• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why does the Marine Corps have its own "Air Force"?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brand new JTACs need good, professional CAS (and FAC(A)) from experienced crews that know what they are doing. You don't want some dumbas brand new JTAC F-ing up the 9 line and forgetting to deconflict his 155mm suppression to a dumbass CAS solo RAG student who doesn't realize he's about to get into a very dangerous situation. Don't forget the negative training for both as they proceed to F-it up. It's a pain in the ass for the fleet to support EWTGLANT and PAC, but it beats having F'd up JTACS where it counts, and I know the schools appreciate having experienced aircrew overhead to help teach the JTACs/ FACs.

JTAC training also occurs at Fallon and takes advantage of having both visiting Air Wings and resident aircraft and aircrews experienced enough to work with students.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
This is a bad idea. Sounds good, but in reality .......not so much. It's not so much a risk/danger issue as it is a quality training issue and a lessened ability to get the X on both sides. FACs need controls to get qualified/ current. Aborts only count so much. Pilots need quality 9-lines and enough runs/drops to complete the sortie. This scenario sounds like a 1.5 that gets 2 controls at best, and at least 1 will be an abort or otherwise AFU. At least one side of the equation needs to be competant.

This would be like having SNAs and SNFOs flying together to double up the Xs. The blind leading the blind.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
You don't want some dumbas brand new JTAC F-ing up the 9 line and forgetting to deconflict his 155mm suppression to a dumbass CAS solo RAG student who doesn't realize he's about to get into a very dangerous situation.

The example in the article was CAS only, no combined arms. That was actually one of the negatives. But, I see what you are saying about negative training for both when it gets screwed up.

Balls77

To whom can I attribute this quote...Marines hate it.

Navy pilots have for years giggled over a quote that no Marine pilot cares for much. It's loosely attributed to Gorbachev but I've never been able to nail it down. Does anyone know who said it and the exact text?

"I understand why your Navy has an air force and I understand why your Navy has an army. But what I don't understand is why your Navy's army has an air force."

Anyone?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty much gets trumped by answer to question posed to troops who have been supported by all three "Air Forces" as to how they rank their relative effectiveness and desirability to provide Close Air Support.

slug

Pretty much gets trumped by answer to question posed to troops who have been supported by all three "Air Forces" as to how they rank their relative effectiveness and desirability to provide Close Air Support.

Pretty sure that if you ask any Soldier who provides the best CAS support, they will say Army Aviation, and if you ask any Marine the same question, they will answer Marine Aviation. You get the best results from units with which you have a habitiual working relationship.

Brings up a good question, though. What is the difference between a Navy and a Marine F/A-18 and why do we need both? The Air Force doesn't allow the Army to have A-10s, so why aren't the Marines limited to helos and jump jets?

phrogpilot73

Pretty sure that if you ask any Soldier who provides the best CAS support, they will say what's CAS?!?, and if you ask any Marine the same question, they will answer Marine Aviation. You get the best results from units with which you have a habitiual working relationship.

Brings up a good question, though. What is the difference between a Navy and a Marine F/A-18 and why do we need both? The Air Force doesn't allow the army to have A-10s, so why aren't the marines limited to helos and jump jets?
Fixed it for you. The Army doesn't really do a whole lot of play with CAS.

As for the difference between the two? Mindset and focus of training.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
What is the difference between an Army humvee and a Marine humvee? It's a machine, not a trinket to be hoarded and guarded.

slug

Fixed it for you. The Army doesn't really do a whole lot of play with CAS.

As for the difference between the two? Mindset and focus of training.

So, Marines do CAS but the Army doesn't? Um, since you were probably never in the Army, have you ever seen We Were Soldiers or Blackhawk Down? I remember a little CAS being called in by those Soldiers.

The question still stands, why can't the Navy provide CAS support for Marines with their F/A-18s?