• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wild commissioning question from too much coffee, and no sleep...

chefmike

A previous thread on why college was needed made me think, and I came up with 2 questions.
1.Who, say after WWII would be the youngest person to become a commissioned officer on record?
2.a) Does anyone know if say a Whiz kid graduated a 4 year University at say 18, would he/she be eligible for a commission if they wanted to serve their country?
b.) at 17 if the parents signed, like the enlisted?.

Just thinking and a little insomnia setting in....

magnetfreezer

2 - Going through AFROTC summer training, there was a girl in the class ahead of me who IIRC was 16. The earliest you could contract with the program (basically enlisting as E-1 into the inactive reserves as a bookkeeping method/enabling them to recall you to active duty to repay the scholarship if you failed to grad/commission) was 17 because of the parental consent enlistment requirements which would have occurred the fall (2nd class year) after the training. She already had her bachelors and was to contract/commission as soon as her masters was complete. Certainly academically advanced but it must have been awkward having her O-3 promotion party and being able to legally drink for the first time.

chefmike

Wow, when she walked into the room, did the lights dim from the giga brain drain on the power grids!!!!!!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
eh...commissioned or not, that girl would be missing some serious life skills. There is a big difference between 17 and 22. Girl that smart was probably heading for some think tank anyway, not 1st LT on DDG ANYHERO

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I thought I remembered something about 19 being the absolute minimum for a commisioned officer; note from Dad or not. I guess the 16 year old whiz-kid proves me wrong.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I thought I remembered something about 19 being the absolute minimum for a commisioned officer; note from Dad or not. I guess the 16 year old whiz-kid proves me wrong.

Without actually doing the work to look it up, I am almost positive 19 is the minimum... at least for OCS accessions (don't know how different sources would be different though). Either way, a 23 year old LT would be pretty odd.

I do recall something about a dude flying T-45s at 19 (as in, had commissioned, completed API and primary before he turned 20 after commissioning at 19). Don't know if the timeline on that would work, but heard the rumor.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I do recall something about a dude flying T-45s at 19 (as in, had commissioned, completed API and primary before he turned 20 after commissioning at 19). Don't know if the timeline on that would work, but heard the rumor.

One of the guys in my class started the syllabus here last year as a 20 year old. He is now 21 though, with soft wings. His boat callsign was Pampers. He was homeschooled and took college credits before actually starting college, so I think he was only an undergrad for 2-3 years (after having finished high school at 16)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
One of the guys in my class started the syllabus here last year as a 20 year old. He is now 21 though, with soft wings. His boat callsign was Pampers. He was homeschooled and took college credits before actually starting college, so I think he was only an undergrad for 2-3 years (after having finished high school at 16)

Could be it, but I think I heard the story when I was in primary... regardless, I'm sure there is an odd guy now and again who starts out that young. I remember at a SSD, I was the last guy standing when the commodore had us all sit down by birthday years, then months. I was the youngest at the time, but certainly not 20. I wish I'd taken longer in college... 20 is too young to be stressing buckets in flight school. But then, after most of the hard work is done, it'll be nice to be a 25 year old LT HAC.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It's weird to hear the opposite side of the spectrum. Most of the pilots in my OCS class are 25+, one almost missed the age cutoff if she would've rolled, and we all feel a bit long in the tooth here. It's feels "different" to be older, but less ranked, than your instructors.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's weird to hear the opposite side of the spectrum. Most of the pilots in my OCS class are 25+, one almost missed the age cutoff if she would've rolled, and we all feel a bit long in the tooth here. It's feels "different" to be older, but less ranked, than your instructors.

Something that seems to be quite common in the military. Old guys outranked by younger guys, both officer and enlisted. Even some O-4s younger or the same age as prior O-1/2s.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
When I commission next year, my birthday is June 1 (about a month after commissioning). I'll turn 31. I'd like to bet (aside for NFO to Pilot selectees), that once I actually start API as an NFO, that I'll be the oldest in a while.; considering the almost 1 year wait.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Back when the Navy had the Aviation Cadet (NAVCAD) program, you could do two years of college then go through OCS then to flight school.
During flight school their rank was "Cadet". When one of them got winged, they got commissioned Ensign in a ceremony just prior to the winging ceremony.
If you happen to finish HS at 17, you could be in OCS by 19 and wearing wings by 21.
With this program you had to finish up your Bachelors degree by the time you finished your first shore tour. If you wanted to, you could have the Navy send you to a ROTC unit for two years to finish up your degree in-lieu of a shore tour. You would be a full time student but getting paid as a LTJG.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I commission next year, my birthday is June 1 (about a month after commissioning). I'll turn 31. I'd like to bet (aside for NFO to Pilot selectees), that once I actually start API as an NFO, that I'll be the oldest in a while.; considering the almost 1 year wait.

There are probably a lot more older guys than you think. I know quite a few priors from the VT's who are in their early 30's, though I guess most probably started API at 30 vice 31.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
There are probably a lot more older guys than you think. I know quite a few priors from the VT's who are in their early 30's, though I guess most probably started API at 30 vice 31.

oh, I agree. I was simply stating that I will probably be the oldest. (i.e. closest to MAX age limit). So, 3 weeks shy of max age limit plus almost a year wait (forecasted) would put me almost to 32 when I class up for API.
)