• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Who Is Going To NSI In Feb?

Flamedog

Freshly stashed Ensign
I have never heard of a school not giving active duty military under orders in-state tuition. When I went to San Diego city college a few years back they gave me in state tuition. You should hassle the school a little more.

Old Dominion University wouldn't grant me in-state tuition until last fall when they made the new rule to allow it. I had to pay over $1700 last summer for one class (3 hours). This is in an highly military populated state as well so it doesn't suprise me at all to see other states screwing the military over on tuition.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
Old Dominion University wouldn't grant me in-state tuition until last fall when they made the new rule to allow it. I had to pay over $1700 last summer for one class (3 hours). This is in an highly military populated state as well so it doesn't suprise me at all to see other states screwing the military over on tuition.

I'm glad ODU gives us in-state rates now because now I'll only have to pay for one class (during summer semester) out of pocket instead of atleast half of them every semester!

ELT(SS)

I just called USAA about that and they said they only do it for people that will be commissioned within 18 months, or have been commissioned withing the last year. It is up to 25K at 2% with a 5 year repayment. You have to have a savings and checking account with them and have your entire direct deposit go to them and they setup automatic payments. You can use it for whatever you want. So in a year and a half I will be bugging them again. So if you have a short college stint coming up, call them at that number M-F 7:30-6 Central time.

OneBadSSS

I just called USAA about that and they said they only do it for people that will be commissioned within 18 months, or have been commissioned withing the last year. It is up to 25K at 2% with a 5 year repayment. You have to have a savings and checking account with them and have your entire direct deposit go to them and they setup automatic payments. You can use it for whatever you want. So in a year and a half I will be bugging them again. So if you have a short college stint coming up, call them at that number M-F 7:30-6 Central time.

Sweet, I grad/commission in Dec '09 so I guess I'll be calling them in July of this year! :D So they didn't say anything about us not being eligible being that we're STA-21 selectees and not traditional USNA or NROTC students?

k_smittay

It erks me that active duty military cannot recieve in-state tuition in some states. Currently there are 33 states that allow military to recieve in-state tuition, but california is a hit and miss state. I recieved in state tuition when I went to school in California in 2002, but check out these links.

It is a bill that was denied by the California assembly. As it stands, illegal immigrants can recieve in-state tuition rates but not military. The assembly stated that the state could not afford both military and illegal fu*$%^# immigrants to recieve in-state tuition rates. How is that for a load of shit?

http://republican.sen.ca.gov/news/38/pressrelease4179.asp
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,186876,00.html

ELT(SS)

California is definately a wierd state with all of that stuff. However, I will say that place would crumble into a state of confusion and fear if the illegals all left. They work everywhere, and I am alright with that. But that does irritate me that Juan Doe pays 2K a year and I have to pay 18K

OneBadSSS

As it stands, illegal immigrants can recieve in-state tuition rates but not military. The assembly stated that the state could not afford both military and illegal fu*$%^# immigrants to recieve in-state tuition rates. How is that for a load of shit?

I totally agree, but if you think it's bad now, just what and see what could happen on a national scale if McCain is elected president!

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
//threadjack
Arizona is becoming a ghost town with the new law of prosecuting the employers of illegals.

//end threadjack

This could really use it's own thread... I don't think many illegals are going to NSI...

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
So back to loans, if you guys want a great loan, why not look into FASFA? Its a federal program to help students go to college. You can get a no interest loan or grants etc. Its all based on your needs. My wife qualified for a no-interest loan last year. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

OneBadSSS

So back to loans, if you guys want a great loan, why not look into FASFA? Its a federal program to help students go to college. You can get a no interest loan or grants etc. Its all based on your needs. My wife qualified for a no-interest loan last year. http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

I thought it was already determined that us military pukes make just a bit too much money to qualify for all the aid programs that FAFSA offers?? :confused:

ELT(SS)

I thought it was already determined that us military pukes make just a bit too much money to qualify for all the aid programs that FAFSA offers?? :confused:
I know for sure that an E-6 makes way too much, I guess it might be possible for some of the younger guys to make it, the only thing is you still have to fill a FAFSA out to apply for student loans most of the time. So I would take the 10 minutes it takes to fill one out. You need your 1040(whatever version you use) and a couple minutes. First though you have to go to their website and request a PIN to be able to do it online otherwise you have to send it to them in the mail and God knows how long that will take to get back.

1 week left and then we get to run around in the freezing cold wearing sweet sweatsuits and 100% stupendous shorts. I just want to get this over with so I can stop worrying about it and get on with moving all the way across the damn country again. 3rd time in 5 yrs. NY to CA to NH to SC to CA. Short term problems will make for 3 years of bliss though

LoneSailor

Is anyone else flying in on Friday? I'm flying out on Thursday night just in case some of my connecting flights are canceled. I've had that happen to me twice already, and since I'm flying in from Hawaii, I didn't want to take the chance. See you guys and gals there ;).

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Is anyone else flying in on Friday? I'm flying out on Thursday night just in case some of my connecting flights are canceled. I've had that happen to me twice already, and since I'm flying in from Hawaii, I didn't want to take the chance. See you guys and gals there ;).
Hope the weekend is enough time for you to adjust. I flew in to VA a few days ago from HI and its been tough so far adjusting...plus those "red-eye" flights from SATO don't help at all. But I'm sure I'll be adjusted by next weekend.

BOCOD

It is going to be rough adjusting to the time change for me. Going from east coast time to east coast time. I hope my sleep doesn't suffer.