• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are Marines funding the least?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighuggies

I would like to know why the Marines get so little funds that many enlisted say the quality of life is below standard. While the Air Force chums live it up with excellent food and brand new equipment, Marines live two ro three to a dorm room, have not-so-yummy chow food, have old Army surplus equipment, deteriorating bases, and on and on.

Granted, Marines don't expect to live on golf courses, but why aren't Pentagon/ Navy/ Marine Corps leadership doing something to make the situation better? Every enlisted Marine has agreed that there's lots of improvement that can be made with Marine Corps funding. Even Marines from before we were born say this has been the situation when they were in the Corps.

Clux4

Banned
Take this however you want it.

The United States of America does not really need a Marine Corps, but they choose to have one. The Marine Corps can really be a part of the Army. All the swift, light and amphibious characteristics of the Marine Corps can be duplicated in the Army through the formation of an Army Corps. This is why i think the Marine Corps is under funded.

You also have to remember that the Marine Corps is under the Department of the Navy, so we share funds with the Navy. The Army and the Airforce have their own different departments and so they get more money, even the Coast Guard is under Department of homeland security. One more thing to think about is the fact that the Marine Corps is no where comparable in size to these other branches.
I disagree with you on the aspect of Army surplus equipment. The Marine Corps gets pretty much the same gear as the Army because there is relative closeness in our various missions. I will add that the Marine Corps gets pass-downs from the Navy, but not sure about the Army.

Don't get me wrong. The professionalism, spirit de corp and among many other things sets the Marine Corps appart from any other branch of service. This might be a reason the congress has not considered a merger.

This is just what i think. I am sure you will get alot more people on the forum that will give you their piece of mind.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
All the money is put into TRAINING. Training for war is the number one priority for the Corps.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Clux4 said:
Take this however you want it.

Marine Corps is no where comparable in size to these other branches.
I disagree with you on the aspect of Army surplus equipment. The Marine Corps gets pretty much the same gear as the Army because there is relative closeness in our various missions. I will add that the Marine Corps gets pass-downs from the Navy, but not sure about the Army.

Man, most MC equip is infact gear that was once used by the army... example, M1A1 (vice M1A2), Cobra (when army upgraded to apache)... the list goes on.

Clux4

Banned
Does anybody know? Does the Marine Corps opt to take this pass-downs or does the big guy in Pentagon say " Hey Marines you are going to take that left over piece of sh!t" and the Marine Corps says, good to go.

reapergm

Someone told me recently that they were considering combining the Navy and Marines into the Department of Navy and Marine Corps. Is this true?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Here's a fun fact:

The Navy owns all the Marines' aircraft. That might have something to do with the overall budget.

Clux4

Banned
Thisguy said:
Here's a fun fact:

The Navy owns all the Marines' aircraft. That might have something to do with the overall budget.

Do you mean the Department of the Navy or the United States Navy. There is a difference here.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Clux4 said:
Do you mean the Department of the Navy or the United States Navy. There is a difference here.

Let's put it this way: The US Navy's and the USMC's aircraft are owned by the same organization, whether it be the US Navy or DON.

Hudson

bch, where do you get your information. I will admit that the marines use the same types of weapon systems as the Army used to but I doubt that they use hand me downs. When the Army parts with a system it is usualy not funtional or close to not functional. I know when I was in the Army our unit recieved new humvees and trust me the ones we turned in nobody wanted. I think what you are seeing is the Army upgrading to newer stuff and the marines not upgrading for what ever reason. I belive the only units to get "hand me downs" would be the National Gaurd and Reserve units. I think the new cobras. The W model is a new aircraft.
The Ospre and all of the Marine armored amphib stuff is all Marine and not used by anyone else. So even if they did get a few things from the army not all of their equipment comes from them.

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
The Air Force is more like a business than a military branch....

Ever heard "Work smarter, not harder?" So by your way of thinking, the crappier stuff you have, the more "military" your service is? The more miserable your QOL, the more manly you are? Whatever makes you sleep better at night. I gotta go tee-off. Later

Clux4

Banned
Hudson said:
bch, where do you get your information. I will admit that the marines use the same types of weapon systems as the Army used to but I doubt that they use hand me downs. When the Army parts with a system it is usualy not funtional or close to not functional. I know when I was in the Army our unit recieved new humvees and trust me the ones we turned in nobody wanted. I think what you are seeing is the Army upgrading to newer stuff and the marines not upgrading for what ever reason. I belive the only units to get "hand me downs" would be the National Gaurd and Reserve units. I think the new cobras. The W model is a new aircraft.
The Ospre and all of the Marine armored amphib stuff is all Marine and not used by anyone else. So even if they did get a few things from the army not all of their equipment comes from them.

I was thinking about that, but did not have info to back it up. Those things get roughed up as it is.

Clux4

Banned
Future Herc Driver said:
Ever heard "Work smarter, not harder?" So by your way of thinking, the crappier stuff you have, the more "military" your service is? The more miserable your QOL, the more manly you are? Whatever makes you sleep better at night. I gotta go tee-off. Later

O.k Airfoce guy,

God forbid you ever work for that military paycheck you earn. It is sad the people of America count on you and they are yet to see the day you will let them down on account of your poor work ethics and uncaring attitude. It is sad that you have to be regarded as a branch of service. I think it should have been the old way it was. The Army Air Corps.

Just move on. Blah, blah, blah

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
Just finished Navy Primary. If thats not working for a paycheck, I dont know what is. Why dont you let me know. I sure would like to impress you.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Future Herc Driver said:
The more miserable your QOL, the more manly you are? Whatever makes you sleep better at night.
I don't know about you, but whether QOL sucks or not, all I cared about is the training I received and whether it will keep me alive in the course of my career.

Good leadership and training is the key to retention in any service. It don't matter what money, high tech toys or bennies they give you, they're just icing on the cake.

I never once complained about the QOL in the ten years I was in the Corps. NO, it was not about being hard or manly it was about those things I said, leadership and training. I earned my bachelor's degree during my sixth year of enlistment in the Corps. People thought I was going to get out and "make money." But professionalism and leadership kept me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.