• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
What the rules with electronic watches in the vault? I’m still an SNA, but don’t want to get a Garmin Fenix 5 (or any GPS enabled running watch) or an Apple Watch (insert any “smart watch” here) and find out I can’t take it in the vault to study later in my career.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
What the rules with electronic watches in the vault? I’m still an SNA, but don’t want to get a Garmin Fenix 5 (or any GPS enabled running watch) or an Apple Watch (insert any “smart watch” here) and find out I can’t take it in the vault to study later in my career.
You can't take smart watches into classified spaces, to include any device with transmit/receive capability (like a Fitbit with Bluetooth, Garmin with GPS, etc). Plenty of people at our squadron have such watches, they just take them off and leave them with their phones outside the door. I got a Timex dumb watch because I still like to tell time when I'm waiting for a brief to end at the ITC.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Get something that looks cool and functional. Might I humbly recommend a modestly priced Seiko SRP 777 Dive watch - commonly sold in the Navy Exchange but also avail on Amazon and other resellers. Mechanical automatic movement, a truly useful time keeping bezel, waterproof. Looks great with a variety of bands. A useful timekeeper in the cockpit.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For my fellow moon watch bubbas, Kizzi has restocked!

https://www.seb12100030.com

Omega_Speedmaster_Long_NASA_Velcro_strap_Apollo_fa5ee8b6-ad15-4eb3-98d4-b81a88f0c37a.jpg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Mechanical hand wind generic flieger 17j ETA 6497-1s [that we built at the AWCI] for today...at the mall in front of the Lego Store...on a father/daughter day-date with our oldest kid unit, Hannah...

81FDCDAE-CABA-4DBA-97F1-51A7FFC7605F.jpeg

01F02256-C691-42B3-9787-5D964D91DDB6.jpeg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
How's the accuracy on that fleiger you built, mad dog?

An most excellent and valid question, sir.

As it stands at this point in time, about +2 seconds per 24 hours on the wrist. The last timing machine evolution on a Chronoscope X1 at AWCI is pictured below...notice the delta [D] of 7 and non-existant to miniscule beat errors which are pretty good. Initially, it was running at about -3 to -5 seconds per 24 hours on the wrist...so I’ve since minutely manipulated the regulator lever to the + side [moved outboard] to achieve about +2 seconds per 24 hours. I can’t stand mechanical watches [or any watches] that run slow...so +2 seconds per 24 hours on the wrist is good enough for me. Also, when I say “minutely” manipulate the regulator lever...I mean MINUTELY...I’m talking tenths [or hundreths] of a millimeter...a good loupe and an EXTREMELY light touch with a fine point plexi stick are paramount...and I’m lacking in the extremely light touch department.

CB740D55-F2D2-4D63-8BE2-9F237095ACE8.jpeg

Last edited: