• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Renegade One

None
I was spring loaded to run to the door as soon as Fed Ex knocked this morning. I can't take my eyes off it. New Speedmaster Pro. Winging gift - from me, to me.

View attachment 12612
What are…or how do you read/use…all of the apparently logarithmically-scaled numbers on the external bezel? Never understood that…let alone all of the little hands on the face.

But I assume it tells good time….if you can quickly synch it to the PLAT camera/ship's clock time every brief... :)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
What are…or how do you read/use…all of the apparently logarithmically-scaled numbers on the external bezel? Never understood that…let alone all of the little hands on the face.

But I assume it tells good time….if you can quickly synch it to the PLAT camera/ship's clock time every brief... :)
Short answer - mini whiz wheel.

Long answer - from Wikipedia: "A tachymeter is simply a means of converting elapsed time in seconds per unit to units per hour." So for example, if you started with the second hand pointing at 12:00, and it took you 30 seconds to produce something, the second hand would be pointing at the 120 on the outer rim, so you'd know you could make 120 in an hour.
Probably more useful for finding average speeds, though. If you time how long it takes to cover a mile, the second hand will point at your average speed (so if it takes 15 seconds, it'll be pointing at 240). Handy if you just need an approximation and don't wanna reach for a whiz wheel.

Renegade One

None
Short answer - mini whiz wheel.

Long answer - from Wikipedia: "A tachymeter is simply a means of converting elapsed time in seconds per unit to units per hour." So for example, if you started with the second hand pointing at 12:00, and it took you 30 seconds to produce something, the second hand would be pointing at the 120 on the outer rim, so you'd know you could make 120 in an hour.
Probably more useful for finding average speeds, though. If you time how long it takes to cover a mile, the second hand will point at your average speed (so if it takes 15 seconds, it'll be pointing at 240). Handy if you just need an approximation and don't wanna reach for a whiz wheel.
YGBSM… that's it? Perhaps useful for long-distance sailing or overland trekking…can't imagine anyone fucking around with that in a Navy airplane. But…hey…it looks TERRIFIC!

And I'm sure the chicks dig it...;)

Treetop Flyer

pilot
YGBSM… that's it? Perhaps useful for long-distance sailing or overland trekking…can't imagine anyone fucking around with that in a Navy airplane. But…hey…it looks TERRIFIC!

And I'm sure the chicks dig it...;)

F-14 pilots had a similar device for in flight calculations but it took a whole seat and wasn't quite so stylish. Smilies and shit, of course

Renegade One

None
F-14 pilots had a similar device for in flight calculations but it took a whole seat and wasn't quite so stylish. Smilies and shit, of course
Well, there was actually more capability there than you're crediting…call it faulty weapon system design if you want...:)

Sadly, there were always probably two high-tech watches in the aircraft…so no one ever really knew what the time was...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sadly, there were always probably two high-tech watches in the aircraft…so no one ever really knew what the time was...
Also sadly, the size of their high-tech watch dials, was inversely proportional to the size of their 'hangy down' appendages!;)

*Small-Dial Attack Pilot watch
CONA NA Watch.jpg
BzB:cool:

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Major props to nick for putting together a flawless X-33 order

edaba69ba4bec74174b8f394b89ff40a_zps96278f8c.jpg

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
The tachymeter origins are not from aviation. Story goes, the Speedmaster found its way in to aviation legend via the early astronauts (I don't think that's news to anyone), who liked the big watches used by race car drivers of their day. The tachymeter function was really a car driver's tool, not a pointy aircraft driver's tool, or pointy rocket driver's tool. I guess you could use it to check the average speed on your laps, or km-posts on the D-whatever highway somewhere in the Alps, where rapidly changing speeds would make your instantaneous speedometer a poor indicator of over-the-course speed.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
A couple of years ago ( post #315 in this thread) I bought my son a Sinn 857 UTC Black Tegimented on bracelet for his winging gift. He's worn it everyday since and loves it. Like we hoped, the black finish on the bracelet has developed an ever so slightly worn look that fits perfectly with this rugged, understated but striking, utilitarian watch. I'm glad I bought it for him, I just wish I could afford one for me.

sinn857s_closeup.jpg~original

sickboy

pilot
A couple of years ago ( post #315 in this thread) I bought my son a Sinn 857 UTC Black Tegimented on bracelet for his winging gift. He's worn it everyday since and loves it. Like we hoped, the black finish on the bracelet has developed an ever so slightly worn look that fits perfectly with this rugged, understated but striking, utilitarian watch. I'm glad I bought it for him, I just wish I could afford one for me.

sinn857s_closeup.jpg~original

I got a similar one with the leather strap as a winging present. I freakin' love it. Sinn is where it's at.

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
Miss the watch talk. And pics. Picked up this little beauty a couple months ago and told myself this was it for life, but I'm already eyeing used GMTs with the Pepsi bezel. Always been a sucker for pretty things I can't afford...

Attachments

• IMG_2437.jpg
    IMG_2437.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77