• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are you Leaving?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
If I read that last paragraph correctly, if you elect to "continue," you could be assigned anywhere? So you could be a Hornet dude who has not selected for MAJ (twice), elect to continue, and then find yourself NOT flying Hornets for the 36 months that you're on the hook for? Or did I miss something that says that the 36 months are intended to be spent flying - since, you know, the whole reason for this was:

"Company grade aviator inventory levels are at such a level that continuation on active duty of those Captain aviators who have twice failed selection to the rank of Major is necessary..."

This is sort of game that a five year old plays with his parents.

Mommy, if you don't tell me I have to go to school by the time the bus gets here then I don't have to!

What a bunch of scam artists.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Oh yeah, better decline by the end of the month or you incur a three year obligation. That's also probably not legal....

Yeah, I am not sure how that passes the smell test either. I would hope that word gets around to everyone 'eligible' to log in and make their choice before it is made for them. I wonder how long it is until the Navy tries funny stuff like this to meet manning.

Last edited:

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Is there any super high level leadership that browses this site and sees these posts? Because they should...

We had a to be unnamed high level leader come and talk to us about not leaving. I knew he was out of touch when he said, "wait, you guys do want to fly more?"

The Marine Corps isn't about putting proficient aircrew in capable aircraft. It's about ground jobs, CGRIs, standing duty, "doing more with less" (yeah right), yut yut oorah and a bunch of other bullshit.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
We had a to be unnamed high level leader come and talk to us about not leaving. I knew he was out of touch when he said, "wait, you guys do want to fly more?"

The Marine Corps isn't about putting proficient aircrew in capable aircraft. It's about ground jobs, CGRIs, standing duty, "doing more with less" (yeah right), yut yut oorah and a bunch of other bullshit.

Is his job synonymous with a particular mission of counter air, that is primarily defensive?

We had someone do the same. We were told, "Remember why you signed up to be Marines. We work harder than everyone else."

And you're completely correct. Fitness Reports are all about ground accomplishments now. I heard a Dept Head tell two brand new guys in my old squadron, "I want you to feel and understand the pain of being a staff officer."

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Is his job synonymous with a particular mission of counter air, that is primarily defensive?

Oh, you mean the same guy who flipped his shit that Marines were flying Rhinos in test squadrons and tried to convince those squadrons to fly Marines in A-D Hornets only (spoiler alert, there weren't enough Hornets to keep them current to do their job... which apparently doesn't matter to the USMC).

Because if Marine pilots are flying Rhinos, they might have a good idea...

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Is there any super high level leadership that browses this site and sees these posts? Because they should...

http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...tors-upset-low-promotion-rates-navy/71650484/

^ that came from this:

Navy Announces Layoff of 207 Experienced Pilots and Flight Officers
MILLINGTON, TN.

On Tuesday, the Navy decided to prematurely terminate the careers of 207 experienced Naval Aviators and Naval Flight Officers, most of whom were more than halfway towards retirement. Many of the pilots who were terminated had amassed nearly 2,500 flight hours each and were EP sailors during their shore and multiple sea tours.

It is estimated that it cost the Navy in excess of $300 million to educate and train these aviators, an investment of taxpayer money that will be forever lost once those officers are involuntarily separated in April 2016.

Officials at Millington struggled to explain why officers with exemplary careers are being shown the door. In fact, Millington struggled to do anything at all as the BUPERS website malfunctioned throughout the day yesterday; and as of the time of this article, an official message had still yet to appear on the BUPERS website or Outlook message traffic nearly 24 hours later. Most had to be informed of the news via social media and through an increasingly popular and pertinent web forum, Airwarriors.com.

Cold Shoulder
Command triads are privy to the information 24 hours in advance for the express purpose of notifying service members who will be separated as a result of the narrow-sighted "Up or Out" policy which has wreaked havoc on the officer ranks ever since DOPMA was signed into law by President Jimmy Carter on December 12, 1980.

Despite the advance access to this information, a majority of affected officers surveyed stated that they still have not been personally notified by their respective Commanding or Executive Officers. In fact, many stated that their Department Heads and HODs were "completely clueless" about what had transpired on Tuesday. Worse yet, many were completely unaware that the firings effectively slashed disassociated sea tour manning by more than 60%, as many of the affected officers will be separated nearly a year before the completion of the current sea tour orders to which they are assigned.

One officer who was interviewed simply stated: "In my 14 years in the Navy, I have never seen a bigger failure of leadership as what I saw yesterday. I lost my job yesterday- after 3 deployments, one of which was on the ground in Iraq near Nasiriyah, I was fired and nobody told me why. Not a single person in my chain of command had the moral courage to call me into their office, look me in the eye and tell me face-to-face that I had lost my job. My CO sent out an email the next day congratulating those who had made it, but still hasn't personally informed those who didn't for a second time. I have a wife, a four year old and a child on the way, mortgage note to pay and I have to start my terminal leave in just four months. Now what am I supposed to do? I was an EP sailor in both my sea and shore tours, an instructor pilot, took disassociated orders to a deployed carrier- but still that wasn't good enough to make O-4? What happened to all the promises that were made in the wake of last year's board? I just don't get it."

Trouble on the Horizon?
If it wasn't troubling enough that 60% of disassociated sea billets are about to go vacant in just four months time, an even more deeply disturbing trend was uncovered while conducting an informal survey among those recently selected.

The selection board failed to take into account that many of the names on the promotion list already notified Millington prior to the selection board that they intended to leave active duty and enter the reserves, taking dozens of spots away from those who intended to stay active and take department head billets in operational squadrons.

Even dozens more of those selected for promotion have no intention of serving at all- either active or reserve. "Three people in my office alone made the list but are already planning on getting out," said one Lieutenant on condition of anonymity.

Flying in the face of promises of massive overhaul and change after the shocking results of last year's board, the Navy only chose to promote 80% of it's junior officers despite having the authority to promote up to 90% across all communities. Most of those spots again went to the Surface Warfare and Submarine communities.

With the number of separations, lateral transfers, FTS selectees and officers planning to resign, it remains unclear if Naval Aviation will be able to keep crucial billets manned. What will Millington do when (not if) 25% of those selected for active duty promotion leave for the Reserves or civillian sector? Will Millington be so confident in their course of action when they loose another 50 or so officers that they thought would be sticking around for Department Head orders? Maybe not.

***not an actual article but probably should be- Maxillarious

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
With the USMC "continuation" plan, if you accept, are you still eligible to select O-4 at a later date, or are you out of the running completely as a 2xFOS?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

We had someone do the same. We were told, "Remember why you signed up to be Marines. We work harder than everyone else."

And you're completely correct. Fitness Reports are all about ground accomplishments now. I heard a Dept Head tell two brand new guys in my old squadron, "I want you to feel and understand the pain of being a staff officer."

No, someone else. I've had others tell me that they've heard some head scratchers as well.

I have no problem working hard. I'm working 12 OR MORE hours every day excluding a lunch break, even on non-flying days. This is also time spent working, not dicking around like some other people seemed to think JOs do in another thread. I also don't remember the last weekend or holiday I didn't work where I wasn't on leave and physically unable to go into work. The problem for me is that none of this time is spent studying or getting better at briefing, debriefing, or execution. It's doing ground jobs that wouldn't even qualify as background experience for a job handing out basketballs at a YMCA.

Last edited:

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
With the USMC "continuation" plan, if you accept, are you still eligible to select O-4 at a later date, or are you out of the running completely as a 2xFOS?

Honestly, your chances of promotion after 1 pass is so minuscule it isn't even worth mentioning. But it's my understanding from MMOA that you would technically be "eligible" for promotion after accepting continuation.

That being said I'd bet a paycheck that nobody who gets continued promotes to O4.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Honestly, your chances of promotion after 1 pass is so minuscule it isn't even worth mentioning. But it's my understanding from MMOA that you would technically be "eligible" for promotion after accepting continuation.

That being said I'd bet a paycheck that nobody who gets continued promotes to O4.

I'll take that bet - very good chance for O-4 in SelRes.