• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are you Leaving?

hscs

pilot
I agree, presence is great, when you can afford it. The question is whether presence matters more than the material condition of your platform or the readiness of your fleet.
Agreed - - somewhere in the thinking of every GCC is the notion that a a CSG = presence, yet a high profile sailing such as publicized FON ops or publicized, simultaneous port calls of a couple SSGNs in Westpac achieves similar objectives.

Firepower has changed significantly with the advent of TLAMs and PGMs - what was done to Libya in '86 by 3 x CVBGs, 18 x F111s, and 4 x EF111s could theoretically be done by 1 x DDG with TLAMs.

You don't need a CSG for everything - Action Officers - write that down.

Last edited:

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
You don't need a CSG for everything - Action Officers - write that down.

Look, this sentence is like hand grenade which is wallowing on the street - if a person who'll find it is former or active military or policeman all would be good, but if it'll be child or politician, it will become extremely dangerous, and Navy will be ordered: name the situations when and where we cannot cope without CSG. Would that be so easy? A port calls of submarines, btw, have no effect to the flag demonstration equal to the surface ship or carrier, as people who should be deterred have no devastating potential in plain vision (like turrets, launchers, aircraft on the deck) and only a few of them can imagine what submarine is all about.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Has anyone else heard rumors of DHs dropping their letters? If one's bonus expired in September '18 and had a PRD from a DH tour of January '18, could that person drop a letter or would they be forced to take post-DH orders? I'm pondering the economics-gut it out for the retirement, or roll the dice and jump on the airline gravy train when I'm at my most marketable for that industry?

Farva01

BKR
pilot
Has anyone else heard rumors of DHs dropping their letters? If one's bonus expired in September '18 and had a PRD from a DH tour of January '18, could that person drop a letter or would they be forced to take post-DH orders? I'm pondering the economics-gut it out for the retirement, or roll the dice and jump on the airline gravy train when I'm at my most marketable for that industry?
No rumors. I know two VFA guys personally that jumped out after DH. Ironically neither of them went to the airlines.
Running the numbers for jumping to the airlines after DH it is pretty much a wash, but depending on upgrade and wide body timing, it could be more profitable.
The other advantage is you are still in the window for a flying reserve job.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

I've heard the rumors- it's been the subject of some RR discussions among those of us headed to DH soon. With the airline hiring boom and the ongoing shell game of jets, maintainers, and flight hour budgets, it's hardly surprising guys are punching after DH. Timing is everything though- now seems to be the ideal time. Honest question: What will the hiring/seniority picture look like in 2, 3, or 5 years? The common thought among guys staying in for a bit is that it won't be so rosy if one isn't getting out in the next year or two.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I've heard the rumors- it's been the subject of some RR discussions among those of us headed to DH soon. With the airline hiring boom and the ongoing shell game of jets, maintainers, and flight hour budgets, it's hardly surprising guys are punching after DH. Timing is everything though- now seems to be the ideal time. Honest question: What will the hiring/seniority picture look like in 2, 3, or 5 years?

2 years, still the front side of the hiring wave, with retirements increasing yearly. 5 years the number of retirements approaches peak for about a period of 5 more years before starting to taper off again (note: as the airlines blow through their applicant stack older folks will continue to be called to the show, creating a secondary peak in retirements about 15-20 years from now as the 45-50 year olds recently picked up retire).

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
2 years, still the front side of the hiring wave, with retirements increasing yearly. 5 years the number of retirements approaches peak for about a period of 5 more years before starting to taper off again (note: as the airlines blow through their applicant stack older folks will continue to be called to the show, creating a secondary peak in retirements about 15-20 years from now as the 45-50 year olds recently picked up retire).
Secondary peak is even closer (~2023-2025) at some airlines due to flows. Though AA is kind of an outlier since we haven't had nearly as many hired off the street new hires in comparison the the other majors due to the flow through and recalls.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Anyone care to weigh in on my timing question? If DH bonus expires in Sep'18 and I have a PRD of Jan'18, do I have to take orders after DH?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

When you ponder the economics, do take a few minutes and consider the reserve retirement if you have not already. If you have 12+ years active duty, you could be looking at a very healthy pension in conjunction with your airline job (although you have to wait until age 60 to receive it.)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Reserve duty plus airline is a solid combo, especially if you can get an augment instructor gig in either CNATRA or an FRS. The airlines are more accommodating of a drill schedule than most employers. Not my chosen route, but my friends who've done that seem very satisfied with their choice.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reserve duty plus airline is a solid combo, especially if you can get an augment instructor gig in either CNATRA or an FRS. The airlines are more accommodating of a drill schedule than most employers. Not my chosen route, but my friends who've done that seem very satisfied with their choice.

About half of my unit is airline pilots, not a one has had any major issues with taking as much time as they can to do reserves.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
Anyone care to weigh in on my timing question? If DH bonus expires in Sep'18 and I have a PRD of Jan'18, do I have to take orders after DH?
What is your command's change of command FITREP timing looking like? That will make a difference on how much you can work the system to stick around long enough to finish the contract.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
My understanding is that you need a minimum of 12 months from the end of your PRD to drop your letter. Not sure how your DH commitment factors in, but if it's the same as initial winging commitment. You can punch out as long as you give 12 months notice. (And you've done at least 12 months at current command since your last PCS.)

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Met with the bureau folks recently. If you have completed your DH tour, they will consider releasing you from any further obligated time from the bonus. They have said yes to this in the last year. Payment(s) for the bonus will stop (prorated), but you could leave at the end of your DH tour. I can't promise what 2018 will be like, but that is the climate as of a month ago.

Last edited: