• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Citation3

Sinn is a good solid choice. They are good looking watches suited to aviation and are rugged and robust. I have had this 756 for 5+ years now and the time keeping is spot on. Fortis is a good option to look at as well.

IMG_1320.jpg

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
For a while, I've been admiring this one, and imagined buying it for myself as a present for finishing flight training:

(although I'll probably need to start saving now; a Breitling Transocean Chrono can run up to $8K)

But now, this one makes it difficult, considering I could wear it more day-to-day without worrying as much:
AT4027-06E.jpg

Plus, it's less than a tenth of the cost of the Breitling, and quite a bit more functional. But then again, the Breitling would look better with more formal clothes. So now I'm stumped. Thoughts?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Plus, it's less than a tenth of the cost of the Breitling, and quite a bit more functional. But then again, the Breitling would look better with more formal clothes.

Tell me you're joking... that you would pay $$$x10 for a less functional watch for the reason stated above? I doubt that even "The" Donald Trump would do that!:rolleyes:
So now I'm stumped. Thoughts?
My thoughts, I'd stick with the Citizen and invest that $7,200 in gold (but that's me).;)
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You should definitely drop 8k on a watch when you graduate API. In the words of VPOTUS, it's a "big fucking deal."

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
shit..get six or seven of 'em

Link removed

Edit by HAL Pilot: Not going to allow links to a business that violates copy right laws. I've seen more that a few fakes by by airline employeess confiscated by Customs for this reason.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
shit..get six or seven of 'em
No matter how "realistic" they claim to be, anyone who owns a real one can tell it's a fake.

Nothing says "I'm a douche" better than wearing a fake and claiming it's real.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re:"No matter how "realistic" they claim to be, anyone who owns a real one can tell it's a fake. "
concur,
i've had a real gmt master for 35 years . can spot fakes 10 feet away

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Tell me you're joking... that you would pay $$$x10 for a less functional watch for the reason stated above? I doubt that even "The" Donald Trump would do that!:rolleyes:

My thoughts, I'd stick with the Citizen and invest that $7,200 in gold (but that's me).;)
BzB
Well no, not only that reason :) , but I think it's still an important consideration; I'll bet it'd look excellent when paired with some of the more formal uniforms, like the SDB's or Dinner Dress, whereas the Eco-Drive is sort of overwhelming.
And speaking of investing, that's another thing I wonder about regarding these watches. Since the Eco-Drive is a limited edition, might it appreciate in value considerably, or would the Breitling be better for that since it's more of a high-end watch?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The eco drive is not going to appreciate. It's a watch, a tough one, but it is not an heirloom with anything other than sentimental value. That is not the case for a rolex, omega, or breitling.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Since the Eco-Drive is a limited edition, might it appreciate in value considerably, or would the Breitling be better for that since it's more of a high-end watch?
A very few rare watches will appreciate in value. The vast majority, whether a Rolex, Breitling, etc. don't. In fact, the moment you buy it, it's value probably just dropped 30-50% if you were to try and resell it. Never buy a watch thinking you'll make money off it, limited addition or not.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll bet it'd look excellent when paired with some of the more formal uniforms...[/qu0te]

Dude, when you get decked out in your SDBs, choker Whites or Dinner Dress with glistening gold "crotch keys" pinned on your chest... the last place the chicks will be lookin' at is your wrist!;)
And speaking of investing, that's another thing I wonder about regarding these watches. Since the Eco-Drive is a limited edition, might it appreciate in value considerably, or would the Breitling be better for that since it's more of a high-end watch?
I know not poop from Kiwi polish (as R1 would say), about designer aviator watches, but Citation seems to have quite a collection & lots of expertise, he could probably advise you on wristwatch investing.:)
aviator watch.jpg
*Back in the day, attached a strap for my winging Aviator Wristwatch!
BzB

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Plus, it's less than a tenth of the cost of the Breitling, and quite a bit more functional. But then again, the Breitling would look better with more formal clothes. So now I'm stumped. Thoughts?

You're so confused. This is like asking if you should buy a Porsche 911 Turbo or a KIA Soul...There's only 1 right answer.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
SynixMsn and Rocketman give solid choices. The Omega Speedmaster is a classic (love many Omegas...specifically the Aquaterra GMT or the Seamaster Chrono), and Tudor has a bunch of new watches I like (though they don't sell many watches in the US). And I could pick a BUNCH of Sinn watches-I think the Sinn EZM 10 is nearly a perfect aviator watch (full disclosure-I provided input to Sinn on this watch). It has GMT and a Chrono (stopwatch), and it has a scratch-resistant sapphire bezel.
http://www.watchbuys.com/store/m/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1552&idcategory=0View attachment 11472

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I've got the GMT-Master II. I highly recommend it. It's classy and I use the GMT function all the time. I've worn it on every flight I've ever had and the crystal shows no sign of wear. The band and casing have a little bit of wear showing but to me that just adds character to the piece.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You can never have too many quality watches. Rolex GMT Master, Breitling (4) and Omega (2) are all in the winder on my dresser. Hopefully a Panerai joins them soon.