• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

TacticalTater

None
Where do you recommend for legitimate service on an old Heuer?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231010-215131_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231010-215131_eBay.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 23

Citation3

What a great watch with a great Naval aviation story to tell...

Apollo 14 Ocean Recovery Watch

November 10, 2023 - November 14, 2023
No Reserve, No Buyer's premium

Proudly showcased in our auction is a Rolex GMT-Master 1675, an exquisite piece from the collection of Retired Navy Captain, Thomas Francis Finley Jr. Beyond its inherent value as a vintage Rolex, this watch tells the story of an American hero. It's a narrative woven with significant moments in history, such as the Apollo 14 recovery mission where Tom played an integral role.

Tom joined the Navy in October 1966 and piloted the H3 helicopter for a variety of special operations, including the retrieval of the astronauts from Apollo 14 after splashing down in the South Pacific Ocean on February 9, 1971. While on these missions, Tom wore this 1675 Rolex GMT-Master.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 5.29.18 PM.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 5.30.10 PM.jpeg

To enhance the lot's richness, accompanying the Rolex are personal items from Tom's storied Navy career. Imagine holding photos of him proudly wearing the GMT Master, or leafing through his flight log book earmarked with the details of the Apollo 14 mission.

But that's not all. This collection also houses Apollo 14 souvenirs, including a piece of skin from the Kitty Hawk spacecraft. A framed NASA photograph that captures Finley's helicopter above the Kitty Hawk during that iconic recovery.

Dive further into the lot, and you'll discover a signed Underwater Demolition Team II pamphlet and Tom's cherished G1 flight jacket, issued in 1967. This jacket, worn frequently by Tom, carries traces of the past with swapped patches — a testament to its history. Every item in this lot not only adds monetary value but deepens the sentimental journey that the new owner will undoubtedly cherish.

CREDIT - Bob's

Citation3

A funny anecdote, and maybe just funny to me, regarding Apollo 14 and the Rolex 1675 GMT. Navy astronaut Ed Mitchell famously wears two Rolex 1675 GMT watches on his trip to the moon.

When I was working with him on his piece for my collection I had an opportunity to ask a few questions about his Apollo 14 Speedmaster. One question I asked was “Do you recall getting a reminder from mission control or a specific checklist item reminding you to wind your watches daily?” After I asked the question there was a brief pause, and then he said: “I never worried about winding my watch, I wore a Rolex GMT.”

382471-bfc4bd079288da089be95ec0e56ed3ca.jpg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Speedy Tuesday on a BNA layover…vintage 145.022-71 on a Rothco protective band…

IMG_2494.jpeg

IMG_2493.jpeg

LATE ENTRY: Yesterday, it was Speedy Monday in DTW…it was also Mandatory Metallica Monday…

IMG_2495.jpeg

IMG_2482.jpeg

…and the Bengals won [in OT!]…probably because I was wearing the almighty old school Bengals hat…

IMG_2488.jpeg

IMG_2484.jpeg

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Attention @ChuckMK23…what’s the status of your SEIKO SPB317J1 approximately 6 hours following the regulating operations?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Headed from Cincinnati to Detroit for office duty…but first, it’s time to hit the skatepark…3861 on a Rothco protective band for skatepark duty…

IMG_2648.jpeg

IMG_2649.jpeg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Along the lines of Moon Watches, NASA just announced the selection of the Benchmade Triage first-responder knife as individual equipment for all Astronauts - starting with Artemis missions. I have the original non-blunt point version and it is simply excellent.
Shroud cutter, glass breaker, blade all in one.

1703012039249.png

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Vintage 145.022-71 Moonwatch on a modern Omega NASA strap for Mandatory Metallica Monday…

IMG_8141.jpeg

IMG_8142.jpeg