• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why Helo Dunker training is good....

macattack

Brett327 said:
AOA? WTF are you talking about?

Brett

Well, I've noticed helos typically dip their noses forward upon taking off...didn't know the term for that so figured that "angle of attack" was the closest way to describe it.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We push the rotor disc forward to gain forward airspeed. Through a whole bunch of complicated aerodynamics of rotorheads, the nose of the aircraft will "dip" which allows the helicopter to go forward. AOA is used described aerodynamics of airfoils (wings and rotors).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Pags said:
yeah, looks like he started drooping turns and had to ditch it. Why in god's name he tried to fly it out I have no clue. kinda reminds me of my SAR sim.

To save the aircraft, of course. Not every government takes an enlightened view of the value of your life versus the value of your aircraft, and corporations even less so. Obviously, the aircraft was under control when he landed, so he just messed up what could have been a relatively easy egress. If he'd gotten it back up, though, he would have been the hero that day. Might've thought about having the crew egress before attempting that manuever.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
That would have made the helo lighter for attempted takeoff... might have made a difference.

Pags

N/A
pilot
phrogdriver said:
To save the aircraft, of course. Not every government takes an enlightened view of the value of your life versus the value of your aircraft, and corporations even less so. Obviously, the aircraft was under control when he landed, so he just messed up what could have been a relatively easy egress. If he'd gotten it back up, though, he would have been the hero that day. Might've thought about having the crew egress before attempting that manuever.

very true. gotta wonder how much other countries train to CRM and ORM.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
When I saw the video on the news the other night they said it occurred during a joint training exercise btwn the Russians and the Japanese. I took that to mean that he was demoing something and an accident happened. But I could be wrong, I've been traveling and haven't read anything the last day or 2.

macattack

I originally saw this video on Baseops a few days ago, someone said that he purposefully landed in the water as well as a training exercise.

dnweinreb

Super DUPER Hornets!
None
The important thing to remember about dunker training is not only that up becomes down and left becomes right, but also that black becomes white, Bugs Bunny chases Elmer Fudd, and hamburgers eat people. It's wacky. :)

I had a guy climb OVER me from the number 1 seat to get out the number 2 window and we both made it out alive. Just remember to count one-potato, two-potato or else you'll get my boot in your face next time.

saltpeter

And remember, the dunker is only under a foot or two of water. So don't panic. But I agree upside down and finding a single exit while wearing black painted swimming googles takes a little prior planning.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
saltpeter said:
And remember, the dunker is only under a foot or two of water. So don't panic. But I agree upside down and finding a single exit while wearing black painted swimming googles takes a little prior planning.

The biggest part is not to panic and to know where the exits are before you go under...

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Hate to Monday morning quarterback, but I wonder why he didn't try to water taxi to shore if he was concerned about saving the aircraft?

Pags

N/A
pilot
There's no secret to the helo dunker....all the hype is just that: hype. like anything else in flight school and beyond, be it the chip trail run, the nav test, c4390, the RI check, or SERE; the real evolution is nowhere near as bad as the hype would make it out to be.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're confident in the water, it will make all the difference. You are not underwater for a long time.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
dnweinreb said:
The important thing to remember about dunker training is not only that up becomes down and left becomes right, but also that black becomes white, Bugs Bunny chases Elmer Fudd, and hamburgers eat people. It's wacky. :)

I had a guy climb OVER me from the number 1 seat to get out the number 2 window and we both made it out alive. Just remember to count one-potato, two-potato or else you'll get my boot in your face next time.

I like your brief analysis of the helo dunker Dave. I feel much better now :D I just hope the Big Mac doesnt eat me before I exit the dunker. BTW, I finally class up this Friday. How about them apples? Just shy of 9 months.