• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why did the helo crash in Iraq (31 MC dead)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamacat

Surely the most dangerous aviator slot is to fly a helicopter in a combat zone. Like many others, I am sick about the helicopter crash in Iraq which resulted in 31 Marine Corps deaths. On ABC News, they said something about a sandstorm causing it; about about how the pilot may have been trying to rise above the turbulance.

What can you tell me about the cause of the crash? Was it pilot error? (If so, YOU GUYS BE MORE CAREFUL!!!) If it was caused by a sandstorm, why wouldn't the pilot wait until the wind died down to take off??

Was the helo shot down?

I am an SNA Mom; so every crash is a nightmare.

Mamacat

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let's not speculate on something this tragic. Any information on what actually happened is still considered sensitive and shouldn't be posted in a public forum (yet). A thread like this will inevitably lead to (a) second guessing and (b) ignorant comments from wannabees (not referring to either of the first two posters). Eventually the safety report will be released. Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.