• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whidbey Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooley4277

Does anyone who is at or has been stationed at Whidbey recently have any advice for a future P-3 pilot going to Whidbey next summer? I'll be starting the RAG in JAX at the end of september and guessing finishing in May-July timeframe. I've heard a lot of people live in Anacortes as opposed to Oak Harbor. I'll be looking for a single family home for my new wife and myself. Any advice on pricing, proximity to anything interesting (besides the base), would be helpful. Good golf courses, climate, anything, really. I've got a good idea of what to expect, but I just want to get some take from someone who's been there.

Also, anyone's take on SERE school would be helpful, since I'll be heading up to Brunswick in about three weeks.

Thanks,
Cooley

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
I flew up there when I was in advanced. From what I understand most of the single people live up in Anacordes (or however it's spelled). The best thing I can suggest is ask the instructors that were there once you class up.

SERE: Bring good socks.

Goliath112

I've never been to SERE but I know about good socks. Go to LL BEAN and get those fancy pant socks made for Ll bean by DuPont. I think they are called coolmax. They absorb and evaporate water. They also are warm but also breathable. I worked at LL Bean Distribution Center before. They are good socks. plus some of you will go to SERE in Brunswick Me. this is where LL Bean is at.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Whidbey is rather expensive and I suggest you rent before you decide to buy. Buying can be tough on jg pay. The area was rather inexpensive until all the P-3 pukes moved into the area and screwed it all up. Per Diem hounds! Anacortes is without a doubt gorgeous but so is that entire area. Oak Harbor has some real nice areas especially on the Puget Sound side of the island. Coupeville, located south of Oak Harbor is a quiet little community and also has some nice housing. A little more remote but some great local Taverns. Toby's tavern, mussels and red hook (the original before Bud bought them and screwed the recipe), very fond memories. The base housing office will and should have a welcome aboard packet and you should fine and endless supply of realtors. If you get your wife pregnant, you'll qualify for base housing. The housing is standard goverment issue but you can not and will not find housing with a better location (except officer housing at Camp Pendleton which sits on the cliffs overlooking the ocean). Good luck and enjoy Whidbey and remember, you are merely a guest on a TACAIR base! Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Jack

I'm currently stationed at VAQ-129 at Whidbey. I live in Oak Harbor on Dungualla Bay - Beautiful. Frumby is right on with renting. A typical 3bed,3bath relatively new house has an average mortgage of 1400-1500 bucks a month. You can rent a good place in the 1200-1300 range. Apartments are obviously cheaper but not necessarily in the nice view parts of town. I've been up here for about two months and just got back from SERE in San Diego a week and a half ago.

Good socks, get the big yellow dive socks from any NEX. Take your boots off at any opputunity and let your feet breath and socks dry out. Pay attention during the classroom portion of the class, the material is outstanding. When the going gets tough, and it will for everyone, fall back on the training that you were given, its quality training. The people that run the schools are true professionals and when its all said and done you will probably find that it was one of the best courses you have/will ever been to.

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

mcbride_t_m

Cooley (aka Mike),

Enjoy the RAG in Jax. Let Steve know that he still is a punk. Keep in touch, mcbride_t_m@prodigy.net. If ever in Cherry Point or Miramar, let me know and we can go drink some beers and smoke a few cigars. SERE school advice.... play mind games... you will understand when you get there. Cheers! Trey

Status
Not open for further replies.