• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I looked into getting the deployment rubber band (like the pictured raven), I believe it was somewhere around $600.

$600 for a rubber band? That is absolutely ridiculous. I can understand spending a few grand on a finely engineered timepiece, but there is no way in hell a rubber band should cost $600, I don't care who it's made by.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Well I think it was something like ~130 for the band, and 400 for the stainless clasp. They are sold separately, but if you didn't own the rubber band before, you'd need both I believe. Again, these prices could be wrong... check with the local dealer if it's something that you are interested in (I had talked to Tourneau).

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Nice pickup Phrog...and that you got your spouse to purchase a watch as well has put you in the Guy Hall of Fame, as far as I'm concerned.

I like the Airwolf, but think Breitling missed the boat with the compass bezel (one of the least useful bezels, IMO) and the sunburst pattern. They should have stuck with a countdown bezel from the B1, or a GMT bezel; at least they didn't have the sweater/knit shirt fraying rider tabs. And I agree that the vertical stripes are meh.

I will say that at least the sunburst does make it less tool watch if you are wearing it on the weekends. And I agree on the whiz wheel...never use mine on my watch that has it, but if you're in for a dime on the aviation watch, you're in for a dollar.

I really like the Skyracer: it has a countdown bezel, a bicompax layout, a center minute totalizer (don't see those much since the Lemania 5100 went away), and the subdial at 9 o'clock has the hour and minutes registered in a very easy to read format that I haven't seen before. Just wish it had a matte dial, but I'm sure it would grow on me like it did on you, Phrog.

I also like the Chrono-matic as I'm a big fan of the 2 register chronograph in a bicompax layout...sadly, they stopped carrying it last year.

phrogpilot73

Does no one else think it looks weird for there to be half a 6 on that watch?

Not yet. I think it's great looking, but the 6 thing gets me. I think the older design looked better.

I'm with Treetop on this one. I didn't notice it until he said it, but yeah, I think it'd be better off without the 6.
For what it's worth, I noticed it at first and thought "that's odd". There's a small frame around the digital windows, and I think they were trying to make it appear as though the digital windows were mounted on top of the face. I kind of like it.

Nice pickup Phrog...and that you got your spouse to purchase a watch as well has put you in the Guy Hall of Fame, as far as I'm concerned.
Just another "+" in the column. The fact that I'm a dependent, work part time, and brew beer while wearing a Breitling should seal the deal...

I like the Airwolf, but think Breitling missed the boat with the compass bezel (one of the least useful bezels, IMO) and the sunburst pattern. They should have stuck with a countdown bezel from the B1, or a GMT bezel; at least they didn't have the sweater/knit shirt fraying rider tabs. And I agree that the vertical stripes are meh.

I will say that at least the sunburst does make it less tool watch if you are wearing it on the weekends. And I agree on the whiz wheel...never use mine on my watch that has it, but if you're in for a dime on the aviation watch, you're in for a dollar.
I agree with you about the bezel, but I have to disagree with you about the sunburst pattern. When you see it up close and really look at it, it looks incredible. Compass bezels are worthless. I would have preferred the B1's bezel.

I really like the Skyracer: it has a countdown bezel, a bicompax layout, a center minute totalizer (don't see those much since the Lemania 5100 went away), and the subdial at 9 o'clock has the hour and minutes registered in a very easy to read format that I haven't seen before. Just wish it had a matte dial, but I'm sure it would grow on me like it did on you, Phrog.
I tried on a Skyracer, but I didn't like it as much as the Airwolf. I really like the digital readout for the chrono, etc... Makes the face seem slightly less cluttered, at least to me. I think it is a nice watch though - and I'm SURE it would grow on you!

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I really like the airwolf but hate how the 6 is cut in half. I don't understand why they didn't either design it so a whole 6 can fit, or just don't put a number there. I find myself leaning toward the aerospace just because of that.

The custom Airwolf does not have the cut 6:

DSC_1378.jpg

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Uhh... Unless I am missing something, the Airwolf (not just the pictured one, any Airwolf) does NOT have a 'sweep second hand'. It's a quartz watch, so the second hand ticks like a quartz watch, rather than sweeps like a mechanical.

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Uhh... Unless I am missing something, the Airwolf (not just the pictured one, any Airwolf) does NOT have a 'sweep second hand'. It's a quartz watch, so the second hand ticks like a quartz watch, rather than sweeps like a mechanical.
I think he just meant a center second hand. And some quartz watches do, in fact, sweep.

HercDriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I also own a blue faced Airwolf. It's a nice watch, but I definitely like the Raven version better. I saw an Airwolf for the Reno Air Races that had the black rubberized bezel (like the Raven) on it. Very cool design provided it holds up. Hard to tell in the picture, but the buttons on the side also have rubberized inserts. I looked into getting the deployment rubber band (like the pictured raven), I believe it was somewhere around $600. For those of you with Airwolfs, it's something to consider to keep the bracelet from getting beat up.
That is a sharp version, but I'm hard on my watches and can only imagine how scuffed up the rubber would get. If it was a hardened pvd besel I would think it would be a better idea. No surprise about the strap being so pricey...it is crazy how much bracelets and straps can be. Also, I believe the term is deployant, not deployment.

Cartier also made a watch with that same rubberized material over a black metal band. I think it was ~$10k though. Lot's of nice watches out there, but at some point it becomes a waste since you can* wear only one at a time.

*can=should
You sound like my wife...I can easily think of a dozen watches I would like to own.:icon_wink

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Watch decision

Why not spend $125 on a good Wenger or other "Swiss Army" type & put the difference in a good, no-load mutual fundwith a strong track record? By the time you're 50, the fund will likely be worth 10X what you put in it and your Wenger might still be ticking as well as ever.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Because you might not make it to 50 and you can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy it while you got it?