• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

White Letter

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
That was actually "Aaay!" :D

Has this thread "jumped the shark" yet?
jump_the_shark.jpg

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
I've always felt that stuff like this should be performance based, not appearance based.

I agree! I'm 6'3" and 240lbs. which by Navy standards puts me at 19% BF, but I score excellents on my PRT's, and I see guys 5 or 6 years younger than me that look to be in better shape who are on FEP because they can't run 1.5 miles in less than 12 minutes! But yet I AM considered the "fat one" :icon_rage

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
It's always funny to see the "jellybag bags of donuts" beating the average teenager, but it all really comes down to motivation.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I agree! I'm 6'3" and 240lbs. which by Navy standards puts me at 19% BF, but I score excellents on my PRT's, and I see guys 5 or 6 years younger than me that look to be in better shape who are on FEP because they can't run 1.5 miles in less than 12 minutes! But yet I AM considered the "fat one" :icon_rage

I was in the same situation. 6'-2" 238 lbs. and could torque an SH-3 Main Gear Box by myself, but because of the measurement tables they used I was considered fat. I actually had to log so much time per week in the gym or running on the flight deck with my Div-O. Didn't matter that I maxed the PT test each year or could run the length of the Forrestal lugging a full PON-6 and a 10 point tiedown. All they were concerned with was appearance. I'd like to come back at them for my trashed knees from all of that running on steel.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There seems to be a similar thing going on for Navy officers as well. They've re-instituted the service record picture. I have a feeling if you look bad in your uniform, goodbye department head, or whatever you're up for.

There's already a post about that somewhere in AW. I know this thread's about USMC.

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
OK, I agree, performance is important. I would rather have an overweight killer next to me in battle than a fit looking pansy that can't pull his own load. Point taken.

However, appearances are also important and are (IMHO) an integral part of military bearing. More often than not the fat bastard will be outperformed by the lean and mean stud. The reverse to this is the exception, not the rule.

ftrooper

pilot
The CFT will not improve the Physical fitness standards of Corps, but it will make PFTs an all day event, take away the ability to do individual PFTs as individuals are IA'd/ deployed/ transferred, etc. Doesn't look to be all that difficult, but just an extra pain in the butt, taking more time out of an already busy schedule. My .02c
I do know that somehow embedded in this was the fact that many Marines weren't making weight, while being in outstanding physical shape, so hopefully the body fat measuring process will be fixed. Always seems to screw over the gym rats.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Doesn't look to be all that difficult, but just an extra pain in the butt, taking more time out of an already busy schedule.

Sweeping changes always seem to end up that way...SSDD.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a huge portion of all this emphasis on body weight and physical fitness in both USMC and the USN (we can't tell you not to smoke, but we highly discourage it) stems from the high cost of health care, not necessarily active duty, but for all the retirees. If the Navy can convince you to lose weight and keep it off with a culture of fitness, stop smoking, and wear double hearing protection, in a few years they'll have a lot less diabetes cases (and all the other health problems associated with obesity), lung cancer cases, and hearing aid issues to deal with, which means less money spent on healthcare. Like I said, no numbers to back it up...just a "hunch".

Flugelman

Contributor
Kind of a little threadjack...

Sweeping changes always seem to end up that way...SSDD.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a huge portion of all this emphasis on body weight and physical fitness in both USMC and the USN (we can't tell you not to smoke, but we highly discourage it) stems from the high cost of health care, not necessarily active duty, but for all the retirees. If the Navy can convince you to lose weight and keep it off with a culture of fitness, stop smoking, and wear double hearing protection, in a few years they'll have a lot less diabetes cases (and all the other health problems associated with obesity), lung cancer cases, and hearing aid issues to deal with, which means less money spent on healthcare. Like I said, no numbers to back it up...just a "hunch".

Was always very careful about hearing protection, i.e. foam plugs and mickey mouse ears, around the outside of the airplane. To no avail, though. After about 10 years of retirement the hearing started to go and now I must have hearing aids to carry on any kind of conversation. Docs say it was the time in the tube (P3) with the elevated noise levels without protection. Back then all anyone wore were the headsets, don't know what the young'uns are doing these days. Tricare does NOT cover any kind of hearing assist. I will have to go the VA route to get assistance.

GroundPounder

If I could go back and do anything over, it would be to protect my hearing. I was in the Army, and just about everything that is fun makes noise. If I wore anything at all it was usually the old style plunger type plugs. I'm only 40, but have the hearing of a old man already. Do what you can now to save your hearing, when its gone, its gone. Hearing aids make it better, but its not the same.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
"Military Appearance Program (MAP)........ assignment is distinct from BCP assignment and will focus on those who are within height and weight standards and body fat percentages, but present an unsuitable military appearance."

So even if you're within hgt/wgt/body fat standards, can run a 300 PFT, max the proposed CFT but the CO thinks you don't look good in your uniform, he can order you to lose more weight? What about skinny guys like me (who're only 10 pounds OVER minimum weight)? Can the CO order me onto the MAP to GAIN weight? Why bother with hgt/wgt/body fat standards? What about the guys that are so huge from lifting that they can barely fit in their uniform? Will they be told to STOP working out? What if I have really hairy arms? Will I be ordered to shave them? What about my huge eyebrows? Will assignment to this program affect PCS orders or assignment to certain billets. This is dumb.

Honestly, I can't imagine there are many CO's that would assign someone to MAP if they are within standards all around and can run a 1st class PFT.

The CFT.... it probably won't be as painful as everyone thinks. At least it's relatively relevent. I saw a PP brief of the proposed events. There are 7 on there and they will pick 5. They are things like: grenade toss (not live grenades, unfortunately), movement under fire (high crawl, then sprint, then high crawl, etc etc), ammo resupply (carry two 20 pound ammo cans back and forth a few times), fireman carry (sprint out, pick up your buddy, bring him back).... can't remember the others. There was no mention of how it would be scored but it's Pass/Fail.

jfulginiti

pilot
None
If I could go back and do anything over, it would be to protect my hearing. I was in the Army, and just about everything that is fun makes noise. If I wore anything at all it was usually the old style plunger type plugs. I'm only 40, but have the hearing of a old man already. Do what you can now to save your hearing, when its gone, its gone. Hearing aids make it better, but its not the same.

My can at Al Asad was literally 600 feet from the south runway.... the one that all the Prowlers and Hornets used for takeoff. Conveniently, the cans were also located at the exact spot down the runway where the Hornets would light the afterburners. The reserve single seat Hornet guys would also fly their super low break directly over our cans (they lived on the other side of base). I learned to sleep through it pretty quick but there's not much you can do for your hearing when you have to live with that for 7 months. I always wear earplugs under my helmet or headset and when doing work at home. But I know my hearing is going to suck, it's already starting to go.