• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will we lose carrier and airwing

Jeff L

Folks at Lexington institute think it will happen by 2012. Their reasoning apparently reflects navy efforts to be proactive in the current budget process rather than wait for the hits. At a recent luncheon a close friend and classmate who retired as a 4 star last year indicated navy and air force were going to bear the brunt of big cuts in did so navy is trying to do it in a way that has least impact on ops hence use of Vinson recore. In my day we had 16 carriers and during my career as we drew down I sweated two RIFs. This may resurrect the internal debate for smaller cheaper carriers in more numbers. http://lexingtoninstitutu.org

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It makes perfect sense, until we need a CSG and there aren't any ready to surge.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
And I figured this was THE announcement...

How much of a possibility is there that smaller carriers will actually be brought into service to replace lost big decks? That idea, to me, has always seemed more expensive and less effective than just maintaining the status quo.

ghost

working, working, working ...
pilot
And I figured this was THE announcement...

How much of a possibility is there that smaller carriers will actually be brought into service to replace lost big decks? That idea, to me, has always seemed more expensive and less effective than just maintaining the status quo.

There are a couple of people making the argument that we should be using "CVL"s. They envision a ship displacing approximately 40,000 tons with and airwing consisting of 18-20 F-35B (V/STOL) and 4-6 helicopters. They believe that this combination (with non-organic tanking) has the same striking power as a larger CVN. I don't think they have thought though all the missions that the airwing is capable of and how to replicate them with so few aircraft. The other downside to this would be that they would have to design a new ship class from scratch and every example of that recently has gone horribly wrong and been way over budget (ex LCS, LPD-17, CGX, DDG-1000).

The reality is that we will be a 10 carrier force shortly when there is a gap between the Enterprise decommissioning and when the Ford commissions. The question becomes once we drop down to 10 carriers will we follow the plan and go back to 11. If all requirements are being met with 10 then there will be strong resistance to keeping the Nimitz when the Ford enters service.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I don't think they have thought though all the missions that the airwing is capable of and how to replicate them with so few aircraft. The other downside to this would be that they would have to design a new ship class from scratch and every example of that recently has gone horribly wrong and been way over budget (ex LCS, LPD-17, CGX, DDG-1000).

That is what I figured.

navyao

When I was on the enterprise in '01 it was set to decom in 2011. Is that still the case?

The Wi 09' Hook had an article that funding had been secured for Enterprise to continue to be a deployable schedule until fy 12 or 14, one or the other.

Amazing. I was in Enterprise from 89 - 91 and rode her into Newport News. All those years of overhaul and refueling the reactors and what not even 10 years later they want to retire her? I should no better than to ask that question.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The Wi 09' Hook had an article that funding had been secured for Enterprise to continue to be a deployable schedule until fy 12 or 14, one or the other.

Amazing. I was in Enterprise from 89 - 91 and rode her into Newport News. All those years of overhaul and refueling the reactors and what not even 10 years later they want to retire her? I should no better than to ask that question.

All sunk costs, man. The big E is a single class ship and is expensive as shit to maintain and deploy. It is like saying that you should keep your super bohemouth gas guzzler because you just put a bunch of money into repairing it even though you can't make your rent next month.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
All sunk costs, man. The big E is a single class ship and is expensive as shit to maintain and deploy. It is like saying that you should keep your super bohemouth gas guzzler because you just put a bunch of money into repairing it even though you can't make your rent next month.
Sunk Cost Fallacy