• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which books to look at

vincentjus

I'm studying for the astb using the ARCO book and the pdf file highlighted on Navygouge.com. Are there any other books/sources that I should study? Does 2 weeks of study sound like enough?

BigRed389

None
I'm studying for the astb using the ARCO book and the pdf file highlighted on Navygouge.com. Are there any other books/sources that I should study? Does 2 weeks of study sound like enough?

Honestly, that pretty much entirely depends on how ready you are now and what kind of score you're shooting for.

If all you need to do is just work the rust off the math, verbal, and physics, you'll be fine.

Shouldn't take you more than a day to figure out a foolproof system for the spatial.

And the aviation/nautical stuff...it depends on how much you already know about stuff like that. Nothing rocket science, just a really broad spectrum of topics. You can get asked questions ranging from the in flight emergency transponder code to the properties of various weather conditions.

But obviously if any of that stuff scares you, then a 80 9/9/9 is out of the question.

Same goes for other sources to look at. If you're going to struggle with math or verbal, get a SAT/GRE prep book. For mechanical, I personally don't think it's time efficient in 2 weeks to bother with anything besides the gouge and the Arco. Arco is decent prep for spatial too. And wikipedia is probably going to be your best source for the aviation/nautical section.

FastMover

NFO
None
You may also want to pick up a GRE study guide. There won't be any problems on the ASTB that aren't in that book. If you only have two weeks, concentrate on working the problems in the ARCO book. Once you feel comfortable with them, you can start working in the GRE book.

See these sites as well:

http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/airplane.html
http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/course/p1-3_boatparts.htm

You should also read all of the gouge in the ASTB section of this site. There is more info here than you will know what to do with. Also keep in mind that you will need to work the problems as fast as possible. Time was the biggest issue for me when I took the tests.

Good luck...

Tom

pilot
Contributor
If you study for two weeks, you should be fine it for you do everything else right. This means get some solid sleep, eat a healthy, full breakfast and drink water. Don't show up tired, hungry, dehydrated and hung over. Treat this test as the only obstacle in the way of your dreams.

amattson12

Do not use the Cliffs study guide. It has some mistakes and can throw you off if you are using it and the ARCO. Search for the Marine Gouge too, it helped me quite a bit.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Once again this thread has been beat to death. There is tons of info regarding what books to use and which are more useful etc.....
Anyways in my opinion try to grab a copy of the Officer Candidate School Test book by Barron Powers. It has questions that are right out of the ASTB. There is even a copy of the ASTB on this site.. Look around! Anyways I may be able to send you the book if you cannot find it. PM if you want it or not. Later

vincentjus

Thanks for the input. Amattson answered my question about the marine gouge since I have that as well. I was wondering if the astb was the same for both services.
Another question: Do only pilot/nfo applicants take the astb? I've read something about an Officer Aptitude Exam which sounds like a separate test. I mostly want to make sure the astb isn't a section of a larger test.

I haven't scheduled a test date, but I want to do it before the month is over since time is an issue. I have a GRE guide so I'll hit that up as well.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
ASTB = Aviation Selection Test Battery, which is the same for Marines and the Navy. Your final score is broken up into Officer Aptitude Rating (I think the score usually goes out to be 30-80), Academic Qualification Rating (1-9), Pilot Flight Officer Rating (1-9) and Naval Flight Officer Flight Aptitude Rating (1-9). When SNA/SNFO applicants on AW talk about their score being 6/6/6/50, that's PFAR/FOFAR/OAR/AQR. If you want to go into aviation, then you take ASTB. If you are going SWO, then you take a test without aviation in it. If you want to go nuke they probably make you assemble a nuclear reaction in a shed out of old smoke detectors.

vincentjus

I tried out the Marine Gouge and got about 70% correct on the math and 80% on the mechanical comprehension. Both were my first attempts. Much better on the aviation and nautical info section.