• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"Why Air Forces Fail"

Renegade One

None
Interesting and short slide show on historical why air forces failed...or eventually succeeded. Below is the cover note that accompanied the link when I got it:

Thursday, June 26, 2008

AFA Members, Congressional staffers, Civic Leaders, and DOCA members, last week I promised you a piece on Why Air Forces Fail. This piece is taken from a book which is on Gen Moseley's reading list entitled: Why Air Forces Fail edited by Robin Higham and Stephen Harris. We have also taken the liberty of using some information from The Influence of Airpower Upon History by Walter Boyne.

To save you time ... and interest you in these books, we drew heavily from both, and the slide briefing is a summary of both. Take a minute to review the slides - they are dynamite. As you read and digest them, think to our own future ... and see how many of these lessons can and should be applied to our future. Then ... on the last slide of the briefing, we have endeavored to look at the US Air Force - as it looks in 2008, then project what lessons a "failure" might look like circa 2025. If you look at only one slide of this 18 slide briefing, look at the last one.

You can find the briefing at:
http://www.afa.org/EdOp/AF_Failure.pdf

Let me know what you think.

Please feel free to use this briefing with civic groups (Rotary, Lions, etc), with the press, and be sure to forward the link to your friends and family.

Best
Mike
Michael M. Dunn
President/CEO Air Force Assn.

Just passed FYI. V/R, Spike

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I almost bought this book two days ago to remind me not to drink the kool-aid here, perhaps I'll go back and pick it up.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
So where does the air force's motto of spend money on everything else and then their weapons come into play? Or is that the social spending bullet?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Overly simplistic and a bit amateurish.

P.S. Don't use a Swedish plane for your Italian slide.

MrSaturn

Contributor
Overly simplistic and a bit amateurish.

Couldn't agree more. I would added disjointed as well. However, I hope these are just talking points and there is more filler when it is presented. Flexibility but specific. En masse yet small and agile. Heavily regimented yet fluid and adaptable.

What popped out to me was on page 18

Neglecting to counter adversary advances in space and cyberspace
While they fail to to provide an example I would add in a slide discussing the 1989 Air raids against our computers.

flying_toasters.serendipityThumb.png

toasters.gif

-Plagued US Army and Navy personnel who actually left desks to work.
-Frequency and duration of attacks increased due to lack of movement.
-Luxury chair padding was in sharp decline causing back pains and muscle soreness to the ever watchful and vigilant.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since my last post was so short, I did want to note that I appreciate that Renegade posted it. It does cover some Air Force's in time periods that are generally overlooked (the Polish and Italian examples) but I also think it gives some valuable insight to many on this board into the politics of defense spending.

So how did I get to defense spending from a presentation like that? Well, you have to look who created it. The Air Force Association is an "independent, nonprofit, civilian aerospace organization that promotes public understanding of aerospace power and national defense." To put it in simpler terms, it is an association interested in promoting the USAF. These organizations exist for every service; the Navy League (which covers the USMC, USCG and merchant marine too) and the Association of the United States Army (AUSA) are the other two well known ones.

These associations serve a purpose in promoting the services as well as lobbying the public and the government in support of their respective services. There is no 'official' sanction from the services for this, since the services can't legally 'lobby' and they have to toe the official line that is put out by DoD. When they don't follow the rules bad things can happen, just look at what happened to the Air Force leadership. So these organizations fill a niche/need in promoting what they see as necessary for the services, this often includes promoting certain capabilites and lobbying for fixes to what they see are gaps. In short, they often provide the PR and argue for what the services want, when the services themselves are sometimes cannot and are 'stymied' by their bosses/Congress. If you need any evidence where their focus lay, all three have their national offices within a mile of each other and just 3 miles from the Pentagon.

So, when you see a presentation like this you have to see where it came from and what their agenda is, in this case the AFA. To me, this looks like a sales pitch for the F-22 and other big ticket USAF items, geared for the general public and your run of the mill staffers in Congress. So an interesting brief, but a 'loaded' one as well.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Couldn't agree more. I would added disjointed as well. However, I hope these are just talking points and there is more filler when it is presented. Flexibility but specific. En masse yet small and agile. Heavily regimented yet fluid and adaptable.
In other words, complex problems have simple, easy-to-understand wrong answers.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
In other words, complex problems have simple, easy-to-understand wrong answers.

I want to take that quote, wrap it up, love and care for it as my own, and use it over and over until I am old / killed by young people. Just beautiful.