• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyguy4723

So I've talked with a few people over on airline pilot forums as well as some other forums. They all say to avoid ad navy at all costs and only go into the guard or reserves. I would like to hear the other side and see what you current naval aviators have to say about this. What do you guys like about the navy and dislike about the guard that made you choose navy?

Thanks

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
The Guard doesn't land jets on boats.

Now brace yourself for a dogpile of "use the search function!" responses, and possibly a repost of an old letter if someone is feeling charitable.

Python

pilot
Contributor
So I've talked with a few people over on airline pilot forums as well as some other forums. They all say to avoid ad navy at all costs and only go into the guard or reserves. I would like to hear the other side and see what you current naval aviators have to say about this. What do you guys like about the navy and dislike about the guard that made you choose navy?

Thanks

Why are they saying that? Also, Armada's answer was pretty good...don't blow it off so easily.

flyguy4723

Why are they saying that? Also, Armada's answer was pretty good...don't blow it off so easily.

They are saying the guard is less commitment, more flying, you know you aircraft, less desk work. Also, I didn't disregard his answer, I understand that landing on ships is awesome and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, but that's not much of a reason especially you don't know you'll be assigned fighters and only the top 15% of the class gets them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are saying the guard is less commitment, more flying, you know you aircraft, less desk work. Also, I didn't disregard his answer, I understand that landing on ships is awesome and it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, but that's not much of a reason especially you don't know you'll be assigned fighters and only the top 15% of the class gets them.
You also don't know if a Guard fighter unit even wants to hire you. If it's "not much of a reason" to be a tailhooker, well . . . have fun in Enid. There's plenty of other people who are willing to put their hat in the ring without a guarantee of jets up front. More than enough. So Big Navy ain't gonna cater to you.

Also, if you don't get jet grades in Navy land, you still have a career. Don't make the cut in AF land when you're sponsored by a Guard fighter unit? Have a nice life. They call it "the service" for a reason. Hint, hint . . .

Last edited:

Python

pilot
Contributor
That's right. A guard unit has to want to hire you, and that's not that easy. The majority of their pilots come from active duty backgrounds and have the experience they desire.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Air Guard units also tend to select and promote from within (i.e., their enlisted guys) or pick up trained guys off the active side. It's not like to you walk into an ANG unit off the street and they sign you up to be a fighter pilot. It's a good deal if you can get it, but.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Thanks

Seriously, guys have been patient with you, but every time you post, you're asking something that's very easily found via the Google Machine and on this site. We have stickies for a reason.

but that's not much of a reason especially you don't know you'll be assigned fighters

"Fighters" aren't the only ones that land on boats. Regardless of the platform, knowing the only place you have to land is the place that provides a challenge to get there is a special experience. Not necessarily THE experience to make a decision, but it's what we do in our profession.

...except for @webmaster . He just clobbers the runway for everyone else trying to complete the mission.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Air Guard units also tend to select and promote from within (i.e., their enlisted guys) or pick up trained guys off the active side. It's not like to you walk into an ANG unit off the street and they sign you up to be a fighter pilot. It's a good deal if you can get it, but.

I actually know a few folks that have done just that but they are in a very small minority and every single one of them 'knew' someone important enough in the unit or in the state to get them a slot. But yeah, the vast majority are known quantities from the unit/state or from active duty.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...except for @webmaster. He just clobbers the runway for everyone else trying to complete the mission.
They should have tallied up the price to install the retractable arresting gear engines in Whidbey, and sent every P-3 aircrew stationed there their fraction of the bill. :D

flyguy4723

I actually know a few folks that have done just that but they are in a very small minority and every single one of them 'knew' someone important enough in the unit or in the state to get them a slot. But yeah, the vast majority are known quantities from the unit/state or from active duty.

Ok thanks. That clarifies a lot. Everybody over on APC makes it seam like a walk in the park to pick up a guard spot. I will trust you guys over them seeing that most of them aren't military pilots and a lot of you guys have been through the ropes.

Status
Not open for further replies.