• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
^^^^ Got it. That all makes sense. I was just curious if there was some whizzbang-amazing feature that came on the Bremont that wasn't on the Timex. (And I totally agree on the lighted hands deal.)

jazzdude

The only whizbang features are the little C-17 on the face, the timezones are labeled with common C-17 ICAOs instead of major cities, and the watch face draws heavily from the AMC patch (blue globe with yellow arrows).

Does it do anything functionally that a Timex couldn't do? Nope.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, my Bremont came in the mail a few weeks ago, and I'm quite impressed. It's my first "nice" watch, and my gift to myself after my aircraft commander upgrade. The Z time and time zone bezel are awesome for the kind of flying I do. In the short time I've owned it, it has crossed all 24 time zones as well as crossed the equator- good times. Definitely a huge step up from my Citizen Skyhawk.

View attachment 10766View attachment 10767 View attachment 10765
Sweet Bremont. I think they did a great job in the design.

I contacted Bremont about designing a CG watch and they are totally into it, but getting enough pilot's to pony up the $$ is liking pulling teeth.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Sweet Bremont. I think they did a great job in the design.

I contacted Bremont about designing a CG watch and they are totally into it, but getting enough pilot's to pony up the $$ is liking pulling teeth.

No joke. In other news, saw your red X-33 on another forum and decided I had to have one just like it. I can't wait for an out of BMI regs E-7 or E-8 type to tell me my red watchband is faddish, if I ever actually receive it (looking at you CUBuffs!)

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Cool. Still wear that red kevlar band every once in a while (it is hard to keep clean). Get grief every time I do, but that only increases the appeal.

BTW, if anyone is wondering what the X-33's successor is, here ya go:

web_speedmaster_z33_01.jpg

The Omega Z-33.

Recalls earlier Omega Flightmasters (and unlike the X-33, which is part of the Speedmaster Professional line, it is a Spacemaster), it is made of titanium and contains a thermo-compensated quartz module.

Pretty gee-whiz in the functions dept, expensive (approx $5900!), and thick as hell. No word on military pilot discounts.

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Ahhh, my Z-33 search was unfruitful because it was too small, not because there wasn't a thread. The "Omega Z-33" search yielded better results.

Thanks for the course correction and back to our originally scheduled programming.

Citation3

From Maverick's wrist to mine. The original Top Gun pilots watch landed yesterday to join the collection. The Orfina Porsche Design watch worn in Top Gun is often called the father of the big pilot style chronograph, and is often credited with starting the trend towards larger (40mm+) case sizes. The black oxidized coating was also new to the world of watch manufacturing at the time.

CSC_0011.jpg

topgun-2.jpg

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
A few pages ago someone suggested chase-durer, and no response was given. I'm curious though, has anyone owned a watch from this brand? Any opinions on its reliability?

The wife got me this as a present for my recent accomplishment.
CDmacro2.jpg

IMGA0686.jpg

No, the picture is not mine. I found this picture on another forum, but it's the exact same watch.

I've always been a big watch guy (on a small budget). I've eye'd rolexs from a distance.

I own a plain citizen.
img.jpg

An old titanium skyhawk that broke (from flying in a t-6b?). I'm not even sure. In any case, I have to send it in to be repaired. It works, but a seal broke somewhere and it is no longer protected against water.
JR3060-67E-(JR3060-59F)-2.jpg

Before I got the top-most watch and because some of my watches are on the west coast where I left them when I drove to OCS, I've been biding my time with something like this (it's not a looker, but it gets the job done).
8941-1.jpg

Hmm..also, for the same recent event, someone else in my family got me a watch. Not sure who made it exactly. But it's not half-bad. Except I have no idea how long it will last.
L1602121842L.gif

Someday, when I make a boatload of cash, I will buy a rolex. And, pretty much, every watch in this thread that doesn't have a rubber band.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
$350.00... sydney, 1969 (r&r from vietnam). i get it serviced about every 5 years. the last service was about $500.00, i think. right now, it gains about 8 seconds a day.
7363834606_8e76927693_c.jpg

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I'm looking to buy Husband an "I survived Japan watch" with the last of his amazing Japanese COLA. I'm totally out of my depth though as I know jack and shit about watches. He has a Breitling (my search of google pics suggests it is a B-1) and I'd like to find something a little smaller and perhaps a bit more dressy. I'm not a fan of Rolexes at all and he doesn't love them. I'm not a fan of mixed medals (gold and silver on the same watch) and since I'm the one buying it, I'm ruling out what I don't like.

Any suggestions? If you could have just one nicer watch (not a Rolex), what would it be? And--this is a stupid question--how does one go about buying higher end watches? Do I just march into a jewelry store at a high end mall while I'm Stateside, and look at shiny things until I find one I like? Is a specialty store better and if so, how do I find a good one? Anything else I need to know?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Any suggestions? If you could have just one nicer watch (not a Rolex), what would it be? And--this is a stupid question--how does one go about buying higher end watches? Do I just march into a jewelry store at a high end mall while I'm Stateside, and look at shiny things until I find one I like? Is a specialty store better and if so, how do I find a good one? Anything else I need to know?

Really depends on how much you're looking to spend. If he's not down with Rolex (who makes very nice stuff, and has a ton of brand cache), but thats the price range you're in, here's a few I'd recommend:

-Omega (specifically the Speedmaster Professional lineup and this one )
-Tudor, which is Rolex's little known brother. The Heritage Black Bay is my personal want right now. ( http://www.tudorwatch.com/#/en/ )
-Bell and Ross - More of a vintage look ( http://www.bellross.com/us/ )
-Bremont - They've been doing stuff with military more, and have some neat pieces. ( http://www.bremont.com )

In terms of how to go about it, I'd pick which one you want and then find an authorized dealer in Japan or nearby (Hong Kong?) that's favorable exchange rate-wise. Some will knock a bit off the price (heard as much as 10%ish, but that's a LOT), but they won't move too much. AAFES and the NEX are authorized dealers for some brands, if you want to go that route. Stick to an authorized dealer, otherwise the warranty will be void and resale value down the line will be diminished. Some brands have boutiques in big cities like New York, Tokyo, etc. No discounts there at all.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Really depends on how much you're looking to spend. If he's not down with Rolex (who makes very nice stuff, and has a ton of brand cache), but thats the price range you're in, here's a few I'd recommend:

-Omega (specifically the Speedmaster Professional lineup and this one )
-Tudor, which is Rolex's little known brother. The Heritage Black Bay is my personal want right now. ( http://www.tudorwatch.com/#/en/ )
-Bell and Ross - More of a vintage look ( http://www.bellross.com/us/ )
-Bremont - They've been doing stuff with military more, and have some neat pieces. ( http://www.bremont.com )

In terms of how to go about it, I'd pick which one you want and then find an authorized dealer in Japan or nearby (Hong Kong?) that's favorable exchange rate-wise. Some will knock a bit off the price (heard as much as 10%ish, but that's a LOT), but they won't move too much. AAFES and the NEX are authorized dealers for some brands, if you want to go that route. Stick to an authorized dealer, otherwise the warranty will be void and resale value down the line will be diminished. Some brands have boutiques in big cities like New York, Tokyo, etc. No discounts there at all.

I'm leaving Japan in about a week for COT leave, before heading to Germany, so I'd be looking to buy while Stateside.

I love those Bremonts--several of them--and I suspect Husband would like that Heritage Black Bay. You've definitely pointed me in the right direction. Thanks.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
If you like the Bremonts you might want to check out Sinn. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

It's a German watch so you might even be able to pick one up while you are there. They started out making flight instruments and that heritage shows in the look and design. In the US there is only one distributor (URL below) but they are great to deal with and service what they sell. The Sinn's are extremely rugged and striking to look at. I bought the one below for my son for his winging gift. He's worn it for about 6 months now. He loves the way it looks and he wears it all the time in the cockpit. He gets lots of positive comments on it too. He wanted the black one but I like the tegimented titanium look myself....anyway they make first class stuff that you don't see everyday.

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/sinnwatches.asp
sinn857s_closeup.jpg

I think I'm going to splurge on this one soon.
sinn857bracelet_643_detail.jpg