the Helos to be up on the Link with the Hawkeye, Hornets, Growlers, etc. Whether this is BS or not, I'll tell you in 4 years. I'm more worried about my INAV check now.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I know it was the "Company Kool Aid Line" we heard at the briefs in HT Land at the Fleet Fly In, but it seemed things were slowly changing with the new capabilities the Sierra 3A and Romeo are bringing to the table, and the HSC CVN/HSM CVN setups. They're doing workups together and developing new tactics. In talking with a LCDR, today's possibilities are a far cry from what he had (HSL, HC, HM, HC), with specialty mission sets that barely touched each other.

Don't know what community that O-4 was from but HS and HSL has done coordinated ASW for decades.

Yes, there is some more commonality and with the HS & HC merger, we have more pilots involved in Naval Warfare and with HSM becoming part of the Airwing, but there doens't seem to more intergration between assets than there used to be.

HM is still operating on its own.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't know what community that O-4 was from but HS and HSL has done coordinated ASW for decades.

Yes, there is some more commonality and with the HS & HC merger, we have more pilots involved in Naval Warfare and with HSM becoming part of the Airwing, but there doens't seem to more intergration between assets than there used to be.

HM is still operating on its own.

Agreed. All that paraphrased info is VERY dated. LAMPS didn't used to do coordinated Ops with themselves and that's now part of the workup cycle and has been for at least 10 years.

Was this guy a "community expert" from staff? Ah, or maybe he was a reservist? You can't trust those guys.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, he was a reservist. And the paraphrased stuff was selection options from back in the day.

Regardless of what happens, I'm excited about the possibility of something more than The D.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, he was a reservist. And the paraphrased stuff was selection options from back in the day.

Regardless of what happens, I'm excited about the possibility of something more than The D.

So, what this guy from HSL-60? O-4 or O-5? Inquiring minds... You can PM me if you want.

S.O.B.

pilot
I think the negative for HM is the uncertain future. Positives: 1) you can fly 60s on shore duty 2) little to no boat time 3) extra $$ (especially 15) 4) very few non-flying community JO jobs

Pags

N/A
pilot
We carry SEALs.......though its local and for training :D
I think was his and my point. You may think it's all SOF all the time, but in reality your chances of flying an ACTUAL SOF mission are very limited as a fleet guy. You may train towards it, but very few first fleet tour JOs get to do actual stuff (HS-15 and their DA det being the exception that proves the rule).

S.O.B.

pilot
I think was his and my point. You may think it's all SOF all the time, but in reality your chances of flying an ACTUAL SOF mission are very limited as a fleet guy. You may train towards it, but very few first fleet tour JOs get to do actual stuff (HS-15 and their DA det being the exception that proves the rule).

They seem like farm teams for 84.