• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Will I be granted a medical waiver?

bballplayer1174

I'm trying to join the Marine Corps as a pilot and was wondering what the odds are of being granted a medical waiver. I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder/social phobia three years ago and went to a psychiatrist for two years and was on the medication Zoloft. I've been off the medication for a year now (with the Dr.s permission) and haven't seen the psychiatrist since then. Do you think I will be granted a waiver? If I don't mention anything about it what are the odds of them finding out?

Air Squire

Live Free or Die
I don't know about the waiver.

I definitely wouldn't lie about it 2 years of therepy. And yes, OMITTING it would be as good as lying about it. :icon_tong

oh, and..........

"Have you ever taken any illegal substances?"__________________________YES_[ ]_NO_[X]_

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
As I am sure many will say.....you won't get a waiver unless you ask. In very general terms, IF you are one year post medication and symptom free, you could qualify for a waiver. I suggest you get that psychiatrist to write a letter for you stating that you are med free and symptom free.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Psychiatry.pdf

The odds are against anyone finding out, but, don't fib on the form...it speaks of your character.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
"I want to be a Marine Corps officer which is partly defined by honesty, integrity and honor......oh by the way, I'm going to directly lie/omit information to questions on my application for the aforementioned endeavor"

kinda clarifies the situation when you talk it out, no?

And if you had social phobia/anxiety issues, I'd give a LOT of thought as to how you'll respond/adapt to having 4 gunnies in your face yelling....

Cabbage

None
Aside from the waiver, you may have problems getting a security clearance. If you require a TS clearance for your job, the investigators will review your medical records for any psychological issues.