• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHY KEEP USING SSNs

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I thought was going to be about submarines.

Same.

More on topic though, the Naval Academy has been using "Alpha Codes" for as long as anyone seems to be able to remember. Our emails are M (presumable for "midshipman")+(last two digits of class year)+(4 Random Numbers)... I would think the DoD could use a similar system where they do NAO (Naval Officer) +(Year of Entrance) + (Random Numbers) and differentiated by service, so like AFO for Air Force Officer, ARE for Army Enlisted, and so on and so forth. We memorize our Alpha Codes a million times during plebe summer, so it's embedded in you from the get go and I imagine that any other indoctrination program could find a way to incoporate it as well.

Just my .02.

blackbart22

pilot
During my association with the Navy I had four different serial numbers. NROTC (c + six digets) Whitehat/NAVCAD (seven digits) Commisioned (same as middie without the C) and the SSN. Some of my records exist only under one of them. Lots of important stuff somehow doesn't get carried forward.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Ok, he might be right, maybe.

Because of how available our SSNs are everyone should keep up to date on their current credit situation. I had my wallet stolen in New Orleans about a year ago, don't worry, they didn't get my mil ID. But I signed up for a program on USAA where they charge me five bucks a month and I can get my Experain credit report as many times as I want. You can get all three I think for like 25 bucks a month. I figure (or I hope) just one should be enough. But with our SSNs out there it is a good idea to keep tabs on our credit to make sure nothing funny is going on.

It's also a lot of fun to watch as my credit score gets higher, they even give you a little graph.

Redux

The more things change....:)

They usta do that, went to SSN's in early 70's.IIRC.

Hehehehe, some things you NEVER forget. B22-65-8X, it's even on my original seabag. ;) I was GLAD at that time that they went to the SSN, funny thing is in my old jacket has the COMPLETE squadron muster sheet with everybody's full name and SSN.

Flugelman

Contributor
Hehehehe, some things you NEVER forget. B22-65-8X, it's even on my original seabag. ;) I was GLAD at that time that they went to the SSN, funny thing is in my old jacket has the COMPLETE squadron muster sheet with everybody's full name and SSN.

Yep, still remember mine. Use it as password in several instances, one I will NEVER forget... :)

Huggy Bear

pilot
I agree, and I always hated the cavalier attitude toward SSNs while I was in. They teach you at SERE school name, rank and serial number. Then they demonstrate how much personal info can be gathered and used against you off of just that info. The SSN started out as simply a tax identification number, nothing more. The only people who should know it are your employer, your bank and the IRS.

I thought the Navy was already moving away from it. When I got my last ID in '07 there was no SSN on it. Also, I thought it was Navy wide that SSNs would no longer be placed on documents that could be read outside of the command. Or, at least just the last 4 could be used.

BigRed389

None
I agree that I always hated the cavalier attitude toward SSNs while I was in. They teach you at SERE school name, rank and serial number. Then they demonstrate how much personal info can be gathered and used against you off of just that info. The SSN started out as simply a tax identification number, nothing more. The only people who should know it are your employer, your bank and the IRS.

I thought the Navy was already moving away from it. When I got my last ID in '07 there was no SSN on it. Also, I thought it was Navy wide that SSNs would no longer be placed on documents that could be read outside of the command. Or, at least just the last 4 could be used.

It is policy, just nobody seems to care. On my ship, any E-5 and up has access to even the CO's SSN.

Legal officer school was the only place I've been where they made a big deal about enforcing it (no surprise there).

HuggyU2

None
usmc_stud;492740... Every time I fill out an "official" document I write my full SSN on it. [/quote said:
Well, don't do that before you look at the Disclosure Statement. Most say it is "voluntary". Now, there is bureaucratic pain to be had in many cases if you don't give it out. But stick to your guns.
I went to my PT test, and they needed it to record my scores. I wouldn't give it out. Created a shit storm as you can imagine. I told them to find another way to record it, 'cause I wasn't giving it to them.
Some Disclosure Statements require it, though.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Ok, he might be right, maybe.

I wasn't trying to underestimate how ridiculously convoluted and complex those systems are, all I was saying is that if they weren't coded all half-assed, theoretically a transition could be relatively painless. Theoretically.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Bet I'm the only guy here who is old to have & remember his old Navy Officer File Number (699-985). ...
Got one in 1965 ... can't remember the number, it's probably buried in my huge "misc" file in the I LOVE ME ROOM ...

I try not to remember too much ... always "dump" whatever I don't need. :)

usmc_stud

pilot
The overarching theme I am reading here is that it would be hard to do. A lot of code would have to be rewritten. But I think the real problem is one of priorities.

The DOD realizes that is must pay lip service to the problem, which is why everyone has to take those PII courses, but no one has made it a big enough priority to actually do something substantial. The initiative to take the SSN off the CAC card is a step in the right direction, but that seems like a no brainer, one that would be as simple as deleting a line from the CAC card template.

I am going to continue to be careful about disclosing my SSN and checking my credit report (annualcreditreport.com) but I think adopting the "service number" again would be a relatively easy way for the DOD to show that it genuinely cares about the personal privacy of its members.

MrSaturn

Contributor
The overarching theme I am reading here is that it would be hard to do. A lot of code would have to be rewritten.

Doesn't the CAC card already offer adequate encryption and scalability that can be used to authenticate personnel?

Ive seen it used for tracking just about everything; chow lines, computer access, building access, lecture attendance, gear issue and etc.

Clux4

Banned
I was looking for some gear in an old box from TBS and I found a roster with the names and SSN's for my TBS platoon. If I remember correctly,I was a Platoon Sgt. for one of the FEX and needed to make manifest for our helo ride.The sad part is that some old Lt's hard drive still has our SSN on them.

DOD needs a big culture change.